ARJ Defense ad

Can We Believe Anything that ERCOT Says?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Texas Tribune article quoting ERCOT officials can be interpreted as showing how close we were to disaster or as ERCOT showing us what heroes they are and that we should bow down before them for saving us.

It will take months or longer to sort out the truth, if we ever learn it.

Venture Surplus ad

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'll hold off from making judgements. The only thing I know about managing a power grid are the tidbits I've read online. I know what its like to be on the receiving end of criticism by people who think they know how to do your job.

My only concern at this point is making sure that I have whats needed to make sure that my family is ok for the next natural disaster. Prepping aint just for crazy people anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    All I know is that this is the third or forth "once in a lifetime!" catastrophic winter "event" I've experienced. And during the first two, renewables weren't even a thing yet.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Of course not. They are a corporate weenies for the most part. ERCOT played a role in this as did the various energy providers and government idiots.

There were a lot of recommendations made after the last once in a lifetime event that weren’t mandatory. That’s pretty much on the political creatures listening to lobbyists instead of trying to solve a problem and possibly ERCOT being deuche bags in making inappropriate decisions on what can be a recommendation vs what needs to be a regulation.

They just might have forced an over reaction from the legislature and maybe even the feds if they feel like meddling.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Probably something along the lines of piss poor planning.
    I hear that there will be a class action lawsuit coming soon after for damages, deaths and many other things. I say if ercot and electric companies raise our bills they need to be held accountable for our damages that insurance company’s don’t cover . The governor needs to do more than put lipstick on a pig!!!!!

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    They all need to be dragged behind the woodshed and .... lets say given a beating. Lets go with that.

Yup. Punched in the ear. Don't laugh if you've never had that done because it frickin' hurts worse than stubbing your toe or walking your shin into a trailer hitch.

I think the big issue is that there are never any reprecussions. Even if they get canned or whatever, it's not like they have to get a 'dumbass' tatoo on their forehead or anything. They'll just move along. Other than that, what are you gonna do? Fine them? Sure, and watch it get added to your next bill as a recovery fee or something. No, I think we're SOL on this, folks.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Everyone is angry. To be honest, I don't know if they screwed up or not. This was not a predictable event. My anger is tempered in that I only had 2 hours of no electricity but nearby neighbors had power off for days and now have flooded houses from waterline breaks. Will know in a few days how my waterlines are. Did they handle things correctly or not, I don't know. Maybe they saved a massive shut off of power. Another government commission to "study" the problem. The solution is to have a larger excess of generation capability but how much and at what expense. I don't know the answer and I don't think that most of us do either.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Everyone is angry. To be honest, I don't know if they screwed up or not. This was not a predictable event. My anger is tempered in that I only had 2 hours of no electricity but nearby neighbors had power off for days and now have flooded houses from waterline breaks. Will know in a few days how my waterlines are. Did they handle things correctly or not, I don't know. Maybe they saved a massive shut off of power. Another government commission to "study" the problem. The solution is to have a larger excess of generation capability but how much and at what expense. I don't know the answer and I don't think that most of us do either.

I am glad I’m not the only one in this space. The press seems full of people just pushing The Agenda, not actually looking for facts.

I didn’t have power for over two days. It sucked, but we lived. Both of my furnaces perished, however, and I blame the original power outage for that. Dead control boards.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny how the same people that bitch about folks relying on government assistance are the same people that bitch about not having any power.

What happened to the times of a man being responsible for him and his family?

Power is a luxury. It's not a guarantee. You could be out for 10mins or 2 weeks.

I'm sure happy folks around here are armed to the teeth with ammo and guns.... because that kept their lights on and water flowing.

Hope everyone learns from this storm.

Top Bottom