• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Still too early to tell where it will make landfall.
    Most of the models I’m seeing are predicting Brownsville.
    South Texas needs some rain.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    The way I've been reading it is that the high pressure area that's been over Florida has been moving east a little more quickly than expected, and Beryl may be moving a little slower. The eye is moving to the south of Jamaica, so potentially less disruption by Jamaica's mountains. Meanwhile, the Florida high moving east is creating an opening for the jet stream to dip down into Texas, and that combination may shift the ultimate landfall farther north than the averages of the models right now, which put it into northern Mexico.

We probably won't have any better data until it crosses the Yucatan, but much northward tug and it could well end up aiming for south Texas. At least all models are still showing it as being a Cat 1(ish) at that time, not a Cat 4 or 5.

I guess the forecasters weren't wrong about this being a very active hurricane season.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I remember Ike was supposed to go to Brownsville, my Mom and Aunt were flying in to Houston to visit us. I told them it was going to be safe. Next morning it's headed to Houston, it was too late they were on the plane. I get to Hobby Airport, everyone was leaving town at the airport, nope here comes Mom and Aunt Marge. Traffic was a mess, the storm Ike hit that night, power went out. Roof was leaking, luckily power came back on the next day in our neighborhood. My Mom got a sweatshirt that said "I survived Ike".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    1720051308054.png

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I remember Ike was supposed to go to Brownsville... Ike hit that night, power went out. Roof was leaking, luckily power came back on the next day in our neighborhood. My Mom got a sweatshirt that said "I survived Ike".

I lived it with ya. I'm up in northwest Harris County. Even with the Ike last-minute tracking change I figured it wouldn't be so bad this far inland. Been through typhoons in the eastern hemisphere and hurricanes in this one, and Ike did a bigger number on me than any of the others.

The 20:00 Central report has Beryl shifted a bit. Landfall estimate has moved from northern Mexico toward Brownsville. But still a Cat 1.

Top Bottom