• ...and so much more!
  • Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    It's hit and miss. It comes down to the dealer more than the brand, in my experience. But the Ford will be in the shop the most often... lolz

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    8515bbcabccda8a35426200a0a6b1833.jpg

Are you set on a 1-ton? How big of a 5th wheel are you pulling? My 3/4ton pulls my 36ft just fine. Gets 12.3mpg at 75mph also.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Short of a triple axle toy hauler, a 3/4ton will pull anything you need it to. Travel trailers are getting lighter and lighter every year.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Because we arent sure what weight the trailer will be and I don't want to be limited by the truck!
    Well that's what I'm getting at. It's never a bad idea to buy more truck than you need, but why a 5th wheel? A small bumper pull camper would probably serve you just as well. It's not like your house; you don't tend to use all the space unless you're trying to sleep your whole family. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but I thought it was just you that will be living in it, right?

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    If it's just for occasional hauling, I would also consider a 3/4ton gasser. Cheaper to own, cheaper to maintain, arguably more reliable. And the 6.2 from Ford/Chevy and the 6.4 from Dodge are powerhouse gassers and will pull (and stop) a trailer with ease. A dually seems like a waste if you only haul once or twice a year, if even that. Like someone else mentioned, you could even just NOT get a new truck and have someone haul it for you each time. You couldcontract a hot shotter or a friend with a truck. I've done exactly that for friends several times now. Heck, I even rent them my trailers. lol

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well that's what I'm getting at. It's never a bad idea to buy more truck than you need, but why a 5th wheel? A small bumper pull camper would probably serve you just as well. It's not like your house; you don't tend to use all the space unless you're trying to sleep your whole family. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but I thought it was just you that will be living in it, right?

I lived in one full time for 4 years. Shopping for another currently.
    Yes. You want as big as your truck and budget can handle.
    A big 5th wheel, is still under 400 sq ft. No room for working on anything.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Its me and girlfriend and we will be in it full time so we dont want small! 5th wheel offers more living and storage space!

We would be moving around every 3-6 months, and possibly long hauls as well! I wanna see montana, Wyoming, etc. So the truck will be the workhorse!

I'll be making a very nice housing stipend that will go towards making the payments so. I dont want to skimp on the truck since it will be the most important part of the rig!

LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    I've had a Ford with the 6.0 and it pulled anything I needed to move including 10k pounds of tractor for 190,000 miles. At 190k the oil cooler went out plus 2 injectors so I traded it on a 2014 with the 6.7 and it does the job even easier. It has 70k on it now with average mpg of 16.9 and add def about every 7k miles.

Sent from somewhere.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Very true. They took over while Ford was building junk diesels. The tide is starting to turn back though.
    Here's the interesting thing. Dodge rules the hot shot world. While Ford dominates any job site you look at. GM...nowhere to be found

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I grew up loving GM's...now, not so much. I love my Blazer, but I probably won't ever find myself in another GM again. The build quality just isn't there. I also grew up anti-ford, but I gotta give it to them - their 250's on up are decent lately. If Toyota didn't have it's latest version Tundra, I might go that route for a work truck.

Top Bottom