Guns International

Deciding if you want to get into motorcycles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    OK, I’ll try to be a voice of reason. I’ve owned some type of motorcycle since 1961. I’ have an 07 Harley Road Glide with 42K miles sitting the garage. Taking a 700 mile round trip to Louisiana next week. So , these is my rambling comments.

Motorcycles are dangerous. No, I mean they really are dangerous. Some car will try to kill you every time you’re riding your bike. There have been a couple of studies on the causes of motorcycle accidents. The leading cause is drivers not seeing you. Excessive speed is the second most reason.

Most motorcycle riders don’t ride very much. It’s too hot,too cold, too windy or a chance of rain. Also a lot of people just think they wanted a motorcycle. I’d guess upward of 50% of new motorcycle riders quit riding within a year or two. It’s the norm to find five year Harleys with 5K miles on them for sale.

If you buy a crouch rocket (ZX-14, Hayabusa, etc..) you won’tbe able to help yourself. At some point you will ride it 150 MPH. The impulse is too strong to deny.

Big heavy bikes aren’t good for riding around town. Eight hundred pound Harleys aren’t good in-town commute bikes. On the other hand,lighter sport bikes aren’t good for touring. After an hour or so the wind will beat you to death at 70 MPH.

Generally learning to ride on dirt bikes will make you a better street rider. So, my advice is buy a street legal dual-sport bike as your first bike. They’re light and easier to handle. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Ford1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Conroe
    Make sure you get one you can go anywhere on. Bigger the better

2012_honda_goldwing_gl1800_16.jpg

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Like Clarke said, I already bought a SV650 about two weeks ago and love it. Rode it to work on Monday but have been sick the rest of the week, hoping to get back on it this weekend. Ordered some saddlebags, RAM mount for my phone, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth communicator, and led lights on Tuesday that should be coming in today or tomorrow.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Like Clarke said, I already bought a SV650 about two weeks ago and love it. Rode it to work on Monday but have been sick the rest of the week, hoping to get back on it this weekend. Ordered some saddlebags, RAM mount for my phone, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth communicator, and led lights on Tuesday that should be coming in today or tomorrow.

Congrats.... I try to ride to work when nice. I rode the past 2 days in the nice weather we had. I get off in the middle of the night and make sure my i wear a reflective vest going home.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    If you buy a crouch rocket (ZX-14, Hayabusa, etc..) you won’tbe able to help yourself. At some point you will ride it 150 MPH. The impulse is too strong to deny.
    True words, and on those bikes you'll hit that with 6th gear left to go. A note on the speedo though; they are commonly off by about 5-10% or more or on the high side, meaning that someone claiming to hit 150 was probably closer to 135 or so. This is true of many types of bikes, not just the zoomies. Use a GPS device to verify the accuracy of the speedo, and go here if needed:
    HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yeah, my speedo is off by 8%. The SV isn't quite as speedy as the inline 4's but have heard that they top out around 130 which is more than enough.

Installed a new Sena Bluetooth system in my helmet today, a RAM mount for my phone/GPS, and motocentric saddlebags for the commute. Also got in a LEDglow led accent kit to help light up the bike at night...with the million color kit I can set any color or change it on the fly thanks to RGB LEDs. Should help with visibility.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Yeah, my speedo is off by 8%. The SV isn't quite as speedy as the inline 4's but have heard that they top out around 130 which is more than enough.
    Fast enough to go to jail and have the bike impounded - what more do you need? :p

Seriously though... The SV650 v-twin doesn't have the top-end horsepower of an I-4, but it has lots of usable power in the lower RPM ranges while the I-4 starts waking up somewhere around 8-10k. I haven't ridden one, but I've heard they're more fun as an everyday ride than an I-4 because of the low-end torque.

Top Bottom