• Status
    Not open for further replies.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My first trip to Alamo Tactical will also be my last. I stood at the counter while employees ignored me for at least 5 minutes before someone asked if I had been helped. The employees outnumbered the customers so it's not like they were very busy. Fortunately, they didn't have a buffer tube so I was on my way. These guys need to understand at a retail location, customer service matters.

The few times I've been there, I would say that happened to us half the time. The sad part is that usually the place isn't that crowded when it happens.

There are just enough other options that such poor customer service doesn't have to be tolerated. In the shops that I listed earlier, you get treated more like family or a long lost friend when you show up; which is what makes me want to spend my hard-earned dollars there!

I don't want or need to be pampered, but I do expect to be acknowledged when I go into a store and being ignored only makes me feel that I am not welcomed.
    Venture Surplus ad

KELEKONA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    +1 for Powderhorn. They were very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable.

Didn't feel welcome at Alamo, very similar to whats been described here.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I've been going to the Powderhorn since the 80's, and have always been treated well. They even refunded my money once on a defective 1911 I bought there.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've never been mistreated at Alamo Tactical. They've always been attentive and even gone as far as to call me when something I've been looking for comes in. I also give a thumbs up to both Don's and Powderhorn. Never been to the new shop in Helotes but if MjrMadMax recommends it, I'd give them a try.

W

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    When I went there, they were pretty friendly. No hassle doing a transfer, either.

I can't speak to their prices or accessories because I don't have any tacticool stuff, nor can I afford any. They have pretty nice kydex holsters though. I'm probably gonna pick one up when I get another semi. Good to know that they're overpriced. I'll look elsewhere when i get around to buying an AR

All this was when I worked in SA last year, so they might have changed by now.

Last edited:

Chris@AlamoTactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Responses From Alamo Tactical Part 1

It is always difficult to reply to threads like this, especially those that have some older posts. Unfortunately, when someone emails a link to this thread to me I have to respond.

OLE COWBOY: When I read a post like the one that initiated this thread (from May 2013) and there are numerous items that simply are not true mixed with some items that COULD be true (but that I cannot imagine happening), mixed with truth. Obviously, I do not know Ole Cowboy so I really do not want to be offensive and do not want to call him dishonest, but the first reflex when I read the original post was "how could that have happened" followed closely by "what a load of crap!" But, the reality is that, if he remembers these events then I certainly do not want to say they just did not happen, but my thoughts concerning his post issues in order are:

"Price: Jaw dropping, its full MSRP ++ (then one of the guys there tells me how slow sales are, nobody buys guns anymore etc...I wanted to say, lower you prices some to be competitive, its not a MSRP ++ market anymore)"

As I read the post I see him say that someone in the store in May of last year said "no one buys guns anymore". If you think back to May of last year (or any time in the previous 6 months) no one could have possibly said that! We were still selling guns as fast as we could get them at that time. Now, this would explain the only time we have had high prices. When we cannot replace your inventory we simply have to raise price in order to stay in business. We did not make any extra money on the post Sandy Hook run on guns. The huge dealers with huge buying power made millions. We just managed not to loose money! The only thing that would explain this statement is if Ole Cowboy decided to post his experience long after it happened.

"Needed a couple of parts asked a guy if he had a Picatinny rail for one of my rifles. He looked at me and asked what a Picatinny was. I said a rail to mount this scope on (had my scope in my hand), he said oh you want a set of scope rings? No I have rings for this scope, just need the rail. He clearly did not know what it was. We find one I can use then I pull out another scope and ask if he has a set of rings for it (I think it was 30mm) he finds some. So I have a P-rail, about 4 in long and the mounting screws along with a set of 30mm scope rings. This stuff is not LaRue or anything but made in China quality, my total bill was about $112 before tax. I gasped at the cost, then he said will I can give 5% if you are military. OK I got hair over $5 bucks off on the bill. The rings were $64.95 as I remember P rail about $50."

We simply do not employ people who do not know what a picatinny rail is. I cannot figure out who this could have been. Most of the sales guys are combat vets. The other male has been in the gun industry for a decade and has too many picatinny railed guns for me to think it could have been him. And, honestly, I don't even remember the last time we had plain picatinny risers in stock, leading me to believe that this must have happened a long time ago. The 5% has gone to 10% more recently. We simply do not stock the cheap items. Many times this is to our financial detriment. The only way we would have even had something like that would be if we had special ordered it for someone and they had not picked it up. We generally get beat up more for not carrying the hobby (nice way of saying airsoft) level stuff.

"It was my first time there and all the stuff was packaged, they don't like you opening them in the store...now I know why there is no return policy, they do not want the junk either..."

We open items in the store constantly! We tell people constantly to bring in their guns so we can fit parts there in the store and make sure it all works for them! Buying a sling? Bring in your rifle so you can try every sling we have right there in the shop! Buying a stock? Throw every one on your gun right there! We encourage that ! The only caveat is that, if it involves gunsmithing then the labor will probably be charged.

WE HAVE NEVER HAD A NO RETURN POLICY!! If anything, we have taken back a lot more stuff than we should in an effort to work with our customers and get them into the exactly right items for their needs!

MajorMadMax: This is the same guy that started a thread after the burglary of our store making the libelous allegation that it was insurance fraud! To be clear, with absolutely nothing to base his statements on, he created a thread that accused me (and anyone else involved) of committing multiple felonies. I have, since that time, had to discuss the thread (and its ridiculousness) with a number of people I have met. When I clearly addressed the issue, and made the video of the break in public, did he man up and retract his previous statements or apologize for his behavior? No, he did not. FYI since that time the FBI stopped by to informed us that they recovered 4 of the stolen guns (in one location) and made numerous arrests. BATF has informed us that they have recovered one of our stolen guns- I do not know the precise circumstances of either recovery. If I have him [MajorMadMax] wrong then I will be the first to acknowledge it, but that is my experience so far.

"Gotta agree, I've gone by there a couple of times (it's on my way home from Bullis) and have never been impressed with the place. Overpriced and horrible customer service.

Next time try the Gun Shack in Helotes, it's not too far away from there and it's a real gun shop!

Or join us at the Premier show on the 22nd of March!"

Obviously not an impartial voice. While I also like a number of other local shops (Powderhorn, Dury's, Gun Shack, Don's, and others), anyone who is friends with the owner of HCBR "...my good friend over at Hill Country Black Rifle" is obviously predisposed to disliking AT. There is some pretty ugly history between the two shops. Generally, that is as much as I ever say about the issue or the other shop.

If we are overpriced then I don't know who we are being compared to. We stock some pretty high end brands (we are one of only 18 ArcTeryx LEAF dealers in the US), but outside of the aforementioned post Sandy Hook time frame we are generally under MSRP on all items (never over MSRP) and on many of our guns we are at or below the price at Academy. If we are being compared to online prices then its apples and oranges. No, we cannot stock in the items and maintain a storefront and employees for the same price as a guy sitting at his computer in his underwear. We currently employ 21 people. It is vastly more complicated than running a tiny shop in a house that only has to pay one employee and the owner. I understand that, in the end, it doesn't matter why- the price is the price, but we are also a young company trying to find its equilibrium. If you find something priced too high, ask us. It might be mis-marked. It might be that we simply got a bad deal on that item.

As for the customer service issue: It is a never ending battle. Balancing staffing with need is always a challenge. I can tell you that sometimes (often really) its simply a perception issue. We think someone is doing fine browsing on their own (not really wanting help) , or it (for whatever reason) seems like they are being helped by someone else and we fail to engage the customer. I use the word "fail" because it is a failure. It is something that I harp on constantly, but it is tough to beat. I apologize for any poor customer service you may have received.

"I don't want or need to be pampered, but I do expect to be acknowledged when I go into a store and being ignored only makes me feel that I am not welcomed."

I completely agree. Not being acknowledged when you come in (and specifically by every employee) is unacceptable. I will be addressing this on Monday morning with the entire staff.

Nailski: I apologize for the bad service you received. I would ask that you not judge us by one bad experience. If you decide to give us another chance then please ask for me. My name is Chris.

Chris@AlamoTactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Responses From Alamo Tactical Part 2

Southpaw: I hear it a bit, but one of the most rewarding things about the business is the high percentage of return and loyal customers that we have. We try very hard to be different from the other stores in town, and we aim to be better, but as we grow that becomes far more difficult. As the chain of command in the store gets longer it is increasingly more difficult to impart the desired corporate culture in each employee. By simple numbers we are bound to have some upset customers, but we sincerely care about each one and try our best to avoid those issues.

"Personally, when I go in any store, I don't need anyone to say anything to me until I initiate contact with them."

This is how the majority of our customers seem to feel, but it is a constant challenge to keep the employees from assuming that everyone feels the same way. Logically, the employees know better, but it is easy to fall into a routine that assumes that every customer is fully self sufficient and will tell us when they want help. Even if everyone was this type of customer, every person who comes through the door should be greeted with a smile and a hello.

Kelekona: I apologize for the fact that you were not made to feel welcome. As with Nailski, I would ask that you not judge us by one bad experience. If you decide to give us another chance then please ask for me.

Franzas: Thanks for coming by and I am glad you had a good experience. We are constantly striving to improve our Kydex holster line. We have recently brought on someone to help with this further. I stand by what I said previously about the pricing. We are generally better priced on rifles than most. In fact, we regularly hear from people that we are lower than they paid at the local gun show. Obviously, this is not always the case, there are still deals at the gun shows, but we try to be competitive. We do carry some high end brands and we also order the other brands with some options that others do not. For instance some manufacturers offer the same model rifle with and witout a chrome lined barrel so you have to make sure you are comparing like items before you buy. When you decide to buy an AR just make sure you do your research before spending your money. I would urge you to come in and talk to us and also visit two or three other stores before you make a purchase. As questions. Play with rifles. Be suspicous of any place that pushes too hard.

Again, it is difficult to address older posts and my intent is not to offend anyone here. We are far from perfect at AT and we are aware of that fact. Yes, it is not the same to get people working for a paycheck to treat customers in the same maner as I did when I was at the counter every day, but our employees do genuinely care about the business and all of our customers. We have been blessed with some great people as sales staff, but they are still people. As such they have their good days and their bad just as we all do. If you have an issue at AT the please let one of the managers know. Ask to talk to the owner. We want to know if you see something we can do better. If you have previously had a bad experience then I ask you to give us a second chance. I know that I have had moments that I would not want to be judged on so I try to give all businesses and people a second chance and ask that you do the same with us.

Thanks for your time,
    Chris

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Thanks for the response Chris. I had to go back and reread my comments about stores in SA being overpriced and I have to say, don't take that personally, I am just cheap!! :green:

As far as I'm concerned you guys have always done good by me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'd be far more impressed if you were on here to actually contribute to the forum, not just defend your business...

And you accuse me of not being an "impartial voice!" How hypocritical!

xio072

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2014
    I'd be far more impressed if you were on here to actually contribute to the forum, not just defend your business...

And you accuse me of not being an "impartial voice!" How hypocritical!

Max' - I am not the type of person to post to these forums but stumbling upon this I felt I had to speak. In fact I signed up to this forum just so I can reply. If you were a business owner who read the criticism towards Alamo Tactical and Chris himself, wouldn't you want to defend yourself and provide a rebuttal? I read his post, and from I can tell he seemed understanding and fair. Even while he was defending his company, which he has every right to do, he went on to admit some of their downfalls and areas of improvement. Seems humble to me... Of course he is going to call you out on your bias when you put yourself out there admitting it. When you downplay another company and promote your own in the same discussion you are placing yourself in a potentially hostile position.

What would you consider as a 'contribution' to the forum if you were in his position? Obviously you have some serious contention towards Alamo Tactical. Chris responded in a lengthy and detailed discussion which appears took him a lot of time. Did you only read his statements towards you? What is interesting in your series of posts is you mentioned Gun Shack and then used the term 'Us' and then later on stating Gun Shack is "the only one you have faith in these days." I would assume you have faith in the very company you work for. So at one time you are placing yourself as a part of them and then another you are not.

Frankly, Max, as I have previously touched on berating another company by name followed by the promotion of your own is somewhat unprofessional. Using your quoted statement above and referencing your other posts in this forum you are basically saying he should not defend his own business but it is perfectly fine for you to criticize and promote others? Hmmm... Now that you mention 'hypocritical'...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    It is always difficult to reply to threads like this, especially those that have some older posts. Unfortunately, when someone emails a link to this thread to me I have to respond.

This is not an older post, I have no earthly idea what the May 2013 thing is, I was in your store late Feb or early Mar of THIS YEAR..you know, 2014, I had never been there prior to that nor spoke with anyone about your place of business.

What I said I stand by 100%, that was my experience and had no reason to say otherwise, I have no prior knowledge of you, your personnel or store.

Fact was my wife has given me a AR 'build' for my birthday, so I was shopping for a place to do it and I had zero info about your place of business walking in the door. You had a chance to make a customer and score a build.

Now if you really knew anything about running a business, your post on here all but calling me a liar has shown me you have no idea how to treat a customer.

1) You should have sent me a PM and asked to discuss it or ask if I would stop by, coffee is on you and lets see if we can make it right. You did neither.

2) I currently own a successful manufacturing company. I joined with my dad back in the very early 60's in a gun store, Texas Guns, when we moved from San Antonio we sold it ( the current Texas Guns in SA is not owned by the same fellow we sold it to.) We did a lot of business back in the day with a fellow by the name of Sam C ummings, if you don't know who he is, suggest you Goggle him then you will know some of the things in the gun world we were involved in.

3) You might want to review how you do business, as its clear to me and others you have some challenges. I am not alone in my thinking or experiences. I am going to give you the 3 rules of business my Dad taught me and I have followed since. Rule !) Customer Service; Rule 2) Customer Service; Rule 3) Customer Service...you only have one chance to treat a customer right the first time!

3) For the record I too am a Combat Veteran, Vietnam 67-68 (14 mo) 1/12th Infantry 1st Cav Div.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom