• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    I’m having issues with the bolt catch on my rifle. The bolt won’t lock back on an empty magazine. The bolt catch appears to not be catching the follower on the magazine. There also seems to be more play (forward/backward) on the bolt catch when I move it with my hand. Anyone had this issue before? The only things I can think of is bolt catch and/or detent are bad, or the lower is not properly machined, allow the catch to move just far enough back not to grab the follower.

Attachments

• FF15F431-FF8F-49D5-9E6D-8D5469842BCC.jpeg
      FF15F431-FF8F-49D5-9E6D-8D5469842BCC.jpeg
      254.9 KB · Views: 94
    • 13B6CD73-62F3-400C-9E8A-293089B362A3.jpeg
      13B6CD73-62F3-400C-9E8A-293089B362A3.jpeg
      287.2 KB · Views: 100

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Try a different magazine if you haven't already done so. Preferably a USGI aluminum.

If you cant, or there is no change, measure the lock open tab to the back face of the catch.

This;
    iMarkup_20220325_004122.jpg

Ill have to wait till i get to work to get my calipers to get a measurement of a known good one

Last edited:

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    I tried multiple pmags, have a few aluminum ones I’ll try in the morning. I got it to work properly a few times by working the charging handle back fast. I will get a measurement of the lock open tab tomorrow also

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    It could be the angle of the photo but it does look like the tab on the catch is maybe just a little short? But again it could be the angle that it was taken at. I will say, it doesn't catch by much though so if you are off by just a bit then it won't work right. I would just start taking measurements and compare them to a known working rifle.

I just popped one of mine open to compare and nothing dramatic is different from yours.
    IMG_1489.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I’m having issues with the bolt catch on my rifle. The bolt won’t lock back on an empty magazine. The bolt catch appears to not be catching the follower on the magazine. There also seems to be more play (forward/backward) on the bolt catch when I move it with my hand. Anyone had this issue before? The only things I can think of is bolt catch and/or detent are bad, or the lower is not properly machined, allow the catch to move just far enough back not to grab the follower.
    Is your magazine loose? It looks like it is forward away from the catch.

If the catch works when you work the charging handle the bolt carrier may be pulling the mag back into the catch properly.

Try rocking the bottom of the magazine forward and see if that helps. If so it could be worn mags or a machining issue with the mag well.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    What does the bottom of the bolt look like? And a picture of the charging handle might help.

Last edited:

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    Well I’m an idiot, tried to take the bolt catch off and instead got the punch I was using stuck and broke… going to give up and take it to a gunsmith to fix my screw up.
    Anyone know of a good gun smith in the Keller area that won’t over charge me for being stupid?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Anyone know of a good gun smith in the Keller area that won’t over charge me for being stupid?
    When I lived in Bedford I used to go to Euless guns n ammo. Seems like they have an alright shop.

You’re a ways away but if you’re passing by Palmer give ss Gunsmithing a try.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm in little elm. Other side of lake Lewisville and grapevine lake from keller but you're welcome to come use my punches to drive your roll pin out. Probably want to take the stock off and use the bench to hammer against as a vice and mag block are a little lose for that. I dont use them when assembling an AR lower.

You can also compare to another AR.

What brand lower and parts. I've got out of spec lower roll pins and trigger guard recently.

Edited to keep some of you filthy bastards from posting in the OOC thread. Lol

Last edited:

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Have you experienced this problem with multiple flavors of ammo, or only one? It's possible that your ammo isn't generating enough gas pressure to drive the bolt all the way to the rear, so that the mag follower can activate the bolt hold open. This can also be caused by a too-heavy buffer, although that's unlikely with a factory setup.

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    I'm in little elm. Other side of lake Lewisville and grapevine lake from keller but you're welcome to come use my punches to drive your roll pin out. Probably want to take the stock off and use the bench to hammer against as a vice and mag block are a little lose for that. I dont use them when assembling an AR lower.

You can also compare to another AR.

What brand lower and parts. I've got out of spec lower roll pins and trigger guard recently.

Edited to keep some of you filthy bastards from posting in the OOC thread. Lol
    I appreciate the offer but I think I got it so jacked up now I’d only make it worse…
    It’s a bravo company lower parts kit, palmetto state blem lower, and Fulton armory a1 stock/buffer.

I actually have not shot it yet, I found the issue when I was manually working the charging handle and realized the bolt was catching on the magazine follower, not the bolt catch

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I actually have not shot it yet, I found the issue when I was manually working the charging handle and realized the bolt was catching on the magazine follower, not the bolt catch

the bolt shouldn’t be anywhere near your magazine follower

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    Well I took it to a gunsmith and they fixed it for a grand total of $3.75.. they got the punch out, cut away a bit of the pin and were able to get it punched out. When the reassembled it worked as intended. Highly recommend Elliot White gun co in North Richland Hills, nice people, didn’t make fun of me too bad, and fixed it right away when I came in.

Top Bottom