• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddy

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, however as a business owner I would probably impose some serious restrictions. For instance: you can go to the range and shoot, but once you enter the bar your hand gets stamped and you can't return to the range that day. The bar stuff then would be the normal stuff: don't over serve people.

But yeah: the idiots at the range can be scary enough, I really don't want them liqoured up too.

That I would be okay with.
    DK Firearms

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Typically in an effort to have some uniformity, military bases adopt the state laws of the state they are located in. For example, when on Ft. Sam Houston all Texas laws still apply, in addition to Federal statutes.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    What laws are those?

Well... Obviously they don't just throw out the laws, but certain Texas laws do not apply the same. For example, you can buy alcohol (liquor, beer, wine) at the Class Six anytime seven days a week and it's limited to certain hours / days off base. Pretty obvious that they look at liquor laws differently. There are many things that are handled differently on base.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Well... Obviously they don't just throw out the laws, but certain Texas laws do not apply the same. For example, you can buy alcohol (liquor, beer, wine) at the Class Six anytime seven days a week and it's limited to certain hours / days off base. There are many things that are handled differently on base.

No, I mean what State laws would make it illegal for a range to have a bar?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    No, I mean what State laws would make it illegal for a range to have a bar?

Never said there was such a thing... just that some things are handled differently (alcohol being one one of them), so it might not be a problem on base even if it isn't a legal practice off base. I don't know the law on this... so it's speculation from us at this point.

daddy

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    As long as they are licensed by TABC there is no law that would prohibit it.

IMO, There should be, everywhere. Guns and alcohol don't mix well. I can't believe a range owner would even consider this. Now, as said earlier, if there is some rule disallowing anyone who's been drinking from going back to shooting, that's a different story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I see no problem if people are responsible, like anything else.

At first I thought-STUPID! Then; if you're drinking beyond self control, you'll be in much greater danger of harming or killing someone in the car you're about to go home in. Vehicles are by far more dangerous then guns. Plus if you do get pulled over for DWI, that CHL licence is by-by too! But then, I save my drinking for when I'm sitting at home on my computer, giving my opinion to a bunch of people I don't know on a blog sight about deadly weapons!

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Someone should call the authorities and inquire about the legality of that.
    WHY????? if you dont like their policies, THEN DONT GO THERE!! it kills me when SOMEONE wants to shut down a business when said person doesnt like what said business is doing!!!!!
    Something bad WILL happen at that range.
    not to you if you dont go there!! it is not your job to POLICE that range!! and from the other aspect, iam all for letting STUPID people kill themselves due to STUPID actions!!!! its the best way to GET RID OF EM.....

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    If this establishment was not on a military base, it probably could not exist - provided we are being given all of the facts here.
    Not trying to condemn a business......was just wondering if this was common practice among other ranges.....To be fair to the range, I have not shot there, but went with my wife and son to look it over because we wanted to join as it is a large, nice range. The first thing I saw when going in was the bar with a handful of patrons drinking beer one of which had a sidearm. The rules state that all weapons must be unloaded before entering clubhouse, so I assume it was. The sight of a bar there just made me uncomfortable and I do not give them my business for that reason.The kid that was assigning ranges to folks was in eyesight of the bar and hopefully keeps an eye on folks so someone who is buzzed cannot get on the range. But, again, I have not shot there and do not know how they function...just want that to be clear...I was just wondering if this was common at other ranges. There is only one rule in their list concerning alcohol...I pasted it below.I apologize. Didn't mean for this to get blown out of proportion, just being curious about other ranges in Texas.

Alcohol, in any form, is not allowed on the ranges. Rod & Gun club personnel will refuse admittance to any range if an individual APPEARS to be under the influence of alcohol.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Chrs2fer23, don't apologize. You didn't start anything here. This forum is for the discussion of guns-n-stuff. Lots of us on the forum thought we had heard just about everything there is to hear about proper and improper firearm handling. You have introduced another topic for discussion.

"I", personally, will not be going to this range as it combines oil and water and it isn't on a salad. However, I also believe in less government, so the people saying it should be illegal or should be shut down will be on the opposite side of the coin from me. The point was made that if a person is responsible, they should be allowed to do their thing on the range. I agree with that wholeheartedly, but in my experience, too many AREN'T responsible and will make choices that will harm others, perhaps me or someone I care for, so as I said I will not be at that particular range.

Further, the owner/operator of that range is either: 1, a friggin' genuis with a great new idea (I don't think this), 2. a frigging idiot who doesn't have a clue, or 3. someone who has done what he believes is his due diligence and has policies and more importantly, the personnel on the range to ensure safety of all there. I am sure his insurer has had some input and to keep that, he has to have some extra safeguards in place. Although the range and the bar can probably support themselves on their own, losing insurance coverage for either will close both as I am sure the policies can't be separate.

This is a healthy debate, Sit back and enjoy the journey it takes all of us on.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    How many people here have drank beer while hunting?! I don't see much difference. Personally, I could imagine a very pleasant afternoon of drinking a few beers and putting holes in paper! If anyone starts getting belligerant or dangerous, well, they're surrounded by people with guns.

I drink beer with my neighbors while carrying all the time. No accidents so far. I doubt there would be any if shooting was involved as well.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    interesting to see a group of folks that regularly scream about over regulation....now wanting the "authorities" to do something about a business they dont agree with. why not make your point with your wallet? dont go there. i'm not saying I support what they are doing, just saying some of these post fly in the face of what is typically posted (which is usually for the govt to stay out of our business)

Concur 100% TexasCop2. It's a private business. Don't go if you don't like it.

In fact, it's this very attitude amongst all these gun owners that I believe points to the fact that it wouldn't be a problem at all. Most gun owners are responsible types. For the idiots, you have some solid Alan-type range nazis and you put out any fires before they start.

That said....it would be MUCH MUCH WISER if they have shooting til dusk with the grill open all day and bar opens after this. Or the policy on alcohol is no shooting after drinking - closely monitor this (I like the hand stamp idea). After the range closes at sundown (assuming this is outdoors), people can drink up til they are content and then drive home over the limit like most everybody does who goes out to enjoy the bar.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Generally speaking, I don't have much problem with anything consenting adults want to do that doesn't harm another person. As long as the bar / range is handled in a professional and adult fashion, all is probably good. Plus - It's on a military base, so off color conduct gets nipped pretty quickly and real punishment for stupid behavior still exists.

Just the same. I think I'd opt for another place to shoot. Alcohol impairs judgment, motor skills, and makes people stupid if consumed excessively. I don't want that "one guy" that is that guy shooting next to me.

BUT

I don't think that gives me the right to say that they should be shut down.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I would love to be able to have a beer and pizza after a day of shooting, without having to go to a pizza place.

Top Bottom