• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So there's a very important runoff coming up. While both claim to be "Conservative" and both are Republican, they have very different platforms that could significantly impact YOU for years since Republican Senators from Texas seem to serve until they die or retire. One's endorsed by Perry, the other by Paul.

Dewhurst killed campus carry, open carry and TSA anti-groping measures. If he makes it up to Washington does anyone expect him to be anything other than a "Business as usual" senator?

I bring this up so that people will go research before voting.

Home | Dewhurst for Texas
    Ted Cruz for U.S. Senate
    DK Firearms

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Isn't Dewhurst the moderate and Cruz the Tea Party candidate? Vaguely remember hearing something about this on Texas NPR.

Basically. Dewhurst does a great job of talking conservative and then killing bills behind the scenes. Not just on the TSA bill. He also had a hand in derailing the gun rights I mentioned before.

Cruz is endorsed by the GOA (Gun Owners of America), NRA, as well as a ton of others such as...Hannity, Paul (both of them), Santorum, Palin, Mark Levin, Toomey, and a whole bunch of others. I consider the endorsements to be from both Conservatives and Libertarians.

- Wayne Lapierre (NRA) says:
    “Ted Cruz is one of our nation’s leading defenders of the Second Amendment.”

- Cruz was also instrumental in Heller... Article
    NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Chairman, Bill Dailey said, “Ted Cruz’s contributions in the District of Columbia v. Heller and the McDonald v. Chicago cases were vital to the Supreme Court’s ruling in the favor of gun rights. We are deeply grateful for his unwavering efforts in our fight to protect the Second Amendment.”

Dewhurst is endorsed by Perry (his Crony buddy), Huckabee, NRA, and some other associations. Still, his 2Acreds can't touch Cruz.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If Cruz wins then Dewhurst still runs our Senate. If Dewhurst wins then Dewhurst represents us in Washington. Which is the lesser of two evils? Last session was a catastrophic betrayal for gun rights in Texas, when so much progress can and should have been made, and I hold both Strauss and Dewhurst responsible. But I'd rather have Cruz in DC...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If Cruz wins then Dewhurst still runs our Senate. If Dewhurst wins then Dewhurst represents us in Washington. Which is the lesser of two evils? Last session was a catastrophic betrayal for gun rights in Texas, when so much progress can and should have been made, and I hold both Strauss and Dewhurst responsible. But I'd rather have Cruz in DC...

I hear ya.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The Feds would have backed down on the groping bill. They don't want to stop all flights into and out of one of the busiest states in the union.
    If he had called their bluff, not one flight would have been cancelled.

Vote Cruz.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have no preference for either, since I do not believe in the direct election of Senators, but believe in the founders' original intent to have Senators appointed by the State Legislatures.

While Cruz may be a Tea Party favorite, I doubt he grew up with the life experiences of most Tea Party members who did not go to Ivy League Schools. He got a Harvard law degree, clerked for a Supreme Court Justice, made a career in Big Government, did a short stint as Solicitor General of Texas, and went into a corporate law practice. Nor have I ever heard Cruz call for a repeal of the 17th Amendment which calls for the direct election of Senators. Has he ever been to a Rodeo?

Dewhurst got his college degree outside of Texas, too, and served honorably in the U.S. Air Force & Central Intelligence Agency, then moved to Houston where he made a fortune in the energy industry. After achieving his dreams of enormous wealth, he went into politics, and has become a career politician.

It is very unlikely either one would invite me to their hacienda for a cold beer, and a hamburger.

Since neither are for "re-distribution of wealth," I'll let the partisans battle it out in the run-off in July, then reluctantly vote (R) in November.

'Nuff said.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I get the founders' intent. I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't.

Reading your post it sounds like your personal identification with the candidate is more important than their policy stances and political history? FYI, these guys have very different histories of actions backing their "stances."

Also, Dewhurst consistency supported legislation that increased Texas budget and the size of government, which inherently redistributes wealth. Yes, even as a Repbulican he's part of the reason for Texas' budget issues.

Not trying to flame you, I get the allure of apathy. I just disagree that your logic results in any better result for the people of Texas or the US. I get that some people think its fine how it is, but if we want better results we have to be active in the primaries.

'Nuff said

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom