• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    A vehicle insurance policy is only as good as their claims process. Cheaper rates mean zilch if they don't help you when you need them. Period end of sentence...
    I’d think the claims process only matters if you make a claim on your own policy. I wouldn’t give two spits how the process goes for someone else putting a claim against my policy. Even then, how often would you be putting in a claim for the process to matter enough to pay extra?
    Gun Zone Deals

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a 2024 Ram a Jeep Grand cherokee, 2008 Chevy and 2018 Colorado...it's insane what I'm paying now.
    And it's going to get worse
    The inflation that has caused us all to pay more for everything also made the insurance companies pay more for repairs so they are going up to recoup.
    Then all the hail this spring and summer didn't help anything

Were just gonna have to bend over for a few years I guess

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I’d think the claims process only matters if you make a claim on your own policy. I wouldn’t give two spits how the process goes for someone else putting a claim against my policy. Even then, how often would you be putting in a claim for the process to matter enough to pay extra?
    If they don't pay. Or they don't pay enough to cover a decent repair.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    EV's won't help. Just read about one of the EV pickups. Bad dent in a rear fender. 2.5 months and $22k (yes, you read that right) for the repair.

And if he was with your insurance company, your premiums helped pay for it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Here's a dirty little secret most agents won't tell you......remember when you called about the hailstorm, and let them know you were going to have the roof inspected, only to call back a week later to tell 'em no damage was seen? That's what a good policy holder does, right?
    Well.....that initial phone call is logged AS A CLAIM. ANY inquiry about a potential claim is considered a claim. My agent warned me about this several years ago, and it's been confirmed by other agents. I now get 3rd-party inspections/opinions (even on vehicle related issues) before calling my agent/insurance. If it's not 3-4X my deductible, I don't file - the raised premiums outweigh the "gain".
    One other thing......carrying "minimum limits" is russian roulette - hitting a 1-2 year old vehicle (your fault) can easily be a $70-100k claim.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    EV's won't help. Just read about one of the EV pickups. Bad dent in a rear fender. 2.5 months and $22k (yes, you read that right) for the repair.

And if he was with your insurance company, your premiums helped pay for it.

IF they don't total it. Many insurance co's don't want the potential liability of a rubbed/damaged power lead getting by the inspection process, causing a fire later. And Tesla is developing a mono-formed chassis......wanna think about what THAT is gonna cost to replace?

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    A car repair is the least thing an insurance company pays out. All these TV lawyers are driving up our rates. Insurance companies don’t do this service out of the kindness of their hearts. They need to make money. Jury’s are throwing around monetary awards like Oprah giving away free shit.

It’s ridiculous the liability being placed on folks by the courts. Alamo CyclePlex in San Antonio was successfully sued for a fatal motorcycle accident. The rider was wearing a helmet that was sold by them, new. Problem is he wasn’t the buyer. Someone had bought it years ago and then sold it online. Alamo never sold this man a helmet. He bought a used helmet in unknown condition. His family sued the bike shop not the seller. Alamo’s insurance settled and paid.

My aircraft insurance has gone up 5x in the last 10 years. I’ve had 0 claims and my hours (experience) have increased by over 1000.

So if you want someone to bitch to, call 444-444-4444! That’s the lawyer that sued Alamo

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69ChevelleLSX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    Texas
    Geico did the same to me. Went to $1800 for 2 trucks and a Jeep.
    Called around and progressive wanted $700 for the same. Progressive has went up about $100 per renewal. So I’ll shop it next time.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Rates are going up for a few reasons, some already mentioned.
    1. Inflation.Yeah, the economy "is the strongest it has ever been".
    2. EVs. Just fart on one and they are totaled.
    3. Uninsured motorists. More and more people either cannot afford insurance (ref. #1 & #2) or they no longer fear being arrested for not having it in spite of the law.

You can thank your local Liberal for all 3 reasons.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    3. Uninsured motorists. More and more people either cannot afford insurance (ref. #1 & #2) or they no longer fear being arrested for not having it in spite of the law.

FJB

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

Option #3 almost sounds viable. So many others do it, so the the punishment might just be less than the insurance cost in some cases. I mean, if you can get a ticket for no insurance but are still allowed to drive off once the officer is done writing the citation, then something is wrong.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Option #3 almost sounds viable. So many others do it, so the the punishment might just be less than the insurance cost in some cases. I mean, if you can get a ticket for no insurance but are still allowed to drive off once the officer is done writing the citation, then something is wrong.
    I don't know that you would be allowed to keep driving.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    I don't know that you would be allowed to keep driving.
    Well, I learned by first-hand experience in July. A driver fled the scene of an accident he caused "because he did not have insurance". He ran a red light hitting my truck (totaled), hit another truck, then rolled 3X. He had to be cut out of the truck he was driving but did not own. After receiving medical care, he literally walked away.

Police told me he has been driving without insurance for 4+ years. They have cited him many times but he never gets prosecuted.

It not really a matter of being "allowed", who is going to stop themfrom getting behind the wheel? Also, many are illegals who seem to get a pass on everything.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, he didn't drive away from your wreck.

You don't state the police let him drive away after the times he was stopped and had no insurance.

If the police allow him to drive away after ticketing him for no insurance, that makes them liable if he were to get in a wreck.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Well, he didn't drive away from your wreck.

You don't state the police let him drive away after the times he was stopped and had no insurance.
    I was not there to witness what happened in those cases. The police knew who he was without seeing his ID. They seem to know him well.
    If the police allow him to drive away after ticketing him for no insurance, that makes them liable if he were to get in a wreck.
    I talked to the Police Chief when I picked up the accident report. He said it is a traffic violation similar to speeding, etc. so a ticket is issued and they are expected to appear or pay the fine. Per the accident report, he was issued 3 tickets for the wrecks he caused that day.

IF he owned a vehicle, he would not be able to license it without insurance. Did not stop him from driving in this case.

Last edited:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I've said elsewhere, several insurance agents told me that the main reason insurance is so high is because of drivers with no insurance causing wrecks, and that the number of unlicensed drivers is skyrocketing. You can connect the dots...

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've said elsewhere, several insurance agents told me that the main reason insurance is so high is because of drivers with no insurance causing wrecks, and that the number of unlicensed drivers is skyrocketing. You can connect the dots...
    I had a neighbor who drove for years with expired paper plates, do you think she had insurance? Even destroyed at least 3 of her cars replacing them with newer models. One time a hit and run, when caught I don't think anything happened to her, we saw she was being sued. After a while the suit was dropped.

Top Bottom