Lynx Defense

Correct Texas pronunciation of various towns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    You-ston

I remember being taught how to pronounce it in the first grade.

Pronouncing the silent “H” would have you cursed by our teacher, Ms. Sinclair, for being a Yankee Carpetbagger!
    I'm not sure where the Y pronunciation comes from, it's spelled with a 'Yud' (Y sound) and not a 'Hey' (H sound) in Hebrew (and usually Yiddish) and has been standardized that way for a LONG time; Wikipedia's Yiddish-language entry has it Hey-Yud (HY) for some reason.
    Being born here and living here most of my life, I've no idea how I pronounce it.

The bigger question is if 'Bayou' is buy-yoo or buy-yo, buy-yo is correct for Houston but everybody says it wrong since that stupid CCR song.

And don't even bother trying to pronounce Mirabeau Lamar's name with somebody that isn't from Texas!

Eli

Psssniper

Broke down south of Dallas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Corsicana
    Seems that Italy has been corrupted here in Texas as It-Lee. My ancestors are from Italy and none of them ever pronounced it It-Lee!

I have been corrected many times at the grand kids basketball,football & baseball games as to the correct pronunciation :roflsmile:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Seems that Italy has been corrupted here in Texas as It-Lee. My ancestors are from Italy and none of them ever pronounced it It-Lee!

I have been corrected many times at the grand kids basketball,football & baseball games as to the correct pronunciation :roflsmile:

There's also the town of Edinburgh down on the coast. Named after Edinburgh, Scotland (which is pronounced "Ed-in-burra"), it's pronounced..."Eden-berg".

Sigh.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    There's also the town of Edinburgh down on the coast. Named after Edinburgh, Scotland (which is pronounced "Ed-in-burra"), it's pronounced..."Eden-berg".

Sigh.
    Edinburg-TX-lawn-care-service-area-78504.png

Pretty good distance from the coast

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The bigger question is if 'Bayou' is buy-yoo or buy-yo, buy-yo is correct for Houston but everybody says it wrong since that stupid CCR song.
    We'll have to defer to our Louisiana friends for the correct pronunciation.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'm not sure where the Y pronunciation comes from, it's spelled with a 'Yud' (Y sound) and not a 'Hey' (H sound) in Hebrew (and usually Yiddish) and has been standardized that way for a LONG time; Wikipedia's Yiddish-language entry has it Hey-Yud (HY) for some reason.
    Being born here and living here most of my life, I've no idea how I pronounce it.

And don't even bother trying to pronounce Mirabeau Lamar's name with somebody that isn't from Texas!

Eli
    Buy-yo!

Always cringed when Linda Rondstat crooned about Blue By-YOU!

Reactions: Eli

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    The way I deal with many town names is to remember that "i" is usually pronounced like a long "e" and there are not too many long a" sounds in town names. But, nothing is for sure because these names come from people's surnames or Indian origin

Top Bottom