• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    IMO, There should be, everywhere. Guns and alcohol don't mix well. I can't believe a range owner would even consider this. Now, as said earlier, if there is some rule disallowing anyone who's been drinking from going back to shooting, that's a different story.
    The Liberals use the exact same line of reasoning when arguing that we should not be able to carry guns. They say things like "if someone is carrying a gun and they get really mad they might shoot someone", or "blood will flow in the streets if everyone carries guns".

Who cares if a bar is next to a range? There is nothing preventing someone from showing up drunk at any range now and shooting, except staff and other shooters. And obviously the bar/range would have staff and other shooters to stop any possible drunks.

The answer to the anti-gun Liberals, and to you, is personal responsibility. It's now proven that when citizens have the right to carry they will rise to the occasion and do so responsibly. Don't get drunk and shoot a gun. If someone is a moron and breaks the code then there will be consequences but until that happens we should mind our own business.
    Venture Surplus ad

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Why do you think that?
    I don't think the two mix... and I'd bet about 90% of the adult population agree. A bar and a Range have no business being combined. I realize that the "no rule is ever a good rule" population in here will not agree, but I really don't care. I am a drinker. I like a little booze now and then for sure... but I don't want a bar at the range where I shoot.

I have a perfect right to my opinion - as do you.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I don't think the two mix... and I'd bet about 90% of the adult population agree. A bar and a Range have no business being combined. I realize that the "no rule is ever a good rule" population in here will not agree, but I really don't care. I am a drinker. I like a little booze now and then for sure... but I don't want a bar at the range where I shoot.

I have a perfect right to my opinion - as do you.

This has nothing to do with opinion. "Probably could not exist" means either it would be illegal, or TABC would never give an on-premises license to a range. The former is false and I might agree with the latter.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    This has nothing to do with opinion. "Probably could not exist" means either it would be illegal, or TABC would never give an on-premises license to a range. The former is false and I might agree with the latter.

Yeah. I meant the TABC would probably not grant such a license. I'm not much for things being made illegal with a wide paint brush. Too many good things get swept into the trash that way.

The opinion part was me saying I don't think they should be together.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah. I meant the TABC would probably not grant such a license. I'm not much for things being made illegal with a wide paint brush. Too many good things get swept into the trash that way.

The opinion part was me saying I don't think they should be together.

If the location meets the statutory requirements, TABC cannot deny the license because of some arbritary reason.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I don't claim to know what TABC's requirements and/or regulations would be in this situation. I do know from experience that they are very difficult to deal with. Friend in full compliance with a bar had hell with one of their investigators over some really petty bullshit. Almost didn't get his license approval over the opinion of the TABC agent.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    One of the ranges I visit when I go to SHOT in Las Vegas has a beautiful clubhouse with bar:

Desert Hills Shooting Club

slide-bar.jpg

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    I agree with the "personal responsibility" comment that somebody made above. But, on the other hand, while I believe in personal responsibility, I am too dumb to reconcile that with the concept of selling alcohol on a range. I'll come right out and say it... That is hands down the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Out of the three accidental shootings I am aware of in my 43 year long life, where I personally knew of the parties involved, each and every damned one of them had intoxication involved as a factor.... I'll state for the record that I am not opposed to drinking although I totally quit over 5 years ago due to health issues. I am not opposed to hanging out with drinking buddies either, although when I am not joining in with them their sometimes stupid and obnoxious behavior sticks out like a sore thumb. I am the one that always winds up being the designated driver and I am happy to do it... Would I recommend a range with a bar? HELL NO! Would I let my kids shoot there? DOUBLE HELL NO!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I can't remember the name of the place, but there used to be a bar and gun range in Harris County on BW-8 near HWY 249 for a number of years. They had mainly shotgun sports, but added pistol ranges when the CHL came to Texas. I used to be a part of a dove lease on the property after it burned/shut down. Pretty sure it was open for business in the 90's.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What I don't understand is why people can't have a little self-frickin'-control. Seriously, I mean a 1 maybe 2 hour wait before drinking? People are so impatient these days. Go shoot your guns, have fun, get all that stuff over with.......THEN sit down, chill out, and have a beer. People just have to risk doing stupid and potentially lethal stuff because they can't wait one or two hours. We've kicked people off our range that couldn't wait ONE damn hour or less and had to go drink in the parking lot before coming into the store to shoot, as opposed to waiting 30min-1hr, driving home, then drinking as much as they want. I swear to God, sometimes I think I am the only responsible person alive. I'm not necessarily opposed to there being alcohol available nearby (such as the private shooting club with separate bar pictured above) where people can chill out AFTERWORDS. I wouldn't get within maximum ballistic range (say 4-5 miles) of a public range if there were alcohol allowed.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What I don't understand is why people can't have a little self-frickin'-control. ... I wouldn't get within maximum ballistic range (say 4-5 miles) of a public range if there were alcohol allowed.

+100

sgtredneck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Channelview,Tx
    Bar at a Range is old there use to be one right here on the east side of Houston for years until the housing editions ran them out of business. It was the Ponderosa Gun Club then it was The Lake Houston Gun Club I believe, it was on garrett rd. in Sheldon,Tx. Right down the road from the Sheldon Reservoir. So bar's at gun ranges is not new but is it safe you be the judge.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Sorta started thinking about this one....It would make for an interesting type of IDPA/3gun match/experiment. Obviously you'd have to have really good RSOs. Probably to the point of holding the shooters collar to make sure everything went the right direction. but the experiment: Do a base line with each shooter so you establish their performance prior to the experiment. Then you have a control group that does not drink and continues to do the sequences and record their times. Then you have drunky mcshooty (or 3) doing the sequences with really tight control for safety purposes. Drunky basically does a shot, waits 10 minutes and then does his sequence. Then 2 shots, waits, sequence and so on. It would be interesting, but obvious, to see how alcohol affects performance.

This obivously isnt ground breaking, but if tightly controlled with proper percautions taken could be fun or at least interesting.

Certainly give you an idea as to how realistic it is that you could defend yourself after tieing one on.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Most military installations have a Morale Welfare and Recreation activity. MWR is not funded by the government, but is supposed to be self-supporting.

The Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club is a MWR activity.

They do not sell alcohol on the range, only in the "Bullseye Bar & Grill" in that MWR complex.

Furthermore, the Range Rules are plenty explicit: "Alcohol, in any form, is not allowed on the Ranges. Rod & Gun Club personnel will refuse admittance to any range if an individual APPEARS to be under the influence of alcohol."

At some military installations, the range might be immediately adjacent to the facility that serves food and drink. At others, there is quite a bit of separation. We had no range at my garrison in Germany, but we did have a Rod & Gun Club that sold us plenty of Schnitzels and locally brewed beers,

I can think of no more an enjoyable time (other than sex or jumping out of airplanes), than to spend some range time with friends, then have some Schnitzel substitute and beer after a good round of shooting.

Military discipline and the range staff ensures it does not happen the other way around.

Be Well,

Short Round, Rounds Complete

See also: blissmwr.com/rodandgun

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Why not. Even the club I belong to said we can drink beer after we stopped shooting. Friends are not going to let someone be a dumbass.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    What I don't understand is why people can't have a little self-frickin'-control.
    Because lawyers have trained the public to believe that no matter what happens to you, it is not your fault, it is someone else's... and we can sue that someone and get some cash.

Are you poor? Not your fault.
    Are you ugly? Not your fault.
    Are you unemployed? Not your fault.
    Are you pregnant? Not your fault.

Did someone act stupid at the range? He was acting like an idiot but you sat right next to him anyway and didn't use common sense and leave? Not your fault. Let's sue!!!!

Top Bottom