• ...and so much more!
  • daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I agree totally, OLDVET~!!
    I know what you say is true.
    I love Eagle Peak and shoot there fairly regularly....even bought my house in Leander to be close and get there quickly (I used to live in Austin). It is the safest, well managed outdoor range I've been to. And their business has increased by a factor of 10 in the past few years.
    Running an incredibly busy business, where everyone has firearms and ammo, is very serious business, so...they are all business and safety oriented...from range masters to office personnel.
    Their insurance company lawyers are on their asses totally and constantly. That's not a happy way to run a business.

I tried to suggest to Jim(the owner, along with his wife Dee)...and even said I would do it myself... that the brass catching screens btwn shooting stalls needed to be extended up near the tin roof, to stop hot brass falling on shooters to the right in the next stall.
    Jim agreed, but said that the lawyers won't let them do that or anything else to the range.

I would be pissed too, if I had to put up with that BS, and threat of losing my livelihood constantly~!!
    Venture Surplus ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've worked a range before. I fully understand the issue of safety, the idiot factor with some customers at the range, liability, etc. That does not excuse an employee for acting like a complete ass, plain and simple. I worked a range, and at a couple points had 2 of them act like jerks to customers, and in no uncertain terms let them know that was absolutely not okay, and I didn't want to see that happen again. In all fairness, in the 2 trips I've had to Eagle Peak, I didn't really deal with anyone except the older guy in the range office, so I've never had an issue with anyone else there except him. Both times, I could barely make it through the front door before the guy was ranting at me and generally having a bad attitude, completely unwarranted. The first trip, he practically physically assaulted my CHL instructor, which was again completely unwarranted.

tx_transplantess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Kempner
    If y'all are ever looking for good ranges and a laid back one....I know just the one,Home - Texas Star Shooting Range

It is really a NICE range and very lovely folks as well.

If your significant other enjoys the sport as well and would like to get out among just the ladies, there is a ladies night that is held twice a month as well.

tx_transplantess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Kempner
    I have been to Eagle Peak a few times as well and I wouldn't say that the folks in the office have been the most pleasant either although, I have no real complaints. They do have a lot of folks coming and going. They sure aren't hurting for business that's for sure.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Eagle peak kicks ass if you ask me. You just can't do weekends out there unless you want to wait forever for a stall. I have been scolded once or twice for rapid fire and having to get a target during a cease fire but if you play by their rules, it's a great place to shoot. Head out there on a monday afternoon and you'll practically have the place to yourself. In my most recent visits I have actually felt appreciated and met some decent folks out on the range.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Last tome I was out there I was sighting in my iron sites on the AR I borrowed a front sight tool that didn't work and the guy with the nortjern accent helped clear a stuck casing along with another Guy that I've only seen once or twice.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    The owner's name is Jim Day. He and his wife are both TSRA Defender Members and are heavily involved in promoting gun rights. He is crabby at times but I've also had some pretty good conversations with him. Just depends on the day I guess but I don't have a problem directly with him. I do have a problem with a few of the workers / RO's due to their chronic dim-witted behavior and piss poor attitude.

nadrepadre

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Austin
    Just moved down to this great state and picked up a range card at Eagle Peak where my buddy goes shooting. About 1.5 hours before they close we went inside and switch over to 200 yds for his 30.06. We went to retrieve the target and during the cease fire and all of the sudden I hear dirt kicked up around us and my friend yells out. We turn around and it happens again. Here some asshole was zinging birdshot over from the clay range and hitting us. We quickly went back to the range master and he starts yelling AT US because I was shooting a .22 at 300 yds. I had an entire brick of ammo kicking around and my sights were all messed up on my pump carbine so I was just putting some rounds through it with the rear sights jacked way up. He says,"what the F*** is wrong with you? Shooting an iron sight .22 at that range?! It can't even travel that far!" I told him I wouldn't know because we were getting rocked by birdshot during the the cease fire. I know at that range its not gonna do much unless it hits you in the eye.

Went inside and mentioned my experience to the grumpy old man and his wife and they said,"well you shouldn't be looking that way anyways, the targets face the other way." I asked them how long they thought it would take if I walked 200 yards backwards while covering my face and head...

bottom line, I'm sure there are much better places out there with experienced and professional employees. Never going back there again.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ^wow. Pelted with bird shot? My uncle goes to their church. One of these days..well Im waiting on cody.. Ill go.

Side note why is it a lot of these guys at gun shops or at ranges always pissed or think your stupid? The one guy in Round Rock has finally after 7 years of buying from him been helpful. Ive had some good experience with some local places but, not much.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I need bullets. LOL. We'll probably go somewhere that will allow fmj tho. T can't afford to target practice with HPs anymore. Lol

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    At this rate, I'll always have the place all to myself on mondays ! Too close to home to fuss about the little things.

Yup, too cheap, and close to loose sleep over some grumpiness.. Though I've never personally experienced it.. Seen the RO's yell at folks from not obeying the rules.. That's about it..

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I was there yesterday shooting some clays with my buddy's new Rem 870 20 gauge...shoulder is killing me! If I feel better by Monday, I'll come out with my new toys and send some lead downrange.

I think I'll be headed to EP this next monday around 3pm. I'll post it in the hometown section and see if anyone else wants to hit the range.

Top Bottom