• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Got there at 4:30 and no one else was on the pistol range. I did find that I like Speer Lawman ammo in my new Sig P250 though. Had the wife shooting clays too LOL.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I changed my mind, Ill go to that range from now on. I think the range officers have toned down. Although some idiot thought the range was cold and started driving the golfcart to the targets and the range officer was yelling flagging him down. Told him the range isnt cold yet. What an idiot..

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Went out again today and the tall Rangemaster only went apeshit when people would go to their benches during a cease-fire. Other than that, he was very pleasant. I did learn one thing.....Monarch ammo is DIRTY, but decently accurate.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Tall rangemaster? The boston accent one? Hell why cant they get Chris Christie to watch over it? Id get a kick over that, hed tell it like it is!

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Yeah, that's the one. If he were a Rangemaster, I wonder how many people would show up just to hear what he has to say LOL

Tall rangemaster? The boston accent one? Hell why cant they get Chris Christie to watch over it? Id get a kick over that, hed tell it like it is!

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    Eagle Peak range reminds me of how the Army conducted ranges, so that is something I am already used to. As for the yelling, yes it sucks but when lives are at stake among other things yelling isn't really that big of a deal in my book. Also, its the cheapest range I can find at $10 for members and $1 for five quality targets. As long as you follow the rules its a fairly easy and pleasant experience. I go there maybe once a month and enjoy the hills and scenery on the way out there. One thing I dont really like is when they pick up my weapon to see if it is loaded, when visually they can already see it is not. Just dont like strangers touching my stuff. Also, avoid the weekends like the plague, to many newbies and it makes me nervous as hell. As for the office staff, I am in and out, keep conversation to an extreme minimum. Remember your there to shoot fire-arms, this isn't social hour. Other than that it isn't bad at all.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I will not bash EP but I went there 2 times and I will not be a customer there again.
    To put it nicely, I was not happy with my range experience.
    Unfortunately I have not been to another civilian range since.

Still planning to hit Best of the West. It seemed pretty cool when I attended the Larue Day event.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I will not bash EP but I went there 2 times and I will not be a customer there again.
    To put it nicely, I was not happy with my range experience.
    Unfortunately I have not been to another civilian range since.

Still planning to hit Best of the West. It seemed pretty cool when I attended the Larue Day event.

What was it that upset you about your trip there?

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    That is interesting. Aren't they somehow related to the Garland Public range? They kidn of have common websites that link to each other. I have only been to Garland, not Eagle Peak.

The people at Garland have always been very professional and very nice, unless you are the dumbass who left your gun loaded during a cease fire, etc. Then they can get borderline abusive, but I don't think thats a bad thing under most cases.

I can highly recommend Garland, especially for 100 yard rifle. Weird that a related range would be so bad.

I was going to make the same comments. I believe they are sister facilities in that the same guy owns them both. I THINK that's the case but don't quote me on that. In any event we have always enjoyed the Garland range and go there at least once a month. They'll definitely give you what-for if you go to your bench or otherwise do precisely what you're told not to during a cease fire, etc., but when they know you're going to follow the rules and be safe and serious about your shooting, they're really nice and professional.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    Never been to a range with more pissed off and impatient employees.
    And I am not a fan of the ammo limitations, whether or not it is due to zoning or just house rules etc. No FMJ rifle ammo? Wow.

You can use a pistol caliber carbine, but its only twenty-five yards. I bring shot-guns there also. If you want one-hundred yards for Rifle your best bet would be Red's or BOTW.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've had a totally different experience with Eagle Peak than most of the posts here. Whenever my wife and I go to the range the office crew and the RSOs on the range have been extremely polite and sometimes downright friendly. That said, my wife and I are regular patrons there (at least three times a month) so that might have something to do with it. I actually like their EXTREMELY strict RSOs especially on the weekends when it's often crowded and a bit chaotic. When I go to the range on weekdays when there's a much smaller crowd the crew is far more forgiving (still strict but not as likely to touch off) and helpful.

DPSTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Leander
    Love Eagle Peak,
    Been yelled at, deserved it. and I was shooting a 22. I don't go there for friendly, but after repeated trips where they have begun to recognize me over the years and have warmed a bit. There is a good reason for no FMJ. The rules are there for safety, both for the shooters and for the surrounding community. It is an open range and FMJ ammo can't be trusted to stay put. Shooting indoors, you can prevent those fmj rounds from escaping, outdoors, you can't and they are far more prone to ricochet. I've never shot FMJ ammo in my life, they don't offer it in my caliber, and all the really good rifle ammo is hollow point or softpoint anyway. A shooting range is no place for irresponsibility. If forcing responsibility onto some of their customers drives them somewhere else, good for the rest of us.... Just like your car and the inevitable mobile phone, a gun is not a weapon until your intent or carelessness make it one.
    Roland, the big range officer with the large boston voice, has been very helpful to myself and others that I've seen at the range. Yip, he'll yell at you if you screw up, that's his job. He's just trying to get your attention in an environment where everyone is wearing hearing protection and lives are at stake. Everyone is sorry when accidents happen. Sorry doesn't fix the kind of damage carelessness or irresponsibility with a gun does.

Love Eagle Peak,
    Good Shooting,
    DPSTX

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I shoot pistol and sight in rifles. If I want to shoot my garand or rapid fire I go to BOTW. Or my land. One thing is for sure. It aint fun going to any range by myself. Dunno what it is.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I shoot pistol and sight in rifles. If I want to shoot my garand or rapid fire I go to BOTW. Or my land. One thing is for sure. It aint fun going to any range by myself. Dunno what it is.

Waiting on you. LOL botw for fmj and I'm in as long as its still cheap.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Top Bottom