Patriot Mobile

Can We Believe Anything that ERCOT Says?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You're telling me these things don't have fuses or breakers to prevent that from happening ?
    Sudden surges can cause internal arcing if the insulation on the windings has been degraded (age, etc.) The surges are often accompanied by transients that for a short time exceed the transformer rating. These can hit before a breaker can react.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You're telling me these things don't have fuses or breakers to prevent that from happening ?

Those fuses are before the transformer and are set to prevent a sustained fault in the transformer from damaging the grid. The “breakers” are recloser a which serve the same purpose but trip due to faults usually related to lines down, still an overload concept but at much higher voltages that what you see on the service side of the transformer.

Are you sure it’s the transformers that are the cause and not something up stream? Usually an area going down is due to something besides the transformer.

I really don’t know much about your situation or where you live so trying to not make to many assumptions. It’s kind of like diagnosing a care based on “it won’t start”. There are lots of possibilities that can be listed but it really doesn’t mean anything. Certain things can probably be rules out though. I don’t actually understand your reference to the rolling blackouts. Not having them wouldn’t really be protecting the transformers. But having them wouldn’t either. If they actually went out it’s likely they were already getting close to failure or very near what they could carry. It’s not something that is easy to see by looking at it unless you notice lights flickering or something.

Sorry for your situation and hope it improves soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm really surprised with our power service during the event.
    Several here probably remember all my bitching during the summer months about fuses repeatedly blowing.
    We only lost power for 2 hours on Wednesday, and I thought they were starting rolling black outs in our area, but it never went off again.

I can't imagine being without power for extended periods of time during this event.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I'm really surprised with our power service during the event.
    Several here probably remember all my bitching during the summer months about fuses repeatedly blowing.
    We only lost power for 2 hours on Wednesday, and I thought they were starting rolling black outs in our area, but it never went off again.

I can't imagine being without power for extended periods of time during this event.

Are you Centerpoint or Entergy? We have CP and had no power from 4am Monday until late Tuesday. Got it back late Tuesday and don’t think it went out again.

Both our furnaces took the piss thanks to the outage as well... blown control boards. They were 17 years old... turns out limping along old equipment isn’t a great idea.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Are you Centerpoint or Entergy? We have CP and had no power from 4am Monday until late Tuesday. Got it back late Tuesday and don’t think it went out again.

Both our furnaces took the piss thanks to the outage as well... blown control boards. They were 17 years old... turns out limping along old equipment isn’t a great idea.

We use Centerpoint.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Those fuses are before the transformer and are set to prevent a sustained fault in the transformer from damaging the grid. The “breakers” are recloser a which serve the same purpose but trip due to faults usually related to lines down, still an overload concept but at much higher voltages that what you see on the service side of the transformer.

Are you sure it’s the transformers that are the cause and not something up stream? Usually an area going down is due to something besides the transformer.

I really don’t know much about your situation or where you live so trying to not make to many assumptions. It’s kind of like diagnosing a care based on “it won’t start”. There are lots of possibilities that can be listed but it really doesn’t mean anything. Certain things can probably be rules out though. I don’t actually understand your reference to the rolling blackouts. Not having them wouldn’t really be protecting the transformers. But having them wouldn’t either. If they actually went out it’s likely they were already getting close to failure or very near what they could carry. It’s not something that is easy to see by looking at it unless you notice lights flickering or something.

Sorry for your situation and hope it improves soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's the transformers for sure. Saw them replace the one across the street from us at 5:00am this morning. They have a crane to lift it into place. Our power finally came back on at 6:45 this morning.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Sudden surges can cause internal arcing if the insulation on the windings has been degraded (age, etc.) The surges are often accompanied by transients that for a short time exceed the transformer rating. These can hit before a breaker can react.
    They are replacing dozens of the transformers in the surrounding neighborhood. I personally have seen them replace 4 in less than a quarter of a mile radius, and I don't know how many I didn't witness them replacing.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    This article breaks it down pretty good and pretty well confirms what my wife has been hearing at PEC.
    I get most of what he says except this, "While homes that are built up north are designed to hold heat in, our homes are basically designed to keep heat out and get it out as fast as we can." Are home insulated differently? Am I incorrect in assuming insulation is there to decrease temp/ energy transfer?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I get most of what he says except this, "While homes that are built up north are designed to hold heat in, our homes are basically designed to keep heat out and get it out as fast as we can." Are home insulated differently? Am I incorrect in assuming insulation is there to decrease temp/ energy transfer?

Insulation is insulation. What insulates at keeping the cold out, also insulates to help keep the heat out as well. Insulation in your home is just as important at keeping heat out during the summer.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Insulation is insulation. What insulates at keeping the cold out, also insulates to help keep the heat out as well. Insulation in your home is just as important at keeping heat out during the summer.
    I get that but the person that I quoted from Texas monthly implies our building are designed to shed heat and keep heat out. Just wondering if the vodak was hampering my comprehension of his statement. Or my understanding of insulation

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I get that but the person that I quoted from Texas monthly implies our building are designed to shed heat and keep heat out. Just wondering if the vodak was hampering my comprehension of his statement. Or my understanding of insulation

Do you own an insulated mug or cup? Put hot or cold liquid in it. It doesn't matter to the cup or mug. It still keeps hot liquids hot, and cold liquids cold. A house really isn't any different.

I think you are understanding just fine, regardless of the vodak!

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    There are different insulation requirements up north, but his understanding of how it works is off.

He should probably stick to energy.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    If he had been talking about HVAC, I would agree.

Up North our “cold air” returns were at the floor (cold air sinks). Here they are in the ceiling. Thus in the winter here the hot/warm air tends to be recirculated at the ceiling level. Not very efficient.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ercot4.png

so you cant run the plants at 100% because of "environmental regulation" until you have already bought all the power available from elsewhere at the rate of atleast $1500 MWh.

here is the whole thing @Axxe55

sounds familiar to me, but i was jsut a kid then. what do you guys think? here is the whole order downloaded from d0tg0v

Attachments

• DOE 202(c) Emergency Order - ERCOT 02.14.2021.pdf
      323.8 KB · Views: 161

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

My CO home that we built in 2013 did not have roof venting the same as we do it here in Texas. Where the insulation was placed and what R-value it to meet was to a different code than here. Radiant barrier isn’t needed or used up there, either.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    My CO home that we built in 2013 did not have roof venting the same as we do it here in Texas. Where the insulation was placed and what R-value it to meet was to a different code than here. Radiant barrier isn’t needed or used up there, either.
    Yeah. Last night on the vodak I was thinking about my last house. It had the roof venting with blown insulation but no radiant barrier. I was wondering how much of a difference no vents and extra insulation would actually help without a internal heat source. After 3-5 days of no heat would there be a difference?

Top Bottom