• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Regarding the .243...I know there are more powerful cartridges out there, but is it sufficient for harvesting deer in TX?
    I am in agreement with this also. When I was younger the .243 was viewed as a deer hunting caliber for kids and women and us real men carried 30-06 or 7mm magnum in the woods. I have had a .243 for years and used it mostly for hogs but I found that it was a fantastic round for deer. I no longer hunt but if I was to go on a deer hunt that is what I would carry.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There's no shortage of good deer cartridges. Most anything between .223 and 30-06 is pretty much good to go. Any less than that, and it gets a little iffy if your shot placement isn't perfect. Anything more than that just damages the meat unnecessarily. I tend to gravitate more towards the middle of that range. 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 Rem (Ballistic twin of 30-30), 30-40 Krag, ect. I'd really like to either get my hands on a Savage 99 in .250 Savage, or build a light weight bolt action in that chambering. I feel like it's darn near the perfect deer round for this part of the country.

Regarding the .243...I know there are more powerful cartridges out there, but is it sufficient for harvesting deer in TX?
    .243 is just fine. My grandparents and great grandparents have taken a lot of deer with that round.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My Father in law and his brother lived up there. They both passed a few years back and I had to get the properties in shape to sell.
    You are right about the methbillies and the crap they create.
    I originally thought about retiring to Palestine. I have another friend with a family farm in Palestine. They burned down the old farmhouse & cleaned it up some, built a garage on the property and put ATV's, a welding machine on a trailer, and tools plus flatbed trailer. It all got stolen. As my old buddy Ralph says The damned outlaws are every where out here. Needless to say I stated away from Anderson County all together

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Recommended-Calibers-for-Game-400-pixels.gif

Top Bottom