• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    If you plan to swim, you're going to get wet. If you're going to fight, plan to get hit.

How heavy is your carrier plate setup? I think last time I weighed mine, it was easily in the 25-30 pound range with plates, trauma pads, loaded magazines, etc.

Plus do you have plate setups for your wife, and or other family members you would be traveling with?
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    How heavy is your carrier plate setup? I think last time I weighed mine, it was easily in the 25-30 pound range with plates, trauma pads, loaded magazines, etc.

Plus do you have plate setups for your wife, and or other family members you would be traveling with?
    I don't have anything set up for my son. I have thought about pistol rated backpacks but this day and age that might just be money down the drain. I never weighed em. Most of the gun shows have local guys selling plates, and good ones for fragments. Oh wait I have three vest. One pistol only, one pistol and rifle, and one just rifle but that's the condor and doesn't rap the body like the others. The others are better for concealment under clothing or a coat. I have a fourth that's a condor load vest with the plate pocket in the back. That one is more of my wilderness survival set up. I think we have a thread for gear already but tag me in it so I remember to share pics.

Thing is I have never been sure If I'd go right away in a shift scenario...I mean, you have to figure the roads will be packed and dangerous and with Texas being mostly private property, traveling by foot can be just as dangerous or more if people put up traps. It's a savage world...Sometimes...Staying still and letting others react, is the way.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Nice. I like the gloves suggestions. I have a pair in my range bag, but I admit, it's not something I take with me on long trips. Maybe I should though.

Body armor is another one I'm on the fence on. It's heavy, and hot, but I suppose it would save your life in a pinch. I just don't foresee myself getting into a prolonged fire fight escaping out of a city. The gun is there as a last resort, but I don't see myself being a participant in Civil War 2 anytime soon.
    Not bugging out rather expecting a few refugee inbound. My location if the SHTF would very quickly be a limited excess community. Enough wildlife & fish to stay fed. Yardbird production could shift for various needs. Lots of gardens to help feed folks & barter with. I could see armed convoys going into the small towns if need be.

I still remember the cluster phuc of sheeple trying to evacuate from Houston and parts south. One guy from work got stuck in the middle of who cares. Basically killed his dog when they sat in traffic with no water. Destroyed the dogs kidneys.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Plus...Adding a wood stove to your place if you end up staying and everyone else goes can be great. You have all those homes to break down for fuel.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    But for all I know, it won't work out at all...And all we will have is this:

3ae861de89507f034dbc63db28e5edd0.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …That being said I'm not going to hang out with random unknown dudes off the internet either...

And that’s part of why your balls get busted.

If I don’t personally know most of the active posters here, I’m within 1* of separation from someone that does. That’s not unusual for any of the active members, either.

This place is special because there’s a high degree of FTF/IRL contact among the members, with range days and our reunions facilitating those events.

ETA: your PII sensitivity is cute. There’s more than a few here with active TS/SCI w/lifestyle poly clearances. I’m subject to OCC sensitive position scrutiny. Real, random drug screening programs where a positive marijuana pop loses you your job is a common condition of employment.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Yooo Darkpriest! I love Texas. The amount of handguns that are accessible to me now, also being able to get a true Form 1 gun, I am in love.

I've thought about the truck gun concept, but I always think, "Man if I get into an accident and can't retrieve my firearm, is the tow truck guy going to steal my gun?" :laughing: But it's a concept I've pondered, and thought about.

As for a central texas range day, I don't know man, some of these guys are out to get me now. :laughing:
    I don't like the idea of truck guns in urban areas. I usually carry a pdw or sbr tucked away in a backpack with all my necessities like 1st aid, snacks, water etc. That way I don't have to ever leave it alone. Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Nice. I like the gloves suggestions. I have a pair in my range bag, but I admit, it's not something I take with me on long trips. Maybe I should though.

Body armor is another one I'm on the fence on. It's heavy, and hot, but I suppose it would save your life in a pinch. I just don't foresee myself getting into a prolonged fire fight escaping out of a city. The gun is there as a last resort, but I don't see myself being a participant in Civil War 2 anytime soon.
    Check out the ar500 minimalist setup. It's not big and bulky.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    12.5 is a fun range toy and can be an effective fighting weapon given the right circumstances and ammunition choice. Guys have been using them shorter than that for years overseas. Of course they are probably running Mk262 or M855A1. Some of those engagements would have been several hundreds yards. Marines trained with 14.5” at 500yds with M855 for many years.

Know your weapon, and train with your weapon, whichever one that is.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Not bugging out rather expecting a few refugee inbound. My location if the SHTF would very quickly be a limited excess community. Enough wildlife & fish to stay fed. Yardbird production could shift for various needs. Lots of gardens to help feed folks & barter with. I could see armed convoys going into the small towns if need be.

I still remember the cluster phuc of sheeple trying to evacuate from Houston and parts south. One guy from work got stuck in the middle of who cares. Basically killed his dog when they sat in traffic with no water. Destroyed the dogs kidneys.
    You have a natural water source, and food, that’s probably worth more than any gun if SHTF.

I have about 3-4 weeks of dried food stored and about 1 week of water. I should definitely improve that at some point.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    And that’s part of why your balls get busted.

If I don’t personally know most of the active posters here, I’m within 1* of separation from someone that does. That’s not unusual for any of the active members, either.

This place is special because there’s a high degree of FTF/IRL contact among the members, with range days and our reunions facilitating those events.

ETA: your PII sensitivity is cute. There’s more than a few here with active TS/SCI w/lifestyle poly clearances. I’m subject to OCC sensitive position scrutiny. Real, random drug screening programs where a positive marijuana pop loses you your job is a common condition of employment.
    Bust balls all you want, as long as I don’t have to deal with you in real life and I can keep you at internet’s length, it’s all gravy baby. I’m glad you guys have a nice boys club going on, if you need that in your life, more power to you.

As for your OCC scrutiny, that’s super nice, I know your job don’t pay as much as mine though. :laughing:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I don't like the idea of truck guns in urban areas. I usually carry a pdw or sbr tucked away in a backpack with all my necessities like 1st aid, snacks, water etc. That way I don't have to ever leave it alone. Sorry if I derailed the thread.

I’d have to think about it really hard, especially an NFA item like an SBR. Don’t you have to ask permission to move that across state lines? (Not that it matters during SHTF)

Also I’m trying to think of a situation where my Glock 15+1 and 1 spare mag, wouldn’t be enough for the situation.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    12.5 is a fun range toy and can be an effective fighting weapon given the right circumstances and ammunition choice. Guys have been using them shorter than that for years overseas. Of course they are probably running Mk262 or M855A1. Some of those engagements would have been several hundreds yards. Marines trained with 14.5” at 500yds with M855 for many years.

Know your weapon, and train with your weapon, whichever one that is.
    Bingo. I think people underestimate the lethality of 5.56 at 300-500 yards. Plenty of dead guys who can attest to it.

Top Bottom