• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Hey TGT,

I am wondering what yall think about new production Colt 1911s. Are they worth a damn? Or is it better to find an older production model in good shape?

Any specific models/years to avoid? Thank you
    Hurley's Gold

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    C368522D-056C-475B-B353-C5CA23D22B20.jpeg

Old plain Jane stuff for edc... well tuned inside along with a crisp trigger break at 2.5.

Well used...and runs like a top.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They're all pretty good. Imo the series 80 guns aren't all that great, but they are the best FP safety 1911's made.

The series 70's are great, but don't expect a well fit slide/frame or bushing.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Colt 1911 is a very good pistol. As others have pointed out, you can do better - and probably better (in terms of fit-and-finish) for the same money. The production quality between old and new is negligible. Older 1911s have the pinned sights that have a bad habit of breaking and are hard to replace. (Well, they shouldn't be hard, but finding a gunsmith capable of doing a good job can be hard.)

Absolutely stay away from the Series 80 version. The Series 80 is what happens when lawyers try to run production. It has a totally unnecessary built in safety system that makes the trigger pull long and lousy. If you go to sell one, you'll find that it's hard to sell.

Everybody wants a bargain, but as you get older you find that you appreciate things that are really well built. With guns you find that it's the good ones that you shoot regularly because they perform so well that it's fun.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have owned many Colts including 3 National Match all series 70 or earlier. IF you don't buy a National Match or Gold Cup, then pay to have the pistol tuned. One of my favorites was a 1913 production 1911 which had been parked, Novak barrel and bushing with Wolfe springs and stoned internals.NO gun fired better or was more reliable. I carry a tuned Kimber Pro Covert Custom Shop now just because of cost. Functions flawlessly but has no prancing pony ') Life is short own a gun which brings you joy.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    They're all pretty good. Imo the series 80 guns aren't all that great, but they are the best FP safety 1911's made.

The series 70's are great, but don't expect a well fit slide/frame or bushing.
    What is FP meaning ? thanks man. I am thinking firing pin safety but admittedly don't know much about 1911s

Everybody wants a bargain, but as you get older you find that you appreciate things that are really well built. With guns you find that it's the good ones that you shoot regularly because they perform so well that it's fun.
    Yea that is more or less where I am at in my gun life. Definitely not into cheap stuff that sits in the safe and then gets sold off

Top Bottom