Austin - Rockdale
    125185231_3742790922410941_6463474139093627782_n.jpg

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    90% effective for a virus that has about a 0.01% mortality rate...

Take the statistics for whatever source you like but if you use the Texas Medical Association numbers there have been 963,019 cases with 18,769 deaths on 11/10. That calculates into 1.95% mortality. A little different then your figures. My local hospital is packed with Covid cases, many critical. We are not out of the woods yet.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Take the statistics for whatever source you like but if you use the Texas Medical Association numbers there have been 963,019 cases with 18,769 deaths on 11/10. That calculates into 1.95% mortality. A little different then your figures. My local hospital is packed with Covid cases, many critical. We are not out of the woods yet.
    Funny, my calculator says .019, and by saying "18,769 deaths on 11/10" makes it sound like a one day total.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Funny, my calculator says .019, and by saying "18,769 deaths on 11/10" makes it sound like a one day total.
    Let me explain percentage, 18,769 x 100/ 963,019 =1.948975% mortality. Yes, you are right that was not a one day total for either total deaths or total cases, just what was reported on 11/10. We are talking percentage so we multiply by 100. I don't know where people get 0.01% mortality.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    90% effective for a virus that has about a 0.01% mortality rate...
    Having recently recovered from covid and having spent two weeks getting short of breath and breathing like someone who is 69 and out of shape who just climbed a steep hill from walking fifteen feet to the bathroom and back, 90% sounds pretty good. Sure 99% survive but for many there are weeks of misery that have to be lived through. I would rather have had the vaccine and have avoided those two weeks of misery.

Though I'm over it my oxygen level is still not up to where it should be nor is my energy level. I'm told this may last another 4-6 weeks. On the bright side I feel lucky to have survived it.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Let me explain percentage, 18,769 x 100/ 963,019 =1.948975% mortality. Yes, you are right that was not a one day total for either total deaths or total cases, just what was reported on 11/10. We are talking percentage so we multiply by 100. I don't know where people get 0.01% mortality.
    Additionally we have no faith in those numbers. Are those "died of covid" or "died with covid" The numbers have been jacked since this all begin absolutely destroying any trust in what is being put out. Westpoint cadets is another story released today. Total of 28 days quarantine and a bizillion of them ended up with covide "Asymptomatic" I think I heard ONE cadet displayed symptoms. No fever, no congestion, no nothing - asymptomatic. Go figure

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Let's not start that hysteria again.

The death counts include "died with covid" (had the virus present in the body, but that does not mean the virus was the cause - primary or secondary - of death) and "probable" (someone has guessed that the virus may have been the cause but testing was not performed to know if the virus was truly present). They are greatly exaggerated.

The cruise ship was the perfect experiment and that showed the mortality rate to be on worse than the flu.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Honest questions to those on the front lines, because I genuinely do not really know. I know what I gut feel based on personal observations, but that isn't exactly knowing obviously.

1. Is a person more likely to be infected by COVID-19 than other viruses that share transmission vectors?
    2. Are the number infected with COVID-19 significantly higher than other similarly transmitted viral infections?
    3. Of those infected, are the illness and mortality rates significantly different than similarly contracted viral illness?

In a nutshell, we've been at this for the bulk of the year without letting up. I still have only heard reports from people I do not know personally (such as on this forum, or in idle public chit-chat) about people that have passed from it. I only directly spoke with one person somewhat close to me (coworker) that actually had (and recovered from) COVID-19. It seems like if it were such a big deal we'd see more of it, but it also seems like we've been groomed to feel insensitive if we "don't believe." It's not like my family has been holed up somewhere either, we lived in Harris County in a dense master planned community up until recently, and we didn't hide inside. I've been going to work (in office) the entire time. I've sold/bought a house and moved, which meant being around people. My kids are still in school/activities. We've seen friends and family, gone to stores, restaurants, Home Depot (a lot), pretty much been living our lives, and the number of people I can point to with COVID? Well it doesn't quite seem to match the scary messages being sent down by our elected officials.

Now to match what DDan just said, the woman I work with who had it said it suuuuucked too. She is older and has a list of other things that tend to make COVID a death sentence, but she's still here too. She says her husband was up her butt relentlessly making her get up out of bed, get fluids, food, etc. Says without him she'd probably be dead.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Yes I do have some questions about the Pfizer vaccine. It has to be stored at a ridiculously low temperature so that you probably won't find this at your doctor's office or a pharmacy near you. Second is that it is a messenger RNA that directs your body to make proteins that are on the Covid virus and these proteins stimulate your body to make antibodies against that Covid 19 protein. That all sounds okay but will all of my cells now be programed forever to churn out these Covid proteins? Is that safe? I don't know.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Additionally we have no faith in those numbers. Are those "died of covid" or "died with covid" The numbers have been jacked since this all begin absolutely destroying any trust in what is being put out. Westpoint cadets is another story released today. Total of 28 days quarantine and a bizillion of them ended up with covide "Asymptomatic" I think I heard ONE cadet displayed symptoms. No fever, no congestion, no nothing - asymptomatic. Go figure
    I can't verify that the numbers are correct, I am only do the statistics but that 0.01% mortality is pure fiction. Are the numbers used to quote that ridiculous low percentage viable numbers? Does the person quoting that know how to calculate percent? His numbers are good but the numbers from the Texas Medical Association are off? I don't know, just my hospital is packed and they are quoting over 100 cases a day with 5 or so mortalities a day. You figure.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I still have only heard reports from people I do not know personally (such as on this forum, or in idle public chit-chat) about people that have passed from it. I only directly spoke with one person somewhat close to me (coworker) that actually had (and recovered from) COVID-19.
    Yeah, same. I personally know 5 people that have tested positive. All report just regular cold symptoms. Age ranges from mid 30s to late 50s.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I don't know, just my hospital is packed and they are quoting over 100 cases a day with 5 or so mortalities a day. You figure.
    Another curious question then, what is a normal mortality rate (from any cause) for your hospital, and has COVID changed that total number significantly?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Personally, I know four people that have tested positive, my brother's wife being one of them. She is the administrative nurse in a diabetic care facility, and one of their patients had Covid 19, and she and two other nurses were exposed and had to quarantine for two weeks at home. She never showed any symptoms at all, as did the other three people I know that tested positive.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Okay, let me put this into context then. On 11/10 there was 125 deaths contributed to COVID, about 10% of deaths when Texas had it's highest peak on July 27.

It's not that I don't pity the families that have lost loved ones from this disease, but at what cost are we willing to put society, in general, to safeguard against COVID? Who pities those who have died from suicide (which by the way is starting to reach epidemic proportions)? Americans are not used to having their freedoms stripped and distancing themselves from others to such degrees, it creates unrest and depression.

I'm not looking to die from COVID, but I'm aware I'm not going to live forever. But on the other hand, I would rather die from a disease, then live in a totalitarian society.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Another curious question then, what is a normal mortality rate (from any cause) for your hospital, and has COVID changed that total number significantly?
    These are health department figures that are given on the news daily in Wichita Falls. Over 100 cases of Covid daily and then they list Covid deaths per day. Lately seems like it's 4-5. Overall hospital mortality might be more, auto accidents, gunshots, heart attacks, etc. Not relevant.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yes I do have some questions about the Pfizer vaccine. It has to be stored at a ridiculously low temperature so that you probably won't find this at your doctor's office or a pharmacy near you. Second is that it is a messenger RNA that directs your body to make proteins that are on the Covid virus and these proteins stimulate your body to make antibodies against that Covid 19 protein. That all sounds okay but will all of my cells now be programed forever to churn out these Covid proteins? Is that safe? I don't know.

Rhetorical?

Yes, the Pfizer product is reported to be stored at -80F. Moderna and others have documented -20F for their storage req’ts. Pfizer says good for 5 days at -20F and 24hrs once removed and stored in the same conditions most other vaccines are stored in prior to injection (35F-45F)

Your second question is unanswerable; like the stock market, past performance is not a future indicator and at best historical data goes back 11 or 12 months.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Okay, let me put this into context then. On 11/10 there was 125 deaths contributed to COVID, about 10% of deaths when Texas had it's highest peak on July 27.

It's not that I don't pity the families that have lost loved ones from this disease, but at what cost are we willing to put society, in general, to safeguard against COVID? Who pities those who have died from suicide (which by the way is starting to reach epidemic proportions)? Americans are not used to having their freedoms stripped and distancing themselves from others to such degrees, it creates unrest and depression.

I'm not looking to die from COVID, but I'm aware I'm not going to live forever. But on the other hand, I would rather die from a disease, then live in a totalitarian society.
    I am not arguing with you, just reporting the numbers. This is not a discussion about limits of what society will do. The 0.01% mortality is BS as the true percentage is closer to 2%. Right now the number of cases is increasing and depending on where you live the hospitals may be reaching a peak. You don't have "freedom" if you are dead! Well, maybe you do, depends on what you believe. It is just time to stop the phony quoting that says the mortality rate is less than 0.01%. This is a serious disease and it is killing people.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am not arguing with you, just reporting the numbers. This is not a discussion about limits of what society will do. The 0.01% mortality is BS as the true percentage is closer to 2%. Right now the number of cases is increasing and depending on where you live the hospitals may be reaching a peak. You don't have "freedom" if you are dead! Well, maybe you do, depends on what you believe. It is just time to stop the phony quoting that says the mortality rate is less than 0.01%. This is a serious disease and it is killing people.

And what divisor are you using when you calculate that 2%? Considering how many are asymptomatic and not reported...

And the numerator is seriously exaggerated.

Tens of thousands of people die in traffic accidents. Should we all quit using vehicles?

Death is a part of life.

Top Bottom