• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I mostly agree with you, but I can appreciate people wanting to fine tune a "race" gun. If all you want is a reliable shooter, it's probably better to have it slightly over gassed so that it'll cycle anything reliably.

I haven't found any reliability issues with having a tuned gas system. None of my guns are "race guns". I put 1,100 rounds through my 10.5" SBR in a single day with out a single malfunction from the gun. I had two PMAGS shit the bed and get pulled out of service but the gun didn't miss a beat. The correct gas setting is still slightly over-gased, but it's FAR less over-gased than most factory guns.
    Guns International

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Some of y'all have too much of a hang-up on gassing, IMO. Define "over-gassed" for me. If a gun will run with less pressure, does that mean it is truly over-gassed? If that's your only definition, then that's just ridiculous. Go ahead, fine tune your "Ferrari" (probably a fricking polished turd Oly Arms with an adjustable GB) to the absolute minimum pressure, then subject your weapon to a little dust and dirt and then tell me how it ran.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I'm interested in a tunable gas block for a few reasons.

1. Wear.
    2. Fun and follow up shots.
    3. Suppressors.

If its not your thing than you don't have to post to the gun smithing thread on tuning a gas system. This thread is for gaining and sharing information and knowledge. It's not for opinions or blasting how people spend their money.

In full honesty I started this thread to find out more about Aaron's builds. He posted about how his ejected cases leave in a predictable pattern. Mine blast everywhere and leave nice brass deposits all over my deflector. I found this interesting. I'm also planning on running a suppressor starting next year. Adjustable gas blocks keep carbon out of your face among other benefits. I own 2 adjustable gas piston systems and they're interesting but I prefer di because they're more fun.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If its not your thing than you don't have to post to the gun smithing thread on tuning a gas system. This thread is for gaining and sharing information and knowledge. It's not for opinions or blasting how people spend their money.

You know, with your "don't post in my thread if it's not strictly on-topic" attitude, you're starting to sound more and more like Whisky. If I remember right, you started this thread because were bastardizing a picture thread, and were asked to step out.

Anyway, what I posted was relevant, with a legitimate question, interspersed with personal opinion. Get over it.

ETA: And, the two members I was directing my post at know who they are, and know me well enough to not take offense.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    You know, with your "don't post in my thread if it's not strictly on-topic" attitude, you're starting to sound more and more like Whisky. If I remember right, you started this thread because were bastardizing a picture thread, and were asked to step out.

Anyway, what I posted was relevant, with a legitimate question, interspersed with personal opinion. Get over it.

ETA: And, the two members I was directing my post at know who they are, and know me well enough to not take offense.
    And I stepped out.

Your post is irrelevant. Start your own adjustments are dumb thread.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood

Man, I believe if it messes with my gas rings too much, there is more recoil than I believe there should be, or if I'm getting more blow back than normal when suppressed, that is over gassed to me. And nope, not offended at all. (Assuming I am one of those members)

sent from jennifer lawrence's bedroom

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Man, I believe if it messes with my gas rings too much, there is more recoil than I believe there should be, or if I'm getting more blow back than normal when suppressed, that is over gassed to me. And nope, not offended at all. (Assuming I am one of those members)

Ok, thanks Jared, I get what you are saying.

And yes, you assumed correctly. LOL

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    The cyclic ROF on mine is too high for my liking. The only ways to slow it down are: get a buffer heavier than a H3, use a stronger buffer spring, or mess with the gas port/block.

Since my upper has a pinned FSB, the buffer and spring would be easier to change. Tempted to try some stuff but probably should not dick with it and just be happy it's running again.

Last edited:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    The cyclic ROF on mine is too high for my liking. The only ways to slow it down are: get a buffer heavier than a H3, use a stronger buffer spring, or mess with the gas port/block.

Since my upper has a pinned FSB, the buffer and spring would be easier to change. Tempted to try some stuff but probably should not dick with it and just be happy it's running again.

This

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Some people are fine with their Honda civics. They run great, and last a long time. Some people like their Ferrari's better. More fine-tuned, little more effort to do so, but in the end, very worth it. That's how I am with my AR's. I spend extra time tuning them, and its so worth it. You are welcome to try mine next to yours.

sent from jennifer lawrence's bedroom

I do not believe this to be a proper comparison. An AR is neither a Honda Civic, nor a Ferrari.

Putting thousands into a Honda Civic can make it perform better, true. It will NEVER be a Ferrari. Perhaps the more appropriate comparison would be Camaro/Corvette. You can make the Camaro come close to the Corvette, even surpass the factory equipped stock Corvette.

If chroming and fine tuning your Camaro is something you choose to do, more power to you (pun intended). If you pump up the output of your Camaro to be "Track Ready" and race from red light to red light, I feel the money was not well spent.

As an Armorer on the Colt M-16/AR-15 platform (factory trained) and full time LEO, I will recommend a small handful of "improvements" to an AR;
    Enhanced extractor spring (the factory spring on most is not sufficient)
    Good mag springs/followers (in GI mag bodies).
    A sling that suits your needs.
    1000 rounds down range.

Too many people spend a grand on "improvements" before loosing the first round. Akin to taking your brand new Camaro and adding 20" wheels, Cold Air Induction, racing shocks/struts, 1000 watt stereo, carbon fiber hood, slotted brake rotors, powder coated calipers, high flow cats/mufflers, turbo charger, and chrome valve covers before it has 1000 miles on it.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    This might be related-
    I sent 50rds down range yesterday with my new AR pistol. I had the same failure 3 times. Failure to eject with the cartridge stuck into the chamber (Winchester white box and PMC) and the bolt fed a new round and jammed it into the casing that was partially pulled out of the chamber.

I was using a g2 pmag, standard carbine buffer.

I feel like I should upgrade my extractor and springs. I almost want to change the buffer to a slightly heavier buffer. It may be a gas problem, but it's a 270$ complete upper so I'm not interested in upgrading the gas block.

edit- this is a 11.5" barrel. It has 60rds total through it.

Edit 2- is it just breaking in? The last box of independence ammo fed all 20 rds with no failures.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    This might be related-
    I sent 50rds down range yesterday with my new AR pistol. I had the same failure 3 times. Failure to eject with the cartridge stuck into the chamber (Winchester white box and PMC) and the bolt fed a new round and jammed it into the casing that was partially pulled out of the chamber.

I was using a g2 pmag, standard carbine buffer.

I feel like I should upgrade my extractor and springs. I almost want to change the buffer to a slightly heavier buffer. It may be a gas problem, but it's a 270$ complete upper so I'm not interested in upgrading the gas block.

edit- this is a 11.5" barrel. It has 60rds total through it.

Edit 2- is it just breaking in? The last box of independence ammo fed all 20 rds with no failures.
    Bump for help

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I would clean the bcg. Did you inspect the brass that was ejected? Also check the alignment of the gas tube/gas block.

Top Bottom