Do you turn your cell phone off at bedtime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    my phone is nowhere near me at bedtime and my hearing is not great, so on, or off, it can ring all it wants. I will never wake up.

On the remote chance that I did hear it, it would probably get tossed in the garbage. I like my sleep, and hate the damned phone anyway.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Sadly........there is a trade-off for the convenience that technology offers.......we can only mitigate it the best ways possible.

If you don't want to be tracked.......leave the phone at home and ride a bike or walk. Then you only have to dodge the bazillion cameras that are everywhere

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I have the alerts turned off but have to leave mine on 24/7.
    My mother and wife’s mother both have serious medical issues so we to be on call if you will.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    I think I discovered last year you can turn off the basic amber and silver alerts, but Texas tied 'officer down' blue alerts with the urgent weather alerts like flooding and tornados. Very, very stupid on their behalf. It just encourages people to turn off ALL alerts including weather which can be very dangerous. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with a blue alert at 3am when it was a cop shot in Houston, about 6 hours away. It didn't wake me up however because of that do not disturb.

Like others, I have a "do not disturb" bedtime setting from I think 11:30 to 7am or something. No close family where I would be able to immediately help, but I should look into a way to always allow the lady friend's texts and calls.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I think I discovered last year you can turn off the basic amber and silver alerts, but Texas tied 'officer down' blue alerts with the urgent weather alerts like flooding and tornados. Very, very stupid on their behalf. It just encourages people to turn off ALL alerts including weather which can be very dangerous. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with a blue alert at 3am when it was a cop shot in Houston, about 6 hours away. It didn't wake me up however because of that do not disturb.

Like others, I have a "do not disturb" bedtime setting from I think 11:30 to 7am or something. No close family where I would be able to immediately help, but I should look into a way to always allow the lady friend's texts and calls.

but then you cant get the fun midnight calls about your family member being stuck in a Mexico jail and you need to send out $2,000 in giftcards or they will be sent to general population.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Just recently got a new phone so I disabled the amber alerts. Didn't disable the emergency alerts, so yes, I got woke up at 4 am the other morning with a blue alert about a dangerous and possibly armed person who shot a sheriff's deputy in Hall county, 400 miles away from where I live.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    but then you cant get the fun midnight calls about your family member being stuck in a Mexico jail and you need to send out $2,000 in giftcards or they will be sent to general population.
    I've heard of that scam and have only ever gotten called once with it on my work cell. Unknown number, 7pm, audibly crying asking for help. I immediately knew it was a scam and asked if she needed help with her algebra homework. The caller hung up right away.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Or did the "blue alert" alarm wake you at 4 a.m., a couple of nights ago?
    My phone stays on do not disturb 24/7. Only my wife and daughter can ring through, but it's only because they're the only people I actually want to talk to. They're both smart enough to not call me for an emergency. Call emergency services if you have a damn emergency, not family members.

I've had all those stupid alerts disabled for years. What do they expect me to do, jump out of bed and form a pose?

Top Bottom