• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Hey folks. I have a '96 F-150. 5.0L V8. Automatic transmission. Approx 145K miles. 8 ft bed. Single cab. I love this pickup. It's super awesome.
    And I got to thinking.
    It is a RWD. I think it would be more awesome if it was AWD. I know very little about the inner-workings of automobiles.
    So, is it possible to make my RWD pickup a AWD? What does that entail? What might it cost? All you truck-savvy folks, lay it on me.

Here's a pic of my truck.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363065623.524899.jpg
    Sorry, that's the only pic of my truck on my phone at the moment.
    Gun Zone Deals

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    No. Without putting 40 times what the truck is worth into it you cannot do that. Money gets things done but that would be one of the most epic ways to waste a bunch of money that I can think of.

If you're so inclined and if you are equipped with tools and mechanical knowledge you could buy a wrecked truck of the same model in FWD and change out parts.

Nice truck though. Got any pics of it when it's not snow covered?

Last edited:

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Agreed, it would cost a lot of money. I'd love to have an old square body 7.3 powerstroke. Only furd I'd drive

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Gotta know the lingo and whats what. AWD isn't the same as 4 wheel drive. And TXAR is right. Used parts would wore out. The change over would deadline your truck till you bolted everything up.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    If I'm not mistaken, 4WD where you select between 4 and 2, and AWD is 4 wheels driving all the time. Is that accurate?

Correct but AWD today can automatically shift from 2WD to AWD without your knowing it. In other words it may not be AWD all the time. The on board computer decides when it needs to change.

Little known fact about AWD: You can't rotate the tires and when replacing tires you can't replace just one. You have to replace all 4.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Well, what would be more appropriate for my truck, and why? 4WD or AWD?

I'm still learning all this stuff.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    No. But I did do the same job on an '85 Toyota truck. Bought an 85 Toyota truck (2WD) that a guy had used only to pull his airplanes around for $200.00.

Bought a wrecked 85 Toyota truck of the same model but in 4WD and swapped out the parts ($300.00, go figure the wrecked one cost more than the perfect condition one).

About a year later and about 45 hours of work and a new carc paint job I had exactly what I wanted.

I'd post pics but I don't have any on my phone but there are pics of it here that I posted last year. I posted pics of the entire project.

Offcamber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Fort Worth
    Correct but AWD today can automatically shift from 2WD to AWD without your knowing it. In other words it may not be AWD all the time. The on board computer decides when it needs to change.

Little known fact about AWD: You can't rotate the tires and when replacing tires you can't replace just one. You have to replace all 4.

Also you cant use the space saver spare tires. The spare has to be the same diameter of the oem tires.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    unless the explorer is the same platform as the f150 it would be easier for a 4WD setup since the f150 came that way..

you are talking entire front end, tranny, transfer case, springs, blocks, shifter assembly, drive shafts blah blah blah.

why do you want 4wd? if it ride height? just do a 2wd lift.. if for traction do a locker with good tires.

Top Bottom