• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Speaking of trucks. I'm in the market for a used 3/4 ton 4x4 gasser if anyone knows of one. I sold my old 6.blow awhile back, but need something else. Single cab/Extended or Crew. Would like it to be sub 140,000 miles and Sub $20k. I'm probably asking to much in todays market. Just need something decently reliable to pull a 7,200lbs GVWR bumper pull travel trailer. I know some half tons could probably do it. I just worry about tounge weight and would like piece of mind of having the extra capacity.
    I gave up my search. The wife can put duct tape on her pos as long as it passes inspection. This market is a rip-off. However if you have to buy I’d say just get a first or second gen 5.4 triton (both 2 valve) a early 2000’s Silverado before afm. Or a very good condition Nissan Titan. If you needed me to look a titan over for you before buying let me know.

Now...even with Chevy having afm, reported problems are low In years 08-13. My opinion is I don’t think a guy needs to worry about lifters failing as long as he keeps the valvetrain clean. Stay away from Chevy direct injection. Stay away from the 6.2

if you can find a Chevy 6.0 those are great engines. The ford 6.2 gas is actually ok if lower mileage.
    Military Camp

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I gave up my search. The wife can put duct tape on her pos as long as it passes inspection. This market is a rip-off. However if you have to buy I’d say just get a first or second gen 5.4 triton (both 2 valve) a early 2000’s Silverado before afm. Or a very good condition Nissan Titan. If you needed me to look a titan over for you before buying let me know.

Now...even with Chevy having afm, reported problems are low In years 08-13. My opinion is I don’t think a guy needs to worry about lifters failing as long as he keeps the valvetrain clean. Stay away from Chevy direct injection. Stay away from the 6.2

if you can find a Chevy 6.0 those are great engines. The ford 6.2 gas is actually ok if lower mileage.
    Another great truck that is often looked over is the Frontier. I am on my second one and they are great. Last forever and no real major problems with them. My first one was 2012 and it drove like a typical small truck. My new one is a 2018 and they did something to make it really fast. It hauls complete ass. Idk what the heck they changed but it runs like a meth head

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

I use to have a 2005 6.0 gas GMC 2500 also. Miss that truck. Hard to find one with low miles though in that 03-07 range that also isn't beat to crap. Know anything about 14-17 6.4 Hemis? I may just save my pennies for a little longer and pony up.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Another great truck that is often looked over is the Frontier. I am on my second one and they are great. Last forever and no real major problems with them. My first one was 2012 and it drove like a typical small truck. My new one is a 2018 and they did something to make it really fast. It hauls complete ass. Idk what the heck they changed but it runs like a meth head
    I love my frontier and will run into the ground. For my daily driver it has been a great truck going on 5 years now. Unfortunately it can't tow anything worth a damn. You have the V6 in yours?

Reactions: MTA

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I use to have a 2005 6.0 gas GMC 2500 also. Miss that truck. Hard to find one with low miles though in that 03-07 range that also isn't beat to crap. Know anything about 14-17 6.4 Hemis? I may just save my pennies for a little longer and pony up.
    Avoid dodge gas. Run. It’s a good deal if it’s free.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Ya those Frontiers just go. I saw one of the new body styles out in the wild about a week ago. Gotta say it’s pretty sharp looking. Prior to that, they’ve been around in that form for what, 15 years or so? Plenty time to work out the kinks

Reactions: MTA

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

I have a White 2010 F150 Lariat 4WD -door still with a month factory warranty remaining, Yes, Factory extended warranty ~ 106K miles. Never off-roaded, never hauled anything bigger than a Jeep. Truck is 100 miles East of Texas.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have a White 2010 F150 Lariat 4WD -door still with a month factory warranty remaining, Yes, Factory extended warranty ~ 106K miles. Never off-roaded, never hauled anything bigger than a Jeep. Truck is 100 miles East of Texas.
    A truck like yours would be a good find.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Bought a 2015 Frontier in Sept of 2019 and it only had 27,000 miles on it .

+Had 4 new tires and a new spray on bed liner and the 4 cyl engine that has
    a lot getup and go to it.
    Just turned 37,000 with no problems what so ever .
    I like that it has a really stiff suspension and can load up on a lot of bags of mulch. lol

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Bought a 2015 Frontier in Sept of 2019 and it only had 27,000 miles on it .

+Had 4 new tires and a new spray on bed liner and the 4 cyl engine that has
    a lot getup and go to it.
    Just turned 37,000 with no problems what so ever .
    I like that it has a really stiff suspension and can load up on a lot of bags of mulch. lol
    Keep up on transmission service with it. Otherwise it will serve you well. Also just make a habit of taking a look at the axle seal in those times.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Had a 2016 hemi. Loved that truck but my wife totaled it under 50k miles so cant speak to longevity. So much fun to drive

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Will do and thanks for the heads up.
    The problems on these trucks are blown up on the internet but the axle seals/valves on the Titans and frontiers are an issue. Some won’t show anything until down the road and you see your brake area by the seal damp. Fix it leave it as long as it’s damp and thin. Like you think it’s a water mark. It’s only when they really go you will know. Transmissions are said to leak coolant but I never had that issue. But that’s pretty much it with these trucks. I know nissans well. If you ever need help figuring out how to replace something let me know.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    As I was considering a Toyota Tacoma for my next "last pickup", I began following Tacoma internet talk sites. They are full of young guys who preen to "look tough" and replace wheels & tires w/ oversize. That seriously degrades performance, esp. "MPG" and brought complaints. Toyota USA told them that they advised against, but if they insisted, the gearing should be changed. As the posters were mostly"Hard-Leg Boasters", I got off the sites. My next "last pickup" won't be a Toyota. leVieux
    I stay off the Tacoma site as I'm not interested in the oversize wheels and such. I got a tacoma to be dependable and run for many years without problems. Only changes to mine have been adding a cover on the bed and adding wiring for ham radio.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I stay off the Tacoma site as I'm not interested in the oversize wheels and such. I got a tacoma to be dependable and run for many years without problems. Only changes to mine have been adding a cover on the bed and adding wiring for ham radio.

OK, Please tell me of your experience. I keep hearing the same complaints re Tacoma's for decades: Uncomfortable driver's seat, road noise, and too-expensive dealer service. Are those still problem areas ?

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Thank you; considering Colorado, Canyon, & Jeep Gladiator. Current 4WD’s are ‘20 Yukon Denali, ‘10 LARIAT, & ‘01 Jeep. ISO smaller truck this time. Is the little Diesel enough power?
    Please do not buy a modern diesel, especially in a small truck that doesn't need it. ESPECIALLY if you plan to keep it. There is ZERO problems with the V6 in the modern Colorado/Canyon nor is there any issues with the 8 speed transmission. 3.6L problems were back in 07-10. It's a good engine now. The 8-speed problems were very minor (especially compared to issues with the 6L) with the early ones having converter/fluid problems and fluid temp sensor issues.

BTW, when that engine does need the timing belt replaced, the transmission has to come out because it's on the back of the engine. Please make sure a smaller truck is what you want. You'll pay slightly less for a truck that will be nearly worthless in 6-9 years versus a full size truck that will retain value well. Not much market for a small truck up here so for new sales the full size outsells the mid by probably 20:1 new.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Please do not buy a modern diesel, especially in a small truck that doesn't need it. ESPECIALLY if you plan to keep it. There is ZERO problems with the V6 in the modern Colorado/Canyon nor is there any issues with the 8 speed transmission. 3.6L problems were back in 07-10. It's a good engine now. The 8-speed problems were very minor (especially compared to issues with the 6L) with the early ones having converter/fluid problems and fluid temp sensor issues.

BTW, when that engine does need the timing belt replaced, the transmission has to come out because it's on the back of the engine. Please make sure a smaller truck is what you want. You'll pay slightly less for a truck that will be nearly worthless in 6-9 years versus a full size truck that will retain value well. Not much market for a small truck up here so for new sales the full size outsells the mid by probably 20:1 new.
    Consumer complaints are threw the roof with post 16 v6 and the 8 speed. That’s why I picked mine. And it’s been solid. The most practical rig for me. Light tow good pay load and great mpg.

Top Bottom