• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I've been considering buying one for some time now but they're pretty expensive. My cousin the liberal bought one last week (the bastard). Anybody have one that can give it a thumbs up & tell me it's worth the price?
    Lynx Defense

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    The price ha actually dropped dramatically in the last five years. If you BBQ a lot (briskets) more than anything, then its worth it. Briskets, ribs and whole chickens have never turned out better. I honestly can say, that the briskets that come off of these things are by far the best i ever tasted; backyard BBQ or restaurant. And it has nothing to do with me. Same unit we paid $1200 for years ago is selling for $745 now. Wasn't happy when i saw that, but oh well.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You can find 'em on sale for $6-700 range. Ah'm just too old school - I prefer ta do 'em on a regular pit. Besides which, when ah cook, it's usually fer 20+ folks, so ya need plenty of room!

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I come from BGE country(Atlanta) but never had one. A couple of neighbors swore by them, especially for long-term cooking and temperature maintenance. However, cousin in Mississippi loves his Primo Grill Bayou Classic. It used to have a price advantage over the BGE, but I think the prices are closer now with the BGE's lower prices. I've read about a knockoff at Academy, also; but no personal experience. I'll have to stick with my built-in DCS gigunzo grill that came with the house :) .

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Had them for years, and love the way the Egg cooks. I will never BBQ in steel again.
    Perfect temperature control.
    And worth every penny.
    JMO

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ^^ LoL

i have been wanting one since i saw it on bobby flay's show.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't have any issues cooking on a $30 vertical smoker, lol... In the winter you can have issues with heat retention, but the rest of the year here in TX it's not an issue. I actually made a "jacket" for one of my smokers one time for cooking in the winter. A little insulation goes a long way.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I was very stubborn and didn't even consider trying green egg cooked ham until a friend finally convinced me after much persistence.

This friend, Sam, followed me around everywhere saying how great green egg cooked ham is just about anywhere with anyone when cooked according to Dr. Seusses recipe.

I must say after convinced I went back and acknowledged him by trying it everywhere he talked about even with mixed company.

So,

I do so like
    green egg cooked ham!
    Thank you!
    Thank you,
    Sam-I-am

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Got one. It's like an iphone, people ask should I get one & anybody that has one will say hell yes, you'll love it......

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    ...shoulda made myself clear... friends have them and rave over them. Most of the year, it's just too dang hot to go outside and use wood/charcoal... at least for me.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    That's crazy money but as they say you only cry once.
    How well do they cook burgers and steaks?

I haven't done burgers but it get's hot enough to cook steak Ruths Chris style. I don't have the words to tell you how good they are.. :)

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    You can find 'em on sale for $6-700 range. Ah'm just too old school - I prefer ta do 'em on a regular pit. Besides which, when ah cook, it's usually fer 20+ folks, so ya need plenty of room!

Yup, regular old pits have way more room. My "small" 4-footer 20" dia. cooker can do 4 pork shoulders, two turkeys and two chickens at one time. Try that in the BGE!

Top Bottom