• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Hey TGT,

I am wondering what yall think about new production Colt 1911s. Are they worth a damn? Or is it better to find an older production model in good shape?

Any specific models/years to avoid? Thank you
    <>

I’ve owned & shot the Hell ooutta a bunch of different Colt 1911’s, back when I was young.

Never any significant function problem with any of them.

During the almost 120 years of the design’s existence & evolution, many small improvements were devised by pistol-smiths & even shooters. Most of the best ones have been incorporated into modern offerings by many manufacturers, including Colt.

We all have our favorites, and new 1911’s are selling for anywhere from $600 to several thousand$. It is not necessarily “One gets what one pays for”, either.

A very knowledgeable Friend, a machinist/gunsmith, tells that one of his favorites for customization is the “NORINCO”. Yes, the Chinese version.

Many here favor Wilson, which is excellent by all accounts, but expensive, and Dan Wesson, which seems to have improved greatly (I have zero experience with those.)

As someone here said, it is tough to beat a Series 70 Colt for most purposes.

One word of warning from my own experience is that some “reputations” are from advertising, hype, & purchased endorsements. In other words, Kimbers SUCK !

Good Luck !

<>
    Capitol Armory ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Finding a nice older Colt that hasn't been molested is almost as hard as finding an unmolested Jeep.
    <>

Now that you mention it, do you need a pristine older JEEP ?

My 2001 Wrangler Sport is available.

Never off-road. Never wrecked. Never had a lien. Original titles in both TX & LA. No rust. Interior pan completely ScorpionKote’d in matching tan. Le Corbeau front seats. Never teen-driven. Recent fabric top. 58K original elder-driven miles. A/C, auto, PS/PB, Never towed anything heavier than 800# jon boat trailer. Everything works. Easy-off tow bar. Maintained by specialty JEEP shops +/or Dealers. 6-Cylinder runs great. Mostly garage-kept.

I bought it new, to go hunting, but always used 4WD Pickups instead.

For her age, she is a real “jewel” of a JEEP.

$10,500 Firm. “Must see” !

<>

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
      IMG_0206.jpeg
      484 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It sorta depends on what you intend for the gun.
    Collectable? Old Colt wins by a mile.
    Problem there is shooting it reduces the value if the gun is a minty example. If it's an old beater it doesn't really make much difference.
    Where it can is if an original part breaks or gets damaged. Good luck on replacing it with an original part.
    Then there is the worry about getting cheated by a non-original gun. Unless you're an expert you can get ripped off big time.
    Really old stuff shouldn't be fired anyway. After 100yrs of use frame and slide cracks aren't uncommon.
    Modest usage should be okay. I would never carry a collectable gun.

Do you want to shoot the beejabbers out of it? New Colt wins by a mile.
    You can run the guts out of it with little fear of value loss. Much like Harley motorpickles, Colt's hold their value quite well compared to other common brands of 1911's.
    Also there have been improvements on the newer guns. Something as simple as a dovetailed front sight. The old school way of attaching the front sight sucks. I've had a number of guns lose that front sight during use. Never had a dovetail fail yet.
    If you dovetail an old gun you wreck the collectability.
    Many old guns won't feed HP ammo. The were designed to use FMJRN. Grinding out the throat for HP use ruins the collectability. New guns come ready to use.

I would go new myself. I've purchased several new made Colt's in the last 10yrs or so. All worked flawlessly except one. That one was a turd and was quickly traded off.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Problem there is shooting it reduces the value if the gun is a minty example. If it's an old beater it doesn't really make much difference.
    Where it can is if an original part breaks or gets damaged. Good luck on replacing it with an original part.
    Then there is the worry about getting cheated by a non-original gun. Unless you're an expert you can get ripped off big time.
    Really old stuff shouldn't be fired anyway. After 100yrs of use frame and slide cracks aren't uncommon.

You can run the guts out of it with little fear of value loss. Much like Harley motorpickles, Colt's hold their value quite well compared to other common brands of 1911's.
    Also there have been improvements on the newer guns. Something as simple as a dovetailed front sight. The old school way of attaching the front sight sucks. I've had a number of guns lose that front sight during use. Never had a dovetail fail yet.
    Many old guns won't feed HP ammo. The were designed to use FMJRN. Grinding out the throat for HP use ruins the collectability. New guns come ready to use.

I would go new myself. I've purchased several new made Colt's in the last 10yrs or so. All worked flawlessly except one. That one was a turd and was quickly traded off.
    This is the response I was looking for. Yea definitely not a collector but can appreciate older guns that were used and taken care. I really want something similar to that chromed out 1911 you have. Can you share the details and a picture if you have one? If I can find one of those, I am buying it instantly

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    What is FP meaning ? thanks man. I am thinking firing pin safety but admittedly don't know much about 1911s

Yea that is more or less where I am at in my gun life. Definitely not into cheap stuff that sits in the safe and then gets sold off
    Firing pin. Series 80 has a firing pin block that you'd see in like a glock for example.

It was to address concerns with drop safety, if a worn 1911 landed muzzle first, the firing pin might have enough inertia to fire the gun. Now a days most people use a stronger firing pin spring and a titanium firing pin to accomplish the same thing.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This is the response I was looking for. Yea definitely not a collector but can appreciate older guns that were used and taken care. I really want something similar to that chromed out 1911 you have. Can you share the details and a picture if you have one? If I can find one of those, I am buying it instantly

The gun you’re referring to started out as one like this.

Originally purchased as a 38 Super I had it converted to 9mm by a local gunsmith.
    Way back when I bought the thing 9mm Colt 1911’s were pretty thin on the ground.
    Essentially the gun had a new barrel and bushing fitted and extractor tuned. And new 9mm mags.
    They’re sometimes known as an El Cen model because the serial # begins with elcen.
    They are bright polished stainless not chromed ir nickeled. IMO the SS is the better metal for this. It scratches more easily but can be buffed much easier. Nickeled guns dull with cleaning. They all eventually require refinishing to stay bright. SS can easily he done at your desk with Flitz.
    C2EED6B4-9995-406D-B93E-C5676D8954EB.jpeg

Colt still produces the gun.
    I have seen it chambered in 38 Super and 45aarp.
    Note: .45aarp slide can’t be converted to 9mm.
    The breach face and ejector are different than a 38 Super.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A Series 80 gun can very easily be converted to Series 70. Brownell’s sells a spacer for it.
    Remove the arm, install the spacer, remove the spring and plunger. TA DAH!
    Honestly I have never had that much of a hard on about the Series 80. Just go shoot the thing and get familiar with the trigger.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The gun you’re referring to started out as one like this.

Originally purchased as a 38 Super I had it converted to 9mm by a local gunsmith.
    Way back when I bought the thing 9mm Colt 1911’s were pretty thin on the ground.
    Essentially the gun had a new barrel and bushing fitted and extractor tuned. And new 9mm mags.
    They’re sometimes known as an El Cen model because the serial # begins with elcen.
    They are bright polished stainless not chromed ir nickeled. IMO the SS is the better metal for this. It scratches more easily but can be buffed much easier. Nickeled guns dull with cleaning. They all eventually require refinishing to stay bright. SS can easily he done at your desk with Flitz.
    View attachment 400351

Colt still produces the gun.
    I have seen it chambered in 38 Super and 45aarp.
    Note: .45aarp slide can’t be converted to 9mm.
    The breach face and ejector are different than a 38 Super.
    PIMP DADDY!!! As many of us have fired it, has anyone not immediately loved it?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    A Series 80 gun can very easily be converted to Series 70. Brownell’s sells a spacer for it.
    Remove the arm, install the spacer, remove the spring and plunger. TA DAH!
    Honestly I have never had that much of a hard on about the Series 80. Just go shoot the thing and get familiar with the trigger.
    Somewhat on topic - my Gold Cup is a Series 80. I've got paperwork from a factory trigger job. It's a very nice shooting gun - although the trigger isn't at an awesome level, it beats the hell out of most.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    <>

Never off-road. Never wrecked. Never had a lien. Original titles in both TX & LA. No rust. Interior pan completely ScorpionKote’d in matching tan. Le Corbeau front seats. Never teen-driven. Recent fabric top. 58K original elder-driven miles. A/C, auto, PS/PB, Never towed anything heavier than 800# jon boat trailer. Everything works. Easy-off tow bar. Maintained by specialty JEEP shops +/or Dealers. 6-Cylinder runs great. Mostly garage-kept.

<>

It will be gone within 24 hrs of listing it.............damn.............

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Years ago I purchased a Colt Gold Cup. It sucked, you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you were inside the barn. Brent still was in CS at Colt at that time. Had it sent back into Colt, came back slicker than owl shit. Still have that sweetheart!

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's one that covers many of the subjects dscussed :) :

20230809_185607 (2).jpg
    20230809_185556 (4).jpg

Newish Dan Wesson 'Vigil' sailing under false flag Wilson grips with the ugly black slide finish 'muted' and aged. New trigger.

Muting the black finish from the slide was pretty straightforward but the anodising of the aluminium frame is TOUGH!

Still need to fit a lower thumb safety.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That premium over the the low end guns and it's the same price as a Springfield but three or 4 rungs up the ladder. The price isn't even mid grade level but they can run with some of those boys.
    If it worth it to you, great.

I have one older Colt and that will be my only.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    <>

<>
    Now how would I be able to get that Jeep to the Ft Worth area? :)

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Now how would I be able to get that Jeep to the Ft Worth area? :)
    <>

JEEP has a tow-bar.

O/W, your problem.

I warrant only that it is not misrepresented.

Sale is “as-is”; but, any serious buyer would be allowed to have their mechanic examine the JEEP.

After consulting my “financial guys”, I decided that, if I can’t get asking price, I’ll just give it to a GK.

Being retired, we no longer need 3 cars for 2 drivers, & I’ve got a brand new JEEP.

Older JEEPS are valued by history, maintenance history, and overall condition; not model year nor “NADA” book.

I could take more pics, close-up’s. . . . . .

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

“were designed to use FMJRN.’’

AMEN !

Once more, “moonpie” demonstrates that he is a lot smarter than he pretends to be !

<>

Top Bottom