• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I like coffee and chicory as well. Usually switch between Community and Cafe du Monde but recently picked some from H-E-B their house brand Cafe Ole and it’s pretty dang good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ARJ Defense ad

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I like coffee and chicory as well. Usually switch between Community and Cafe du Monde but recently picked some from H-E-B their house brand Cafe Ole and it’s pretty dang good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Community has been around for years and always seems to have gotten pretty good comments. Not sure why I never tried it before but I just bought this about three days ago.... looking forward to giving it a try.
    58cce29c4d1c4491d4f964888f09125c.jpg

Attachments

• 58cce29c4d1c4491d4f964888f09125c.jpg
      58cce29c4d1c4491d4f964888f09125c.jpg
      36.2 KB · Views: 477

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    For the rare, occasional individualized coffee experience I have this processing equipment. I’m not real big on “exotic” coffee trials but figured I’d get the minimum stuff necessary to at least make something drinkable. Usually a “gift” from a family member is responsible for their use.
    French Press, Coffee Bean Grinder & Turkish Expresso pot (wife brought back from Istanbul).
    f1cc4b8eb47980d9c419877f1069639f.jpg

Attachments

• f1cc4b8eb47980d9c419877f1069639f.jpg
      f1cc4b8eb47980d9c419877f1069639f.jpg
      126.7 KB · Views: 499

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I wanna try this one day
    I’ve had that from street vendors with their little cart set-ups to serve the public. Not uncommon in larger eastern European cities - from Turkish immigrants, especially in the capital cities. The coffee is very thick and stout - the old adage about standing a spoon up, in it comes to mind. Typically served sweet and surprisingly no bitter flavor.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm not too picky - I like my coffee black, medium-dark or dark roast preferred but not so over-roasted it tastes burned (I'm looking at you, Starbucks)

We have a regional coffee stand chain called Dutch Bros that is pretty good. On par price-wise with all the boutique coffee stands, but I'll support local when I can. And despite the company being run by lefties and having an official no-guns policy for their employees, they didn't fire a worker who used his legally concealed firearm to defend himself when some dirtbag tried pulling an armed robbery a while back, so I don't mind supporting them.

We have a kureig machine, and I usually get whatever is fairly reasonably priced in a medium, medium dark, or dark roast. Safeway Select is actually decent, Green Mountain is meh, Kroger house brand "donut shop" blend is alright. If we're making percolated stuff I just use Folgers or Hill Bros.

My wifey on the other hand must use a quarter cup of "coffee creamer" (the hoity toity flavored variety) with her stuff, and lately she's been complaining that medium roast doesn't give her a coffee flavor in her hot chocolate milk drink, so she demands dark roast. Maybe by the time we're 50 I can get her to drink black coffee.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Wife buys me the usual HEB Cafe Ole bags.
    I used to drink the chicory blend by Cafe du Monde but their blend got really weak over time so I dropped them.
    If anybody has a good strong-ish chicory blend they like, I am open to suggestions.

As far as strongly flavored coffee, San Antonio produces some strongly chocolaty flavors that I fancy but don't drink on everyday basis.

Had Black Rifle coffee before and it sure is good. But I just cannot stomach the .... um ... price.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Wife buys me the usual HEB Cafe Ole bags.
    I used to drink the chicory blend by Cafe du Monde but their blend got really weak over time so I dropped them.
    If anybody has a good strong-ish chicory blend they like, I am open to suggestions.

As far as strongly flavored coffee, San Antonio produces some strongly chocolaty flavors that I fancy but don't drink on everyday basis.

Had Black Rifle coffee before and it sure is good. But I just cannot stomach the .... um ... price.

There are several brands of chicory blends available on most grocery retailers. Community Coffee, French Market, Cafe Du Monde, and others are available locally in our grocery stores and WalMart.

One I started using just a couple of months ago, available at Dollar General, and their store brand is the Donut Shop blend. Very inexpensive and has a great flavor. I stocked up on it!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I was probably like 15 when my step Dad called me out about putting sugar and creamer in my coffee. He told me to drink it black like a man.

Fast forward some 25 years later and it is still coffee the way God intended. Coffee flavored, with nothing else.

The only thing I have struggled with over the last quarter century is explaining to people the difference between black and strong. I would rather drink a pot of weak black coffee than a cup of strong black coffee. In my late teens, early 20's we would always regroup at a friend's house around midnight on Friday and Saturday night. His mom ran a house with live in dementia patients. (I would use the R word but it don't feel right) There was 24hr staff so coffee was always available and always fresh. It was a part of life to stop by and grab a cup and regroup.

Now days we have a fancy machine at work that grinds fresh beans and makes 1 cup at a time. On the weekends it is fresh in the French press. My current favorite is death wish.
    59f718b6f292f966448079025c947a5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    We Texans have all heard of Arbuckle's coffee on the cattle drives. Mr. Arbuckle was from Philadelphia and he perfected a coffee roasting process back when cooks at home and on the range roasted (and often scorched) their beans in skillets or whatever was handy. He shipped these roasted beans in paper bags complete with a peppermint stick in each bags. Cowboys tried to befriend the cooks, not for the candy, but for the bag for toilet paper had not been invented yet. No wonder they were so happy to ride their horses into the rivers on the drives.
    Arbuckle's famous Ariosa coffee was a staple of life in turn of the 19th century meals. He had another blend that was considered a house blend and available during the holidays. That blend has become today's Yuban coffee. Very affordable at Kroger and usually overpriced as a luxury item in HEB for some strange reason. We have been drinking Yuban ever since I discovered this about Arbuckle and we think it is very good. Later on a company in Arizona has revived the Ariosa blend and is selling it and collectibles at extravagant prices.
    A bit of history brought up-to-date.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    We Texans have all heard of Arbuckle's coffee on the cattle drives. Mr. Arbuckle was from Philadelphia and he perfected a coffee roasting process back when cooks at home and on the range roasted (and often scorched) their beans in skillets or whatever was handy. He shipped these roasted beans in paper bags complete with a peppermint stick in each bags. Cowboys tried to befriend the cooks, not for the candy, but for the bag for toilet paper had not been invented yet. No wonder they were so happy to ride their horses into the rivers on the drives.
    Arbuckle's famous Ariosa coffee was a staple of life in turn of the 19th century meals. He had another blend that was considered a house blend and available during the holidays. That blend has become today's Yuban coffee. Very affordable at Kroger and usually overpriced as a luxury item in HEB for some strange reason. We have been drinking Yuban ever since I discovered this about Arbuckle and we think it is very good. Later on a company in Arizona has revived the Ariosa blend and is selling it and collectibles at extravagant prices.
    A bit of history brought up-to-date.

Interesting information. Personally, I have never tried the Yuban brand of coffee, but I have seen it at some of our local grocery stores and might have to give it a try one day.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Interesting information. Personally, I have never tried the Yuban brand of coffee, but I have seen it at some of our local grocery stores and might have to give it a try one day.
    I hope you like it, and I think you will. We were pleasantly surprised and I loved the history behind the product.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My wife suggests occasionally, that maybe I should switch to decaf, because sometimes my hands will shake.

Blasphemous talk I say! Hush up woman! Just because my hands shake bad enough that I can thread a sewing machine while it's running doesn't mean I need decaf!

Enjoying one of my new favorites this morning, Clover Valley Donut Shop Blend. Actually for a cheap coffee, it's one of the better coffees that I do really enjoy.

Zazonkers

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I too love coffee!!! Since the last DNC funders reveal, I have steered away from BRCC - odd controversy. When I was drinking it, silencer smooth, fit to fight, and snipers hide were my favs. CAF was used to top it off. I’d use three scoops of something and one scoop of CAF making the pot... YUM! There are so many different roasters out there now, and I do like a straight kona. Don’t like chickory, a stint in New Orleans made me sure of that. Black is best. Nice thread with some interesting brands to try. I have an aeropress and transitioned to a travel aeropress at my last command. It’s self-contained. Impressive flavor from that process versus the regular drip and french presses. Below are what’s being consumed in the household right now:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 76
    Top Bottom