• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Bump Stocks are not yet legal. Here is the new thread I posted yesterday:

(948) Bump Stocks Are NOT Machine Guns | Texas Gun Talk - The Premier Texas Gun Forum

GOA has a suit in the 6th court. The appeals court only ruled that GOA is likely to succeed, and the trial court erred in not issuing the injunction. So it is back at the trial court. They will likely issue and injunction, which is moot as all of SlideFire's inventory has been destroyed and they OOB. Everyone else had a boating accident. Maybe they will go SCUBA and find those stocks.

It is still a long way from "legal" and you can bet Feinstein has already added (if not there from day 1) bump stocks to her AWB.

eta

This only applies in the 6th circuit. Most of us are in Texas as was Slidefire and are in the 5th circuit. So our bump stocks are still contraband.
    How do you unburn a bumpstock, anyway?
    Capitol Armory ad

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I received an email from the GOA today that really made my day, it said in part:

"We took the gun-grabbing ATF to court -- and WON.​
    The Sixth Circuit Court just ruled that bump stocks are NOT machine guns despite the tyrannical ATF incorrectly classifying them as such. This victory by Gun Owners of America’s legal team is the FIRST EVER win on bump stocks."​

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Didn’t some folks turn theirs in and get a receipt from the BATFE? Maybe @benenglish ?
    I legally disposed of mine by following the best legal advice provided by the BATFE and other sources. I'd prefer to be no more specific than that until this matter is fully settled by SCOTUS.

And, yes, some folks did turn theirs in to BATFE and got a receipt. The dumb ones got receipts for surrendered property and they'll never see their bumpstocks again even if they are adjudicated legal in the future. The smart ones got receipts that did not specify "surrender" and they, theoretically, might get their bumpstocks back. The procedures, including the form numbers to help tell the receipts apart, were fairly widely publicized back when all this was happening.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I legally disposed of mine by following the best legal advice provided by the BATFE and other sources. I'd prefer to be no more specific than that until this matter is fully settled by SCOTUS.

And, yes, some folks did turn theirs in to BATFE and got a receipt. The dumb ones got receipts for surrendered property and they'll never see their bumpstocks again even if they are adjudicated legal in the future. The smart ones got receipts that did not specify "surrender" and they, theoretically, might get their bumpstocks back. The procedures, including the form numbers to help tell the receipts apart, were fairly widely publicized back when all this was happening.
    Theoretically. Wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Trump only disappointed me 3 times. This was one.
    This was one of the worst things he did, if not THE worst. It was bad on so many levels, the least of which was the actual banning of the bump stock. Far more dangerous, imho, was the violation of the takings clause and a horrible, precedent setting abuse of adminitrative authority (i.e. the Chevron doctrine). It should have never taken this long for a court to rule on it.

However, it's a long long way from being over and despite six alleged conservatives on SCOTUS it's still a crapshoot whether they'll even take the case, much less uphold this ruling once it gets there.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    This was one of the worst things he did, if not THE worst. It was bad on so many levels, the least of which was the actual banning of the bump stock. Far more dangerous, imho, was the violation of the takings clause and a horrible, precedent setting abuse of adminitrative authority (i.e. the Chevron doctrine). It should have never taken this long for a court to rule on it.

However, it's a long long way from being over and despite six alleged conservatives on SCOTUS it's still a crapshoot whether they'll even take the case, much less uphold this ruling once it gets there.
    He gave up that(most likely) to get what passed? Who knows?

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    He gave up that(most likely) to get what passed? Who knows?
    Nothing that I can recall. It was in the aftermath of the Vegas shooting so maybe he thought it was low hanging fruit that he would sacrifice to fend off stricter stuff. But as long as he's president he can veto anything that Congress sends. Plus, Trump of all people should know that there is no appeasing these people. I really don't know. Horrible, horrible move.

iirc, the NRA didn't really fight it either.

Seriously, this was one of the most egregious gun control measures in history. I don't think enough people fully appreciate the ramifications of this thing if it holds. If the executive branch can unilaterally redefine gun laws, what's next? Not just for the 2A, but anything.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Nothing that I can recall. It was in the aftermath of the Vegas shooting so maybe he thought it was low hanging fruit that he would sacrifice to fend off stricter stuff. But as long as he's president he can veto anything that Congress sends. Plus, Trump of all people should know that there is no appeasing these people. I really don't know. Horrible, horrible move.

Seriously, this was one of the most egregious gun control measures in history. I don't think enough people fully appreciate the ramifications of this thing if it holds. If the executive branch can unilaterally redefine gun laws, what's next? Not just for the 2A, but anything.
    I don't see them gitting rid of women's right to vote or minority"s eigther. Try playing with that and see how much fighting that will be!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You don't remember correctly. The NRA didn't "not really fight.". Marion Hammer (and what she says is, by default, the official NRA position) jumped out ahead of the issue and issued a statement that bump stocks were machine guns and should have never been legal. She did that long before there was any strong move towards a ban. That statement paved the way for the ban, making it not only possible but easy.

The NRA threw bump stocks under the bus well before they had any reason to, failed to leverage the issue for any gain, and overall demonstrated a shocking anti-2A attitude as well as total political ineptitude.

I'll argue for the NRA under many circumstances but, in this case, phuck 'em.

Top Bottom