• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I never liked the idea of killing a white tail deer with a .223. Still don't with common bullet weight. But a few years ago I loaded some 22-250 ammo for my brother using Speer 70 gr Semi Spitzer SP bullets. He was right to chose it. I use that bullet as my go to with my 5.56 NATO rifle. That made me more respectful of the AR-15 for hunting.

I still prefer a 30-30 for do all brush gun. There are a lot of them still in use, it showed in not being able to buy 30-30 brass for several years. A month ago, I finally got a 250 round order of Starline Brass for reloading. Prior to that I was using once fired brass. (I had plenty of factory loads)

I have had very good results with the Speer .224 bullet as well. Out of a 18” barrel I had best velocity & accuracy using H-322 and the CCI srp.

Killed quite a few hogs with that load before I passed that barrel onto my grandson.

At $19.00 per 100 they are an excellent buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    243, various 6mm’s, 25 cal, 6.5mm. I’ve used 30-30, 6.6 Grendel, .308, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.8 spc. Good bullets and shot placement is what puts em down, not displacement.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I have had very good results with the Speer .224 bullet as well. Out of a 18” barrel I had best velocity & accuracy using H-322 and the CCI srp.

Killed quite a few hogs with that load before I passed that barrel onto my grandson.

At $19.00 per 100 they are an excellent buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My 5.56 NATO has a heavy 18" 1-8" twist barrel. I bought a lot of 1053 Speer 70 gr bullets. Some at $19 and some on special at $15.29. What I like about the bullet is nothing protrudes deeper than the neck of the bullet and more bullet surface is in contract with the barrel. Gives stability. There are more dynamic shaped, but I've not found anything more stable. I've not killed a deer with it, but am sure is will kill even a heavy white tail.

I have used Varget or AR Plus powder and Win #41 NATO primers.

I built the rifle with a wooden maple stock. It is not light, but actually looks and feels like a hunting rifle.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    We perfected deer hunting in the 1930s when Remington figured out the Core Lokt and stuck one in a surplus 03-a3. Everything since then has been largely academic.

That being said, my preferred rifle is a Ruger No.1 in .257 Roberts shooting Nosler 110+p Accubonds.
    Remington Cor Lokt is a fine bullet. Old timers swore by it. Like a lot of things since Obama, Cor Lokt bullets have been hard to find. Remington closed in NY. RemArms is moving to GA.

Hornady's Spire Point Interlock is also a classic bullet. It is my go to for 30 caliber rifles. And their FTX series for 30-30 is a major step forward for a very old rifle.

RatBikeRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I am appalled we are 5 pages into this discussion and none of my Texican brethren have mentioned the venerable 357 Magnum lever gun! Yes, there are a lot of better rounds, but I do not think I have used a round more than the 357 walking brushy woods with a companion 357 wheel gun. But I am not the consummate hunter.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You should change your name to “Quigley”.

How long did you have wait for the pigs and the two deer to lineup for that shot?

JK, I’m in “smart ass” mode this morning and couldn’t resist!
    My shortest Texas hunting season was two shots from my 1895SBL
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    First shot after about 5 minutes in the stand and the next morning….
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    second shot about 5 minutes after legal light the next morning.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    My shortest Texas hunting season was two shots from my 1895SBLView attachment 460074First shot after about 5 minutes in the stand and the next morning….View attachment 460075second shot about 5 minutes after legal light the next morning.
    Where about were you hunting in Texas - if you don’t mind me asking.

Those appear to be well-fed deer!

They usually don’t get that “fat” here in east Texas. I would guess hill country around Lampasas?

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The .35 Rem works well in brush, but not over 100 yards. Expensive ammo, too. A bit overkill, but effective.
    I finally located some 35 ammo at a decent price ($40 per box of 20) and picked up a few.

Even though the .35 is a great round, that’s almost twice as expensive as 30-30 for a marginal gain in performance out to about 100 yards. Past that, the 30-30 has the edge for another 50 yards or so before it, too, becomes marginal.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I finally located some 35 ammo at a decent price ($40 per box of 20) and picked up a few.

Even though the .35 is a great round, that’s almost twice as expensive as 30-30 for a marginal gain in performance out to about 100 yards. Past that, the 30-30 has the edge for another 50 yards or so before it, too, becomes marginal.
    225 yards with Marlin 336 Dark 30-30. I do this pretty regularly past 200 yards.
    IMG_7871.jpeg
    IMG_7874.jpeg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I never liked the idea of killing a white tail deer with a .223. Still don't with common bullet weight. But a few years ago I loaded some 22-250 ammo for my brother using Speer 70 gr Semi Spitzer SP bullets. He was right to chose it. I use that bullet as my go to with my 5.56 NATO rifle. That made me more respectful of the AR-15 for hunting.

I still prefer a 30-30 for do all brush gun. There are a lot of them still in use, it showed in not being able to buy 30-30 brass for several years. A month ago, I finally got a 250 round order of Starline Brass for reloading. Prior to that I was using once fired brass. (I had plenty of factory loads)

<>

Being Old, I can recall way back post WWII, when both .30carbine & the .222 varmint round were temporarily popular for Texas whitetail.

There is significantly more energy at target with the .243Win.

<>

Top Bottom