• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He doesn't need to be holding one. You might be surprised what technology lurks behind the scenes for these things. We have a new wind meter just released the size of an old film canister that is ultrasonic and reads wind 360 degrees, no need to hold it. As time goes on and more data gets compiled you might be surprised what we know in the end.

So the data does not exist.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    The C/S teams MARS units were recording wind?
    No, but if you want to dive into some of our stuff check out "One Shot" program with DARPA. We do have modern units in the field. I am thinking of some other tech I know that is out there though. MARS are not laser wind reading capable.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Dan Bongino hosts a excellent pod cast andn radio show

He was NYPD and the secret service under Bush? and Obama.

Vehemently conservative, talks like a cop and has been (IMO) the most accurate personality talking into a mic since El Rushbo.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

For those wanting to locate the podcast.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    What if I told you, this data actually exists?
    I find it convenient/easy/comforting to presume the shooter and/or his gear were incompetent/substandard, and for those reasons I tend to lean the other way. I find it more instructive/frightening to PRESUME the opposite. With that presumption in place, conditions and a chance movement of the target caused the miss.

It is also easy to evaluate the result as a success for the security/protection that was in place (despite the fact that the former President WAS hit). Revising that evaluation based on the possibility that he wasn't killed because of a wind gust that couldn't have been seen/compensated for by a competent shooter at that range with no flags/indicators/visible mirage, suggests that we should be viewing the outcome as an outright failure. One man's opinion, but my opinion is colored by experience being caught in completion by a wind change using gear that is FAR more capable than what Crooks was using...

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    I find it convenient/easy/comforting to presume the shooter and/or his gear were incompetent/substandard, and for those reasons I tend to lean the other way. I find it more instructive/frightening to PRESUME the opposite. With that presumption in place, conditions and a chance movement of the target caused the miss.

It is also easy to evaluate the result as a success for the security/protection that was in place (despite the fact that the former President WAS hit). Revising that evaluation based on the possibility that he wasn't killed because of a wind gust that couldn't have been seen/compensated for by a competent shooter at that range with no flags/indicators/visible mirage, suggests that we should be viewing the outcome as an outright failure. One man's opinion, but my opinion is colored by experience being caught in completion by a wind change using gear that is FAR more capable than what Crooks was using...
    I mean you could consider the mirage coming off the building screwed him (ever had to use a mirage cover? stuff gets nasty. That's why every SS rifle you see has a silencer cover). It could have been the wind. It could have been his movement at the exact moment (which was a saving grace). The number of things that could have saved him are large. It could have been a 4 moa rifle, or cheap 4 moa ammo.

What we do know, is that their was enough guardian angel/luck in the air that this was nothing short of a miracle. 125 yards is a chip shot.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I will be stunned if shooter had anything quality. Most likely Chinese made scope with ammo on sale from Academy. I doubt shooter even knew what MOA is or how to calculate it.

His main advantage was 125 yards away.

eta

I shoot off my backyard porch out to 200 and it is mind boggling how close he was to the podium.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Also, what is being covered up here? It is also edited on the Sniper teams too.

1721080716321.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, its a good thing we have multiple doppler RADAR systems and near daily are testing different bullets, bullet designs, and factory ammo. All I need is confirmation on the bullet and I can get the rest.
    My point isn’t that you can’t get good data. It’s that we don’t have good data. Even testing ammo in one rifle doesn’t apply to another and I’m sure you know this.

And the point of that is there’s no use in pulling out ballistics charts with wind drift measurements down to 1/10” when the unknown variables will amount to 1”. So might as well just say 2-3” and be done with it.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Also, what is being covered up here? It is also edited on the Sniper teams too.

View attachment 461946
    I am not sure what you mean by covered up? Those are dope cards, dry erase boards. Or do you mean his scope mounted LRF? The one in front is a MARS https://envision-tek.com/products. The guy behind it looks like he rocking a Wilcox-MRF https://wilcoxind.com/products/combat-systems/fire-control-systems/mrf-xe both of which are rocking our ballistic software and are babies I support.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom