Hurley's Gold

Can We Believe Anything that ERCOT Says?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    ERCOT does not have the authority to stop more wind/solar sites. Talk to your state reps/senators on that one.

They are not blameless, but also not the villain they are being made out as.
    Guns International

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Still looking at their web page this morning. They have been showing a pretty hefty reserve for 24 hours or so. Yet still at "EEA3". What is it gonna take to drop it down a level or two? Can't we begin to work our way DOWN to the "Conserve" level?

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I don't know about this type of "100 year events", but my last house was in the "100 year flood plain", and I had 4 ft of water in it twice in under 10 years.
    Which can happen. It's not a warranty; it falls under the purview of probability and statistics. Hoping like heck we don't have another Mini Ice Age like this inside 10 years...

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Saw a news story tonight saying tax records show the board Chairman made about $800,000 from ERCOT in 2018.
    I know one thing is certain whether they say it or not - our electricity rates are going to go up because they decided to save the shareholders some money!

And Charley, it is worse than you know. I will find and the article that details how idiots end up on the boards of businesses. They end up making loads of money by just showing up and voting as directed and to hell with the rest of us. At least in the oil patch, when you screw up this badly you get run off.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The ercot board is clueless, bunch of lobbyists with noshow jobs. Need to be talking to their operations / engineering staff. And looking at what went wrong with their written emergency plan, if they followed it.
    I know what went wrong.

After the "some assembly required " part they had a bunch of extra bits laying about.

Those bits were the cold weather kits. They just tossed them aside cause shit worked and they were in a hurry.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I can remember three other very cold snaps we've had down here where I'm at.
    1982/3 winter - it was below freezing for almost two weeks.
    1989 right around x-mas. It got down to 5 DEGREES at my house. Coldest I have ever experienced. I worked outside then.
    2010 Feb - got down to 20 degrees for three/four nights.
    Sure there was pipe breakage and such but the power never failed.
    We made it thru those okay. Nothing like the retardedness that occurring now.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I haven’t reserved judgement...failures lay in many places; ERCOT is just the popular bîtch to slap right now, but if you did not have electricity at your house, your first place to look is your local provider.

If they’re blaming ERCOT and avoiding simple questions like what were your thoughts when the weather forecasters were bringing this storm up a week ahead of time (like CPS has consistently done), then they are part of the problem, too.

What I sense is that a bunch of utilities, suppliers, and regulators got fat and lazy in the ten years since the last truly big demand spike. Part of that deals with the mix of generation, which has been influenced by a ‘temporary federal subsidy’ since 1992. That thing has to be renewed fairly often...tell your federal reps to kill that shit. Part of it lies with your local elected officials, utility district heads, and city/county managers...tell them how they’ve failed you, yet again. Start a recall effort...this is, without a doubt, the time to hold them accountable for the rainbow unicorn horseshît policies and direction they’ve given that’s resulted in these things happening.

Just sitting here bitching on the internet doesn’t count as doing something about the problem, though.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My power has been out now for over 96 hours. Have a generator and a small space heater. Right now I am sitting in my bed with an electric blanket (inside temp is 52 now).
    The problem yesterday was trying to find a gas station that had gas. Went to 7 different ones before I found one that only had Premium which I was happy to pay the extra $ since it keeps me warm and we can cook food.

I have my parents who live with us that are 80 and 83 and they are the ones using the space heater. They are still cold.

This is complete bullshit.
    These people need to feel pain !!!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    My power has been out now for over 96 hours. Have a generator and a small space heater. Right now I am sitting in my bed with an electric blanket (inside temp is 52 now).
    The problem yesterday was trying to find a gas station that had gas. Went to 7 different ones before I found one that only had Premium which I was happy to pay the extra $ since it keeps me warm and we can cook food.

I have my parents who live with us that are 80 and 83 and they are the ones using the space heater. They are still cold.

This is complete bullshit.
    These people need to feel pain !!!
    Praying that relief will come your way soon. We have a neighbor who was trying to find gas yesterday. The stations weren't answering their phones, which does not help. I am going to look at Gasbuddy to see if it has any useful info...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I have full confidence that Bandera Electric Co-op did the very best they could through this freeze, given that they are not a producer, and have to buy their power through ERCOT. The worst I suffered was a number of rolling blackouts of 15 - 45 minutes and some frozen and busted pipes that may have happened because I did not expect the first blackout. I should have been more on my toes, instead of on my back sleeping in extreme conditions.

Whether ERCOT failed to do their best, or were just caught off guard by a rare weather event, I will leave to the big boys and courts to decide.

Imagine if something really bad had happened, instead of just an unusual freeze... We should all be looking at what we can do to protect ourselves, instead of expecting others to protect us...

We are gun people after all, right? Shouldn't our gun attitudes extend to the rest of our lives?

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    pretty good read on the function of ERCOT.
    'grid' consists of generators, switch sites and transmission lines. If switches fail, power must be 'switched' to different transmission systems or generators taken off line/ reduce output. Relative slow process. Getting back online may take a while and 'broken' parts replaced. Load dumps are havoc. Wind and solar cannot run at 'rated' capacity EVER! Weather just doesn't allow it. State is getting ready to spend a bundle on battery power storage - really BAD idea but Musk and a lot of $$ behind it. Leg. needs to get EPA out of our lives and allow more nuke/gas plants. problem with the smaller coal fired is frozen coal piles and grinders - coal is powdered before burning. Problem with nukes is not particularly rod replacement so much as storage of the 'used' coolant - which is now done underground in w. Tx. Rods can be 'refined' for re-use. So far no method of 'refining' used coolant. In the end, Gov. is usually wasteful in $$ so WE pay the bill. Definitely got to keep the Fed out of Tx. FEMA did provide 4 generators to TX for this cold spell, pretty much AFTER the problem. FEMA is normally late and equipment gets sold off as junk. Like all the mobile homes for tornado and flood victims, setting beside the road and basically trashed.

Top Bottom