1663021772866.png
    Gun Zone Deals

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    You're new to texas and playing with all the toys. God love you for it. I like it.. I have a 5.56 pistol in my trunk as a car gun. Not planning on shooting more than 100 yards (if that) ever, but I get it. Cool dude. Looks cool bet its fun~!

Also not this weekend or next but sometime soon you need to come shooting with me and some of hte other centex folks.
    Yooo Darkpriest! I love Texas. The amount of handguns that are accessible to me now, also being able to get a true Form 1 gun, I am in love.

I've thought about the truck gun concept, but I always think, "Man if I get into an accident and can't retrieve my firearm, is the tow truck guy going to steal my gun?" :laughing: But it's a concept I've pondered, and thought about.

As for a central texas range day, I don't know man, some of these guys are out to get me now. :laughing:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Sam the man. What's going on my friend? How's the truck, and the grip zone treating you? :laughing:

Here's the deal, I have hit a a 24 inch steel plate at 500 yards 7 out of 10 times with a 10.5" barrel using a 3x magnifier and red dot setup.

I'd have ZERO problem hitting the same plate at 600 yards with a 12.5" criterion barrel and 1x-6x LPVO (given normal wind conditions). No doubt in my mind.

I'm not bragging that I'm some crack shot sniper, but I do consider myself a good competent shooter who knows the effects of wind, ballistics, I've read all of the Bryan Litz books, and have attended multiple carbine and marksmen courses, most of the time utilizing the AR platform which is my favorite rifle platform by far. I believe I'm an above average shooter (again, not bragging, but just based on my own personal results).

I have a friend who I've attended these courses with and he has a Noveske Infidel 5.56 NATO build (12.5" barrel), and has recorded shots of him hitting at 750 yards, and 800+ using that gun. They are on his Youtube channel, let me know if you want to see them, and I'll DM you.

I think you'd be surprised at how far 5.56 can reach out in the hands of a capable shooter.
    If you can make it work, do it. Ultimately you load out with what you want. I just share an opinion it's not the best tool. But a lot of these thought experiments depend on will you be alone or with a group?

Lately I have been going back to building load outs based around a bolt action. I think a guy should have a load out built around an ar, an ak, and a bolt action. Or just an ar and bolt action.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you live in the city don't do a truck gun. Even with the crime out where I'm at, it's only doable because it's kind of like the old west here...Lots of LE want to only get involved if they have to and generally just tell you to take care of business. Why, even though crime is still here, that people think twice.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    If you can make it work, do it. Ultimately you load out with what you want. I just share an opinion it's not the best tool. But a lot of these thought experiments depend on will you be alone or with a group?

Lately I have been going back to building load outs based around a bolt action. I think a guy should have a load out built around an ar, an ak, and a bolt action. Or just an ar and bolt action.

I like bolt guns, and I have a built out Sako TRG 22 .308 that I bought years ago, it shoots like a laser. It has an adjustable 2-5 pound trigger, it's literally the most accurate gun I own. But it's a one trick pony, and weighs around 12 pounds. In a set position with good sight lines, very very good. In a situation where civil unrest is endangering my family, and I may have to leave to safer areas, driving my SUV, or truck, I don't think a great option at all.

I think ARs are the best "do everything" guns you can buy (sorry AK fanboys). That's why I love the platform.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Yooo Darkpriest! I love Texas. The amount of handguns that are accessible to me now, also being able to get a true Form 1 gun, I am in love.

I've thought about the truck gun concept, but I always think, "Man if I get into an accident and can't retrieve my firearm, is the tow truck guy going to steal my gun?" :laughing: But it's a concept I've pondered, and thought about.

As for a central texas range day, I don't know man, some of these guys are out to get me now. :laughing:

Thats a PSA the holosun on it is more expensive than the gun was ;-) I always factor in price of stolen before putting it in the car.

they aren't out to get you. They are breaking you in LOL

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I like bolt guns, and I have a built out Sako TRG 22 .308 that I bought years ago, it shoots like a laser. It has an adjustable 2-5 pound trigger, it's literally the most accurate gun I own. But it's a one trick pony, and weighs around 12 pounds. In a set position with good sight lines, very very good. In a situation where civil unrest is endangering my family, and I may have to leave to safer areas, driving my SUV, or truck, I don't think a great option at all.

I think ARs are the best "do everything" guns you can buy (sorry AK fanboys). That's why I love the platform.
    The ak load out is prob. the most unrealistic set up. One a still have though. What gear will you have with this set up?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Nice guns, no doubt................

I'm thinking a lot of current AR style pistols will be actually classified as an SBR if amnesty is applied for.......

A rifle scope on pistols may be a count against it..............red dots probably not..........

Personally, I'm not buying or building anything else with a brace till things shake out a little more....

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    The ak load out is prob. the most unrealistic set up. One a still have though. What gear will you have with this set up?

In my mind, the way it plays out is BLM/AnQueefa is torching the city and surrounding neighborhoods. Maybe the national guard gets called (definitely does if Abbot is governor). There may be 2-way ranges being established throughout the area, so basically I gotta get out of dodge. Probably head west to my brother's compound in Arizona if I needed to. Alternatively I could head to Arkansas where I also have relatives.

Basically pick up my go-bag which contains Gun/Ammo, good light, med kit, dry food, water, 2 way radio (know your local frequencies), multi-tool. My primary gun would be an AR, probably short (10.5" or 12.5"). Take the 4WD pickup and go. That's literally it. Would pretty much cover over 95% of normal scenarios in urban or rural areas.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    No one is out to get you nor harbor any ill will. We just call it as we see it.

Yeah, I call it as I see it as well. No ill will from me. That being said I'm not going to hang out with random unknown dudes off the internet either unless I'm sure they aren't weirdos (and some of the guys here, I definitely wouldn't hang out with under any circumstances sight unseen). I have way too much to lose monetarily, and otherwise.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

I'm thinking a lot of current AR style pistols will be actually classified as an SBR if amnesty is applied for.......

A rifle scope on pistols may be a count against it..............red dots probably not..........

Personally, I'm not buying or building anything else with a brace till things shake out a little more....

Yeah, I hope Republicans win in November and stop this AFT madness. If not, I guess I'll have to file more eForms.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    In my mind, the way it plays out is BLM/AnQueefa is torching the city and surrounding neighborhoods. Maybe the national guard gets called (definitely does if Abbot is governor). There may be 2-way ranges being established throughout the area, so basically I gotta get out of dodge. Probably head west to my brother's compound in Arizona if I needed to. Alternatively I could head to Arkansas where I also have relatives.

Basically pick up my go-bag which contains Gun/Ammo, good light, med kit, dry food, water, 2 way radio (know your local frequencies), multi-tool. My primary gun would be an AR, probably short (10.5" or 12.5"). That's literally it. Would pretty much cover over 95% of normal scenarios in urban or rural areas.
    Only thing I'd add to not take too much extra space is a filter straw and cord.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Only thing I'd add to not take too much extra space is a filter straw and cord.

Man, you're really thinking break down of society. What's your kit look like?

I actually do have nylon cord, straps, etc in my truck all the time. Just from using it to tie down stuff and wanting to have it handy.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Man, you're really thinking break down of society. What's your kit look like?

I actually do have nylon cord, straps, etc in my truck all the time. Just from using it to tie down stuff and wanting to have it handy.
    I'm a strange fellow for sure but my load outs have changed several times and I got to thinking I can't predict everything...So most of my load outs focus on two scenarios:

being in fire fights with others. Mags, ammo, concealment items, body armor, filter straw, knife, my truck always has an e-tool. An e-tool is very underrated. On a random camping trip by myself, It's all I had to put out a lightning strike. I had a special bond with that NF, and I didn't get cell signal so not putting it out wasn't an option. It was a down tree about nothing under 10 feet long and pretty wide. All on fire. Took me like 3 hours to cut off all oxygen with that e-tool. My trail hawk is also a tool I love.

My other load outs focus less on fighting with others and more about surviving in the wild. So body armor is less, more tools, more water filtration, a bolt action or my Sam7 side folder as it doesn't require the same upkeep as an AR.

I'll have to look at everything I have on all the vest now after rethinking things but my point is have a set up for survival and not so much fighting too. Not staying dry, warm, or blocking the wind can be deadly.

But one thing more people need to add with a load out: working gloves...Look at it like this...If you're not going to fight all the time to survive...Load like a forest firefighter in a way.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

I only went braces on barrel for the M16 that are short. Only built the lowers out of boredom when I quit working.

Look out into the backyard of what would be another ACOG, but instead is another tree that needs to come down.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Are you saying you think one of us would rob you?

Nah, not worried about that, I pack a Glock everywhere I go and I got 15+1 ready to rock anytime. I would hope no one is stupid enough to try and rob a guy from a 2A forum in a carry friendly state, not the highest IQ move IMO. :laughing:

I'm talking about the general background of people. I work in a high paying job where I have to maintain a very clean record because I'm dealing with PII and other sensitive information of private individuals. I also work part-time as an assistant basketball coach at a local high school. If one of the guys from here (or any internet forum) ended up being a criminal (say someone who commits financial fraud), or even worse a pedo, it could jeopardize my career and reputation. I've seen it happen before.

So I'm very careful with who I associate with, and to be honest, I have enough friends. I have friends all over the country, one of them flew in last week just to visit me and spend time in Austin enjoying great Texas BBQ. I don't need to expand my social circle. I'm at an age right now where I am working to maintain the great lifestyle my family enjoys, prep myself for retirement in say 10-15 years, and then live a happy life as an old man without any responsibilities besides posting on gun forums. If I make some friends along the way who are cool, that's cool, but it's not something I need at this age any longer. I'm pretty set in life.

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I'm a strange fellow for sure but my load outs have changed several times and I got to thinking I can't predict everything...So most of my load outs focus on two scenarios:

being in fire fights with others. Mags, ammo, concealment items, body armor, filter straw, knife, my truck always has an e-tool. An e-tool is very underrated. On a random camping trip by myself, It's all I had to put out a lightning strike. I had a special bond with that NF, and I didn't get cell signal so not putting it out wasn't an option. It was a down tree about nothing under 10 feet long and pretty wide. All on fire. Took me like 3 hours to cut off all oxygen with that e-tool. My trail hawk is also a tool I love.

My other load outs focus less on fighting with others and more about surviving in the wild. So body armor is less, more tools, more water filtration, a bolt action or my Sam7 side folder as it doesn't require the same upkeep as an AR.

I'll have to look at everything I have on all the vest now after rethinking things but my point is have a set up for survival and not so much fighting too. Not staying dry, warm, or blocking the wind can be deadly.

But one thing more people need to add with a load out: working gloves...Look at it like this...If you're not going to fight all the time to survive...Load like a forest firefighter in a way.

Nice. I like the gloves suggestions. I have a pair in my range bag, but I admit, it's not something I take with me on long trips. Maybe I should though.

Body armor is another one I'm on the fence on. It's heavy, and hot, but I suppose it would save your life in a pinch. I just don't foresee myself getting into a prolonged fire fight escaping out of a city. The gun is there as a last resort, but I don't see myself being a participant in Civil War 2 anytime soon.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Nice. I like the gloves suggestions. I have a pair in my range bag, but I admit, it's not something I take with me on long trips. Maybe I should though.

Body armor is another one I'm on the fence on. It's heavy, and hot, but I suppose it would save your life in a pinch. I just don't foresee myself getting into a prolonged fire fight escaping out of a city. The gun is there as a last resort, but I don't see myself being a participant in Civil War 2 anytime soon.
    If you plan to swim, you're going to get wet. If you're going to fight, plan to get hit.

Top Bottom