• ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    We've been on a boil water notice since Beryl. I finally called the water company today and asked how much longer, which she couldn't answer, and that lead to when were the samples dropped at the lab. A transfer to someone who knows but thrives on repetitive redundancy :( and I learned they were dropped today. Mutha panker, that means Monday at best and likely Tuesday or later! :mad:

I haven't smelled or seen a poor quality indicator throughout so screw that, I'm consuming piped water when I get home. :what:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    That's what I've been using silly man.
    I bought 6 more gal this morning along with another 5gal jug and will save them for the next outage.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's about 10 years old, she is elderly with one leg, She has a company that maintains it for her. The motor still runs, it stopped genning.
    Could be brushes and/or slip rings. Pretty common on a lot of generators, especially if it's loaded up towards capacity. I'm sure the maintenance company will handle that part.

But it still brings up the reality of what these things are, specifically that it's powered by a small 2 cylinder engine. They have a tiny 2 qt. crankcase, and they use oil. Ideally it'd be stopped every day to check and top off, but that's not feasible for everyone.

I really want everyone who runs an air cooled generator like this to understand it is a bad idea to go past 4 days without stopping it to check and fill, it's likely near or at the bottom of the dipstick at that point. Go much longer and it's going to shut down, probably at the worst possible moment.

glenbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I agree with Brains completely. I fired up our generator without even thinking of checking the oil. Finally on the 4th day I shut it down for a couple of minutes and it took over half a quart to get it filled. I wonder how close I came to ruining it. It still ran great for the next 2 days and I'm sure it will again.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I like the oil safety switches, keeps dummy's like us from ruining stuff.
    I bought a Troy Built weed eater, it's a 4 stroke motor on it, it has a dip stick just like a big motor. It ran great for a while, then one day it wouldn't start. I drove me nuts. Then I decided I would take it to a repairman and get it fixed. It's in the car when I figured I better check the oil so they won't ruin it. There was none on the dip stick. I filled it up then thought, Hmmm, I spun it and it started. I'm just so proud of myself.
    This one, I can start with my cordless drill, no pulling the rope. I bought an adapter for the drill that plugs into the back where the cord is that spins it.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Of course they want us to pay for the reaction necessary to mitigate their poor planning. Just a snippet from the article...

Chief Executive Officer Jason Wells apologized for the frustrations felt by customers during a legislative hearing Monday but rejected calls to resign, saying the utility would lose momentum on planned improvements. The company’s post-storm plan includes increasing tree-trimming efforts, installing tougher poles and wires, and recruiting more executives with emergency preparation skills, he said.

Meanwhile, CenterPoint said second-quarter profit rose 31% from a year earlier to $234 million, on an adjusted basis, exceeding every analyst estimate in a Bloomberg survey.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Chief Executive Officer Jason Wells apologized for the frustrations felt by customers during a legislative hearing Monday but rejected calls to resign,''''''''''''''''''''''''' and recruiting more executives with emergency preparation skills, he said.

Right, more executives will fix it

1722563389127.png

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Don't look now but another storm is boiling up.
    Models have it going to Florida.
    Those models are NEVER wrong.
    You mean like Beryl was supposed to be a Mexico storm? Yep; early predictions are never, ever, even remotely wrong.

But I'm kinda thinking that Invest 97L won't end up being a Texas storm. The good news, though, is that the peak of our hurricane season isn't until the first week of September--when I have jury duty, by the way; always, er, interesting going to that massive Harris County cattle-call in stormy weather--so we have plenty of time for more storms! :)

Top Bottom