• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You're better off not using a tracker on your car.
    A few dollars lower insurance premium isn't worth surrendering my privacy. The lack of activity on my driving record should provide my level of risk to the insurance company. Tracking the daily movement of my vehicle, destinations and times is more than the insurance company needs to monitor.
    Target Sports

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    A few dollars lower insurance premium isn't worth surrendering my privacy. The lack of activity on my driving record should provide my level of risk to the insurance company. Tracking the daily movement of my vehicle, destinations and times is more than the insurance company needs to monitor.
    Exactly. Its a bit tinfoil hat but insurance companies aren't altruistic in finding you a few dollars for a discount. They'll take that data and interpret it to their benefit: You slammed on the brakes and pulled 0.8g of lateral force? Sounds like dangerous driving, here's your premium increase. We don't believe your story of you were trying to avoid a roofer's ladder falling off a truck.

We noticed you regularly stop at 5300 Adams street and we noticed there is a bar there. You're there an average of 1.5 to 2 hours at least twice a week. We don't care you're having 1 or 2 pints with buddies after work, that just means you're likely to be involved in an alcohol crash. Heres your higher premium for risky behavior.

You were going 70mph in what is indicated to be a 65mph zone. That is speeding, we don't care our records are inaccurate and the road actually has a 70mph speed limit. Heres your higher premium.

Its giving them too much information for their benefit. Now, don't lie on your insurance application; don't claim a vehicle will only be driven 3000 miles a year when in reality it'll be 12,000. They can drop you and deny claims for that but just handing over info to someone trying to harm you (by extorting more cash) isn't the smart move.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    So it wasn't a good idea to let them paint large numbers on the roof of the car?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Insurance on the modern cars (USAA) has gone up about 50% in the last three years. Dunno if that's just inflation or the 5 fucking hail claims I've made in that time. Probably a little of both.

The classic car insurance (Grundy) has stayed the same fortunately.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Probably the claims. I have a coworker that puts in a claim for every dent and scratch, and his premium is a shade over $800 per month. He does have a teenage driver too which doesn’t help.

Some of these claims it’s just cheaper to pay out of pocket. Wife hit a gator on I45 when her suv was just over a year old. $1600 and some change to get the bumper replaced and painted. We have coverage for that but just paid out of pocket. Last month, hit and run on the Camry. We didn’t do uninsured motorist claim and instead just paid the $1500. Something catastrophic then use insurance, but the small stuff will cost more in the long run by claiming on insurance.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I'm sure vehicle options matter too. In 2019 I went from a dumb and inexpensive ($22k in 2016) Mazda to a Jeep Wrangler priced over $40k and my insurance went DOWN. In 2022, went from a dumb SUV to one with more sensor crap than I care and my insurance rates jumped pretty good. The Jeep doesn't have all the whiz bang sensors and I know it would be less expensive to repair in a lower speed crash compared to the new plastic SUV. I'm paying $156 a month full coverage for 2019 and 2022 vehicles that msrp'd in the low $40k range though I was paying around $130 the year before. I do remember paying near $400 a month around 15 years ago when I had two teenaged drivers and 4 vehicles...back when vehicles were much less expensive.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I just got my bill… rates increased 31%

Time to shop for better deal… I’ve been with my insurer for years and have two homes (one is rental), two cars, and an RV trailer insured… plus an umbrella liability policy.

That’s a LOT of annual premium. We are low risk / low mileage drivers too.

They will need to do better or lose our business.

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    About the same with mine, not just auto insurance either, homeowners went up over 50%. No claims, 10+ years with the auto insurance and 5+ with the homeowners which is directly reflected in escrow raising my damn mortgage payment.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    For how many cars?

2024 3/4 ton truck
    2024 4Runner
    2018 Colorado
    2008 3/4 ton beater truck (liability)

In 2016 I left USA due to rate hike when my son started driving
    Went back to Geico

2020 Went to State Farm cause I knew the local agent and she made me a deal..then they kept going up and then said to bundle house in for discount which I did in 2021..then they kept jacking house and car up with no claims

So I took the cars back to geico and the house with a different carrier

Saved $850/yr on car and $1300 on house with same coverage

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I've switched everything
    Home and auto
    Doing what I can to save a little without losing coverage

My auto insurance alone is $3000/6 months
    Listening to the commercials talk about all the savings, if you switch companies three times your insurance is free.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    2024 3/4 ton truck
    2024 4Runner
    2018 Colorado
    2008 3/4 ton beater truck (liability)

In 2016 I left USA due to rate hike when my son started driving
    Went back to Geico

2020 Went to State Farm cause I knew the local agent and she made me a deal..then they kept going up and then said to bundle house in for discount which I did in 2021..then they kept jacking house and car up with no claims

So I took the cars back to geico and the house with a different carrier

Saved $850/yr on car and $1300 on house with same coverage
    Jeez, yeah that's a lot for essentially three vehicles. The liability only on just one shouldn't be much at all.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Rates are increasing hand in hand with repair expense. Car repair costs have skyrocketed. We just had a $3000 deer hit repair. Hail damage last year on an aluminum F150 went almost $15,000. We had two cars totaled from the same hail event. It all adds up.

I have been with State Farm for decades and when I compare rates, I am far below any other providers.

Top Bottom