• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Our insurance has gone up greatly the last 2 years, with the biggest increase this year. We're now being billed every 6 months, by Geico, almost $1300 for 2 cars, one driver, and we won't drive over 7,000 miles a year. USAA was able to give me a quote of a few dollars less if we get homeowner insurance through them. $2600 a year just to drive to HEB, doctor appointments, and Wal-Mart seems a bit expensive to me. Anyone getting any better prices?
    Try Farmer's.
    Capitol Armory ad

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Our last 6-month premium with GEICO was $486.12. It is now down to $1228.73 for 6 months after I called them to haggle. I told my wife that if I have to pay outrageous premiums, I might as well pay them on something fun to drive, so I want to buy a Corvette. She said go ahead, just leave her alone. I went shopping online. For a 2024 Corvette 2LT at $80K, our insurance would only increase $427.16 every 6 months. I'm tempted.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not me.....wife no longer drives, but to keep her happy I keep the 2022 BL Aviator - insurance is about $2k/yr. I decided I deserved a usable toy, so I bought a '20 Jeep Gladiator pretty loaded out yesterday......drove the dealership nuts because I wouldn't even come in for a test drive - just told them to send me their best price. Long story short, pushed 'em down another $4k off their "best no-haggle price" by telling 'em to get it right if they wanted to sell it "today" (Friday). They finally did, had 'em send me the Buyer's Order. Then they asked about getting my info to prep my paperwork for finance....told 'em not to worry, I was stroking a check.....lol
    Anyway, the Aviator is now a "secondary" car, and the Jeep listed "for pleasure" - actual insurance is DROPPING by $700 for BOTH vehicles. Go figure.....
    Now to sell my '47 Ford.......

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Although not car insurance, my home owners will go up 52% over last year. I did some checking and everyone else wants much more. The reason is the roofs replaced during hail storms this year. So I am stuck. Truly sucks the big one

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Although not car insurance, my home owners will go up 52% over last year. I did some checking and everyone else wants much more. The reason is the roofs replaced during hail storms this year. So I am stuck. Truly sucks the big one

Before you give up, check w/Farm Bureau and Germania. Pro Tip: Germania considers firearms "household goods". For those of us w/larger collections, it's VERY handy - even a smaller collection makes it nice. And NO scheduling.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    The insurance on my 2016 Tundra, full coverage for a year is $1280 as of today. Age 75 now. I've had AAA club membership (get it) for almost 20 years and the vehicle insurance as well. Haven't been pulled over since 1974, knock on wood. My wife is automatically included on the policy as my spouse and she has a great record as well. I would give AAA a call and be honest with them. My wife can also get great coverage on her Honda and homeowners on her house if she would at least inquire but State Farm has her ensnared.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Made a claim for a new roof my home insurance doubled right after.
    Went with bundling with my other insurances and it was cut by 65%.
    My Hagerty Classic car insurance is $312 per year for $26000 guaranteed payout for loss of car. Plus it matches my regular car insurance for accidents and bodily injuries.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Before you give up, check w/Farm Bureau and Germania. Pro Tip: Germania considers firearms "household goods". For those of us w/larger collections, it's VERY handy - even a smaller collection makes it nice. And NO scheduling.
    I have been impressed with TFB.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I asked a neighbor of ours who she uses. Since she knows just about everybody I thought she might be of help. She was, she gave me the name of an agency. I went to them and got everything, home and cars, at about $2K a year less than we would have been paying.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Wife’s CX9 is full coverage. Liability & uninsured motorist only on the F150 and Camry. Deductible on the CX9 $1k comp/collision, and $250 deductible uninsured motorist on all three.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Mine is $280.54 per month for full coverage on a '06 mountaineer and a '08 Malibu with liability, both have uninsured driver and underinsured motorist.
    It's ridicules the prices.
    When I was 16 years old I got my drivers license, that was 1970, my Dad made me pay the increase in price for our 1955 chevy pickup. It cost me $75.00 per year.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I was reading about insurance based on the mileage you put on the car. We are retired and some days the car doesn't leave the garage, I'm thinking it might make sense. Allstate is one of the providers for that.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was reading about insurance based on the mileage you put on the car. We are retired and some days the car doesn't leave the garage, I'm thinking it might make sense. Allstate is one of the providers for that.

I've already stated I use that type of coverage.
    We don't drive much.
    Full coverage for two vehicles, $1000 deductible, is about $100/month.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I suppose if there is one benefit to car inspections, it’s that mileage is documented by a third party making it easier to argue for low mileage insurance rates. My employer and my wife’s employers both adopted hybrid work schedules since the Covid scam, which greatly reduced the miles. Between the two of us on three autos and four bikes, we only logged a little over 21k miles for 2023, and that included a 2500 mile road trip.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    You're better off not using a tracker on your car. Just call your agent and tell them its now a leisure car driven less than 4000 miles per year or whatever their cutoff is. If you say its your primary vehicle they assume you're driving the statistical average of 12000 miles per year.

I wish I knew who to ask why bundling multiple policies somehow makes them slightly cheaper. Yes the company wants all the business and premiums they can possibly get, but some carriers are now refusing to write a single line policy. Doesn't seem to make sense to tell a homeowner 'no' unless they bring over a car, business, motorcycle, and life insurance policy.

I know most carriers had a horrendously bad couple of years (2 crocodile tears from me) and I have a feeling it'll draw some negative attention soon from legislators are hellbent on making it worse.

Top Bottom