• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    @DocBeech, thanks, very interesting. I'm on the road and don't have access to my gear, so, could I ask it you could provide an estimate of windage deflection for 55gr or 62gr 5.56 bullet caused by 100% wind of 18 mph, and gust of 30 mph? Video just after shooting, and before SS moved President Trump off the stage, showed a row of American Flags to the left of the central bleachers. Flags were not moving initially, but then showed some wind gusting for a few seconds. This supports your report of essentially no wind earlier, but with some gusting wind around the time of the shooting. Flag deflection suggested that the wind would have been almost directly from in front of the stage (hence the 100% value request), although the stage/bleachers could have distorted my perception of wind direction. Thanks in advance!
    Capture1.PNG

I did one that was quick and dirty but the direction would have been correct if I did it correctly. Looking at the chart it was the only time during the that day that put the wind at a 90 degree angle to the bullet path. Trump was facing the shooter.

Last edited:

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    View attachment 461934

I did one that was quick and dirty but the direction would have been correct if I did it correctly. It was the only time during the that day that put the wind at a 90 degree angle to the bullet path. Trump was facing the shooter.
    Thanks @Otto_Mation, wind direction is as I assumed. If you did this calculation already, could you provide the amount of deflection predicted for the 5.56 NATO round at this range and with standard presumed velocities? Thanks! Obviously, President Trump turning his head at the last moment was key, but I'm also interested in how much a gust of wind ALSO added to the miss. Thanks again!

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    @DocBeech, thanks, very interesting. I'm on the road and don't have access to my gear, so, could I ask it you could provide an estimate of windage deflection for 55gr or 62gr 5.56 bullet caused by 100% wind of 18 mph, and gust of 30 mph? Video just after shooting, and before SS moved President Trump off the stage, showed a row of American Flags to the left of the central bleachers. Flags were not moving initially, but then showed some wind gusting for a few seconds. This supports your report of essentially no wind earlier, but with some gusting wind around the time of the shooting. Flag deflection suggested that the wind would have been almost directly from in front of the stage (hence the 100% value request), although the stage/bleachers could have distorted my perception of wind direction. Thanks in advance!
    At 125 yards. With the correct direction of fire, wind direction, and atmospherics recorded at the time the shooting occured.

• 55gr 3100fps Wind Direction 11'oclock.
      • 18mph = 1.49 moa, 0.43 mils or 1.95 inches.
      • 30 mph = 2.46 MOA, 0.72 mils or 3.23 inches.
    • 62gr 3000 fps Wind Direction 11'oclock.
      • 18 mph = 0.98 moa, 0.28 mils or 1.28 inches.
      • 30 mph = 1.61 moa, 0.47mils, or 2.11 inches.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

2-3”, depending on bullet and exactly how far the shooter was. No real specifics to go by so true data is impossible.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Thanks @Otto_Mation, wind direction is as I assumed. If you did this calculation already, could you provide the amount of deflection predicted for the 5.56 NATO round at this range and with standard presumed velocities? Thanks! Obviously, President Trump turning his head at the last moment was key, but I'm also interested in how much a gust of wind ALSO added to the miss. Thanks again!
    XM193.PNG

M193 chart with 10 mph wind

Edit: I see that @DocBeech gave you a more accurate answer above.

Last edited:

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    True data based on unknown muzzle velocity and unknown bullets used at a range estimate that has varied between 115 and 148 yards.

I’m not saying your data is incorrect. But there is no way to know if the inputs used match the situation.
    The weather inputs are correct. The data was pulled for 55gr and 62gr the most common of the shelf ammo, with Muzzle Velocities to match the most common off the shelf ammo. We will learn more, but its a very good picture. The shooter was 125 - 130 yards.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    At 125 yards. With the correct direction of fire, wind direction, and atmospherics recorded at the time the shooting occured.

• 55gr 3100fps @ 11'oclock.
      • 18mph = 1.49 moa, 0.43 mils or 1.95 inches.
      • 30 mph = 2.46 MOA, 0.72 mils or 3.23 inches.
    • 62gr 3000 fps @ 11'oclock.
      • 18 mph = 0.98 moa, 0.28 mils or 1.28 inches.
      • 30 mph = 1.61 moa, 0.47mils, or 2.11 inches.
    MANY thanks! Supports the miracle we observed. Assuming Crooks had his rifle reasonably zeroed, a gust of wind combined with an opportune glance by the President yielded a hit to his ear rather than the intended target. Lack of wind reading skill is a possibility, just as is an unexpected gust as the trigger broke. Doesn't necessarily support the concept that Crooks wasn't a decent shooter. President Trump truly had an angel on his shoulder Saturday...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Dan Bongino says shooter was being monitored by USSS as soon as he arrived but they lost track of him.

Keep seeing posts from this guy. What are his credentials? Is he just a conservative news personality of does he have related experience?

Genuinely curious.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Show me a pic of the shooter holding a wind meter then.
    He doesn't need to be holding one. You might be surprised what technology lurks behind the scenes for these things. We have a new wind meter just released the size of an old film canister that is ultrasonic and reads wind 360 degrees, no need to hold it. As time goes on and more data gets compiled you might be surprised what we know in the end.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Keep seeing posts from this guy. What are his credentials? Is he just a conservative news personality of does he have related experience?

Genuinely curious.
    Dan Bongino hosts a excellent pod cast andn radio show

He was NYPD and the secret service under Bush? and Obama.

Vehemently conservative, talks like a cop and has been (IMO) the most accurate personality talking into a mic since El Rushbo.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom