• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattler60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    I work nationwide and pull a large 5th wheel. In 2000 I bought a f350 7.3 diesel. Almost 500k miles on it now and I'll pull cross country without a second thought. At 40k I did put a full Banks kit on it. I've thought about a new truck until I looked at the new window sticker prices. If I ever get another it will be a used low mileage 7.3. I've made one pull from Key West to Bellingham Wa. No piddly towing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Rattler60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Spent last winter in Wisconsin in below -30 temperatures when you get ready to winter up north give me a shout and I'll help you out.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I grew up loving GM's...now, not so much. I love my Blazer, but I probably won't ever find myself in another GM again. The build quality just isn't there. I also grew up anti-ford, but I gotta give it to them - their 250's on up are decent lately. If Toyota didn't have it's latest version Tundra, I might go that route for a work truck.
    Toyota soon available with a Cummins

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I work nationwide and pull a large 5th wheel. In 2000 I bought a f350 7.3 diesel. Almost 500k miles on it now and I'll pull cross country without a second thought. At 40k I did put a full Banks kit on it. I've thought about a new truck until I looked at the new window sticker prices. If I ever get another it will be a used low mileage 7.3. I've made one pull from Key West to Bellingham Wa. No piddly towing.

I hear those aren't easy to find though...

Will definitely drop you a line if we get up north! I miss the cold and the snow so I want to head north eventually!

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I've had a Ford with the 6.0 and it pulled anything I needed to move including 10k pounds of tractor for 190,000 miles. At 190k the oil cooler went out plus 2 injectors so I traded it on a 2014 with the 6.7 and it does the job even easier. It has 70k on it now with average mpg of 16.9 and add def about every 7k miles.

Sent from somewhere.
    That's what I'm thinking, buy something a couple years old as buying brand new seems pointless (depreciation, high sticker, etc.)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A big 5th wheel, is still under 400 sq ft. No room for working on anything.
    My first apartment was less than 400sqft :laughing:

Toyota soon available with a Cummins
    Yeah, but it's still going to be a 1/2 ton. If you actually need a 3/4 or 1 ton then a beefed up 1/2 ton won't cut it. Luckily I don't actually need anything larger than a 1/2 ton ;)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I hear those aren't easy to find though...

Will definitely drop you a line if we get up north! I miss the cold and the snow so I want to head north eventually!

Not that hard. I found one just last year.

2001 F350 Crewcab longbed, 7.3l, FX4 and <200K miles. Pretty clean too.

Just gotta keep your head on a swivel and dont hesitate.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are they that much better than the 6.7s?
    The 7.3l is a tank. You can soup it up and never have problems with them. The transmission does fine if you don't mess with the engine. It can't handle the huge HP/ torque some guys go for though.

They are loud too. You won't order from a drive thru with it running.

The new low sulphur diesel hurt their mileage.

The new 6.7l has the 7.3l beat in every catagory except long term reliability. They are too new (5 years now) but many drivers have put many miles on them. Better HP, torque, and mileage in stock form. 100k mile warranty on them from the factory.

Good low mileage 7.3s are few and far between. Their prices reflect it too. If you can find a deal jump on it. It will run forever. But you will get passed by every new diesel on the road.

In terms of ride the 7.3l trucks ride like trucks. Remember the interior is atleast 12 year old technology. The newer trucks ride and feel like big Cadillacs.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Shit, the new trucks feel like some liberal cried to his momma because his vagina hurt too much riding in a REAL truck, lol

My 01' 7.3 rides like a truck should!

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I'll take the Cadillac ride of my F150 over a 15-year-old F250 any day. Those trucks only ride good with a load in the bed or on the bumper.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shit, the new trucks feel like some liberal cried to his momma because his vagina hurt too much riding in a REAL truck, lol

My 01' 7.3 rides like a truck should!
    I agree. I want a truck to feel like a truck too.

The new ones need air bags if you are going to do any real hauling. If not they squat real bad.

Top Bottom