• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Once you get back to westex, you'll wonder why you even thought about it. Too much snow makes people think up odd ideas. : )
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You would want to go with 4wd not AWD. I don't think AWD was ever an option on 150s so that conversion would probably be a major ordeal. 4wd would be fairly cut and dry.

Sounds like a fun project honestly. I like to turn wrenches.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Well, what would be more appropriate for my truck, and why? 4WD or AWD?

I'm still learning all this stuff.

AWD drive is a weaker wheel drive system. AWD is mainly used on cars that see snow, lots of rain. 4wd is what trucks use. AWD is what you want on a mini van. Take an AWD off road and you stand a chance of breaking lots of stuff.

Offcamber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Fort Worth
    AWD drive is a weaker wheel drive system. AWD is mainly used on cars that see snow, lots of rain. 4wd is what trucks use. AWD is what you want on a mini van. Take an AWD off road and you stand a chance of breaking lots of stuff.

Its not weaker, just has different uses. And there are some awd trucks out there.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Ah, I see.

And btw, the majority of you folks are missing the point of this thread. I didn't ask "Is it worth it?". I asked "What would it entail? Teach me."

It's really just a silly idea that popped in my head and has sparked my interest on the subject. I realize it is more than likely a huge pain in the ass and a waste of money, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ah, I see.

And btw, the majority of you folks are missing the point of this thread. I didn't ask "Is it worth it?". I asked "What would it entail? Teach me."

It's really just a silly idea that popped in my head and has sparked my interest on the subject. I realize it is more than likely a huge pain in the ass and a waste of money, but I'm curious nonetheless.

One word on the swap. NO. Ive own Fords 4 wheel drive of those years.Mine was a single cab F150, long bed. My head lights were flat and square The older front end to yours. Independent I beams with an axle stuck through it. It makes lift kits a pain. The auto hubs are JUNK. They will skip teeth as they engage. 4 wheel drive or not. The Ibeams were an uber pain to get aligned also.

Iam kinda old school to Ford swaps. Replaced a 390 with a 429 2V in a 76 F150. Disc brakes on a 67 F150. Fuel injection swaps(from the gas tank to the entire wiring harness, air bag delete), engine swaps......

The parts go smooth together. Ford keeps some parts simple. Ive seen interior pieces in LTD's that were made for the 69 mustang(69 year part number). Hard to find cast iron mustang headers on the 64.5 to 66mustang?.....could be found on the 1970's F150s with 302s and 351w. Same thing, just with a truck part number.

It's an straight forward swap. It's just a swap to a not so good 4x4 system. Now if you want to really convert the truck. Go straight front axle.Forget the dual Ibeam crap....oh God

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ah, I see.

You will need a front axle (avoid the TTB and go solid front axle), transfer case and shifter, transmission tail shaft (or easier to just swap the whole tranny), front drive shaft, probably new front suspension, and you may need a new differential gearset (front or rear but they need to match).

Your best bet would be to buy a parts truck and start swapping.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I doubt it I once body swapped a k5 because I wanted the 350 instead of 305 it was a huge hassle I know better now!

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    The swap would require the front suspension and drive axle/driveshaft/transaxle from a donor truck of the same year (I don't know if other model years would be the same, but it's a good possibility). A new transmission and some way to engage 4wd would also be required. I believe that around that year model you'd be looking at either a push button setup, or possibly a radial type switch. I'd start my search at a local junkyard, find a truck similar to yours with 4wd and see what you find.

This is not my area of expertise, but I've built 5 cars from the ground up ranging from 2x 1968 Dodge Chargers, 1x 1969 Dodge Charger, 1x 1940 Chevrolet Coupe and a 1967 Volkswagen bug.

Top Bottom