• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Sure sport. In Texas deadly force is defined as force that can cause death, or serious bodily injury.
    You may use deadly force in self defense to protect yourself from another’s use or attempted use of deadly force.
    A taser has the potential to cause serious bodily injury. He was shot immediately after firing the taser at the officer chasing him. Had the prongs connected, the officer would have gone face first into the pavement and more likely than not, sustained a serious bodily injury, or possibly death.
    I am somewhat surprised the instructor for your LTC did not cover this. Or maybe you were surfing Facebook during the Use of Force section of your class

If any of those officers go to jail, it will be because of politics, not the law.
    Police tell us repeatedly that a taser is safe and they use it all the time. Sport, a guy fleeing the scene with a taser even if he fired it from that distance did not call for lethal force. Did the cop suffer serious bodily injury? No. This will be decided by a jury but those cops. in my opinion, will be going to jail and they better hope that 12 sports like you are on the jury. Like I said, if this were you or me shooting a fleeing bad guy we would already be in jail.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Police tell us repeatedly that a taser is safe and they use it all the time. Sport, a guy fleeing the scene with a taser even if he fired it from that distance did not call for lethal force. Did the cop suffer serious bodily injury? No. This will be decided by a jury but those cops. in my opinion, will be going to jail and they better hope that 12 sports like you are on the jury. Like I said, if this were you or me shooting a fleeing bad guy we would already be in jail.
    Please quit carrying. I explained it ( even using small , easy to understand words) but you obviously have something going on upstairs that does not allow you to clearly make good judgements.

A shame your LTC instructor did not recognize this when they had you in class, they could have flagged your apparent lack of ability to make sound decisions to DPS and at least delayed( if not stopped altogether ) your issuance of a LTC.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Rotor, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, or sarcastic when I ask you this, but have you ever been lit up by a Taser or a less than lethal stun gun? I have. Trust me, they do incapacitate the person to the point that they are incapable of defending themselves. That's not factoring in if the person has an underlying health issue that they could aggravate, and cause very serious injury, or even death.

So IF the officer had been Tased with his own weapon, one could assume that the suspect could have relieved that officer of his gun, nad used it against him. On that alone, I can assume that there was probably "in fear for his life" on the part of the officer and justify his actions in that situation.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Please quit carrying. I explained it ( even using small , easy to understand words) but you obviously have something going on upstairs that does not allow you to clearly make good judgements.

A shame your LTC instructor did not recognize this when they had you in class, they could have flagged your apparent lack of ability to make sound decisions to DPS and at least delayed( if not stopped altogether ) your issuance of a LTC.
    You know, you don't have to be such a jerk especially since you are wrong. I haven't mentioned your intelligence so don't mention mine. I will come back to apologize to you if things go the way you predict and you can do the same if you are man enough. If you believe taser use is the cause of serious bodily injury than our cops need to abandon them. This was a bad shoot. That guy should be in jail alive right now, not in the morgue.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Rotor, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, or sarcastic when I ask you this, but have you ever been lit up by a Taser or a less than lethal stun gun? I have. Trust me, they do incapacitate the person to the point that they are incapable of defending themselves. That's not factoring in if the person has an underlying health issue that they could aggravate, and cause very serious injury, or even death.

So IF the officer had been Tased with his own weapon, one could assume that the suspect could have relieved that officer of his gun, nad used it against him. On that alone, I can assume that there was probably "in fear for his life" on the part of the officer and justify his actions in that situation.
    The officer was not tased with his own weapon, there was another armed officer there too, and the cops routinely tell us that Tasers are an alternative to lethal force. I know people have died with Tasers. This cop was not alone, had he been tased and the bad guy come back to get a gun then blast him. But that's not what happened, no cops were tased. a fleeing bad guy with a non-lethal weapon (so the cops tell us), was running away and he was shot 3 times and died. Let's see how this plays out in the legal system but I would not want to be one of the two cops in Atlanta. I have never been tasered either. But let's take a hypothetical, if a cop was about to taser you thinking (by mistake) that you were a bad guy, would you have the right to pull your concealed handgun and shoot him? Your defense, avoid severe bodily injury? Cops Taser people all the time. People have died after pepper spray. Lots of non lethal police devices have the potential to be lethal.
    I am done with further discussion on this unless anyone wants to put money up on an outcome.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You know, you don't have to be such a jerk especially since you are wrong. I haven't mentioned your intelligence so don't mention mine. I will come back to apologize to you if things go the way you predict and you can do the same if you are man enough. If you believe taser use is the cause of serious bodily injury than our cops need to abandon them. This was a bad shoot. That guy should be in jail alive right now, not in the morgue.
    Well, I have not said anything about your intelligence. Just your ability to make sound decisions. You are making the statement as to your intelligence all on your own.
    I have not “predicted “ any outcome, simply made a statement of opinion.
    You asked for a definition of when deadly force could be used in Texas and I gave it to you in simple, laymen’s terms. Then you go off on how your feelz are buggered about tasers.
    So, from your above post, I gather that you do not want LE armed at all.
    Are you an antifa supporter by chance? Your ramblings seem to point in that direction.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The officer was not tased with his own weapon, there was another armed officer there too, and the cops routinely tell us that Tasers are an alternative to lethal force. I know people have died with Tasers. This cop was not alone, had he been tased and the bad guy come back to get a gun then blast him. But that's not what happened, no cops were tased. a fleeing bad guy with a non-lethal weapon (so the cops tell us), was running away and he was shot 3 times and died. Let's see how this plays out in the legal system but I would not want to be one of the two cops in Atlanta. I have never been tasered either. But let's take a hypothetical, if a cop was about to taser you thinking (by mistake) that you were a bad guy, would you have the right to pull your concealed handgun and shoot him? Your defense, avoid severe bodily injury? Cops Taser people all the time. People have died after pepper spray. Lots of non lethal police devices have the potential to be lethal.
    I am done with further discussion on this unless anyone wants to put money up on an outcome.
    Run away child. Let the grown ups discuss this rationally.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The one thing that bothers me about this LE use of force (and others) is that everyone wants to blame LE for starting the problem, forgetting that someone called 9/11 specifically for LE intervention and are surprised the resolution went pear-shaped.

Don’t want LE to use force? Don’t call them to respond to your problem.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The one thing that bothers me about this LE use of force (and others) is that everyone wants to blame LE for starting the problem, forgetting that someone called 9/11 specifically for LE intervention and are surprised the resolution went pear-shaped.

Don’t won’t LE to use force? Don’t call them to respond to your problem.

An excellent point.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    Don’t call them to respond to your problem.

All of the Defund Police crowd can call ANTIFA or their Mom!

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas

From the other side of this presumed scenario (we weren't there, don't/can't know all that happened), what's the recommended course of action? Someone fights violently with police, gains possession of one of their weapons (a taser, could as easily been a firearm) and flees. Your opinion is to let this violent and desperate person (demonstrated by fighting with and seizing a weapon from police which he attempted to use while fleeing) escape into an area populated by innocent bystanders. Just let him go?

We can't possibly predict what he might have done next; taken a hostage, stolen a car, secured another weapon, run over a child, caused a fatal accident?

I think in most every case we'd hope no one is killed or injured but I don't think we can assume he posed no risk and allow him to escape.

Was deadly force justified? I have no idea and we won't until all the facts are in, maybe not even then but I do know in evaluating lowest potential impact I would not have chosen to let him escape.

I think in 20-20 hindsight from the comfort of our couches its easy to convince ourselves we know what happened and what we would have done. I also believe maybe we delude ourselves somewhat as to our abilities as well as projecting our perception of circumstance.

Prayers to his and the officers families as well as those affected by the unjustifiable actions (burning, valdalism and looting) resulting from this unfortunate occurrence.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When the suspect whirled back and pointed something at the officer, how did the officer know for sure it was a taser and not a gun the suspect had concealed? Please answer this question directly. No dancing around. Please answer this specific question.

There had been a violent struggle. Suspect does not just flee, suspect turns and points something at the officer following that violent struggle.

If the officer assumes it is the taser, the officer could pay with his life if he is wrong.

Sorry, but backing the officer 100% on this one.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    I know very little about these tasers.
    Are they 1 shot only without recharge/reload? Once it's fired, is it basically useless until reloaded?
    I think that some of them may be multi shots.

Most guys who are trained are told to look at the hands. Real easy to pull the trigger on something that isn't a weapon especially, in low light conditions, or during an adrenalin rush. Try it with a set of NODs.

Not justifying the shooting just saying.

Last edited:

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Yes I have an LTC and perhaps you could enlighten me on when deadly force can be used in Texas. A fleeing bad guy with no lethal weapon is not grounds for lethal force unless he has stolen irretrievable property. These cops are going to jail.
    They are cops who were trying to effect an arrest.......not some Joe Blow with an LTC.....totally different.

Top Bottom