• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    as a deer hunter i have closets full of woodland type camo but that stuff will stand out bad in day light. I like the cheap acu idea but it also draws the question about firearms. Since i am building a rifle do i paint it or go with a color that closely matches acu?
    fde
    ARJ Defense ad

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    As a deer hunter I have closets full of woodland type camo but that stuff will stand out bad in day light. I like the cheap ACU idea but it also draws the question about firearms. Since I am building a rifle do I paint it or go with a color that closely matches ACU?

wouldn't Magpul's foliage green match?

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Who said ACU is ineffective?

Camo_r2_c2.gif

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    This or go with a solid color?

DSC_4939_ar2.jpg

Flat Dark Earth

FDE_wip4.jpg

If you are going to cammo guns you want to stay away from solid colors. The hard lines still stand out making it look like a gun just at a different color. Designs will break up that gun pattern and make it blend in more effectively.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I have about thirty (give or take) uniforms in my closet from my military service or reenacting which affords me many opportunities to test their effectiveness in the varying Texas arborial, desert, or brush zones. My collection ranges from WWII, Vietnam War, North-West Europe NATO, Canadian to U.S. and includes Denison, Khaki Drill, Zeltbahn, Huyet (also known as "Bloodcake" - similar to British WWII Windproof smocks. Used by the French, Vietnamese Airborne and U.S. Airborne Advisors early on in Vietnam), Duck Hunter (several patterns), Beo Gam, Tiger Stripe (John Wayne Dense and Advisor Dense), SOG modified Jungle Fatigues, Fatigues (Korean War), Jungle Fatigues (all three patterns), ERDL, Woodland BDU, Canadian Combat (pre-CADPAT) and ABU to name a few. None of them work for all seasons in Texas, nor do any of them work year-round in any one Texas locale. Tiger stripes work well in Oak or Pine forests when the sun is overhead and many shadows are projected beneath the forest canopy. Duck Hunter and Beo Gam work great in grasslands or mesquite shrub zones, just use the brown-dominant version when things are dry and the pale green dominant version in the Spring.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have about thirty (give or take) uniforms in my closet from my military service or reenacting which affords me many opportunities to test their effectiveness in the varying Texas arborial, desert, or brush zones. My collection ranges from WWII, Vietnam War, North-West Europe NATO, Canadian to U.S. and includes Denison, Khaki Drill, Zeltbahn, Huyet (also known as "Bloodcake" - similar to British WWII Windproof smocks. Used by the French, Vietnamese Airborne and U.S. Airborne Advisors early on in Vietnam), Duck Hunter (several patterns), Beo Gam, Tiger Stripe (John Wayne Dense and Advisor Dense), SOG modified Jungle Fatigues, Fatigues (Korean War), Jungle Fatigues (all three patterns), ERDL, Woodland BDU, Canadian Combat (pre-CADPAT) and ABU to name a few. None of them work for all seasons in Texas, nor do any of them work year-round in any one Texas locale. Tiger stripes work well in Oak or Pine forests when the sun is overhead and many shadows are projected beneath the forest canopy. Duck Hunter and Beo Gam work great in grasslands or mesquite shrub zones, just use the brown-dominant version when things are dry and the pale green dominant version in the Spring.

Man thats awesome that you have your experience and all of that gear. What I am looking for is just one set of gear that is what me and my family would go to. I know nothing is universal but we also cannot afford to switch everything according to season. Plus I'm sure that if SHTF does come it will last longer than six months and the only way to change gear color would be to bug in.

Our other problem is that we are in the suburbs and I think most everything will stand out.

*** Thank you for your service.

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Man thats awesome that you have your experience and all of that gear. What I am looking for is just one set of gear that is what me and my family would go to. I know nothing is universal but we also cannot afford to switch everything according to season. Plus I'm sure that if SHTF does come it will last longer than six months and the only way to change gear color would be to bug in.

Our other problem is that we are in the suburbs and I think most everything will stand out.

*** Thank you for your service.

Do you have a bug out location? Or do you know where you would hold up? That's the area you want to blend in to. The current army Afghanistan camo is pretty decent. Another form is ATACS which I think is similar. Other that I would say a simple blend of Natural greens and browns.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Unlike the guy in the video, I don't plan on sleeping on gray roads or standing in manicured treed lots, sand as a backdrop :D.

I really like Flecktarn for my area. It blends well with Texas Mountain Juniper, especially with the dead red parts. Works excellent at dusk too. I'm a bit of a Flecktarn whore, with my whole family covered with it.

GY1CRiE.jpg

gaHapVq.jpg

euQNTe5.jpg

heikZbg.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom