• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yup, regular old pits have way more room. My "small" 4-footer 20" dia. cooker can do 4 pork shoulders, two turkeys and two chickens at one time. Try that in the BGE!

<snicker> Built this one a coupla years ago....8' grill, 4' smoker. 8 shoulder clods in the smoker, another dozen or so on the grill, an' ya still got room ta spare.

th_100_0290.jpg

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    The best ribs and brisket I have ever eaten were prepared on a Big Green Egg. If anybody is looking for one in the Austin/Round Rock area, I know a guy to put you in touch with that can probably get you a good price. He also hand-builds very affordable custom tables to hold them. Send me a PM if you want more information.

Willpt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    San antonio
    I actually won one in a contest here in San Antonio right before Easter. My father-in-law (the greatest BBQer ever!) told me that my hamburgers and sausage were the best he had ever had. I have witnesses that he actually said this. It is a great grill, have done Pizza, hamburgers, steaks, sausage, fish......comes out great.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I realize this thread is old, but if you google ECB mods and go with a cheapy instead, you can get results that are just as good as the high dollar smokers. I've got one (ecb) and can produce some badass ribs/brisket.

My cousin the liberal bought one last week (the bastard).

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I didn't know what the heck you were referring to so I searched it. It seems a bit expensive for my budget.

For readers who are informationally challenged as I was, here's a link:

High Quality Barbecue Grills - Outdoor Kitchen Products - WholesalePatioStore.com

I'm just not patient enough for the Texas style cookers. I have two large, stainless steel gas grills. I start the fires, in 20 minutes, I'm cooking and in about 45 minutes, it's all done.

My next door neighbor has a huge BBQ smoker/cooker. When he fires it up, I eat smoke for a long time. He does, however, invite me over to eat with them! I went over there last Saturday and he was trying out some fish and shrimp wrapped in bacon. He had some chicken, corn and Kabob's with fish & shrimp, too. He has a huge boat and catches the fish offshore. Yikes! I ate like a pig! It was terrific!

Flash

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Other than the advantage of heat retention when it's cold outside, why?
    The heat retention when it's hot outside helps, too. When you have a smoker that keeps heat in you can use less fuel. The BGE is silly expensive, tho... Is it worth it? Not to me.

I'm just not patient enough for the Texas style cookers. I have two large, stainless steel gas grills. I start the fires, in 20 minutes, I'm cooking and in about 45 minutes, it's all done.
    Yankees...
    What you are doing is called "cooking out"; not BBQ. This might help explain: The BBQ Song - Rhett & Link - YouTube

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble

I take it you've never cooked ribs or a brisket. Or if you did, they turned out like shit.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I've been looking hard at the Weber Smokey Mountain, but I've never used one. I've been comparing the Weber to the BGE...any thoughts?

Yeah, save yourself a few hundred $ and read post #25. Unless you can't work with your hands (to do the mods), there's really no point in spending the extra money IMO.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I used one of those weber smokers the other day. We got quite a bit more meat on it, than I thought. And it kept good temperature, and didn't take that much charcoal.

I was pretty impressed.

If I were going to buy one or the other, I'd do the weber, it's cheaper, and liberals don't like it....

But I'd rather do a normal smoker.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Yup, regular old pits have way more room. My "small" 4-footer 20" dia. cooker can do 4 pork shoulders, two turkeys and two chickens at one time. Try that in the BGE!
    my dads hold 40 something brisket, and his old one held almost 70! Try THAT on a BGE lol

Top Bottom