• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Stopped by to visit and will never go back.

Price: Jaw dropping, its full MSRP ++ (then one of the guys there tells me how slow sales are, nobody buys guns anymore etc...I wanted to say, lower you prices some to be competitive, its not a MSRP ++ market anymore)

Needed a couple of parts asked a guy if he had a [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Picatinny rail for one of my rifles. He looked at me and asked what a Picatinny was. I said a rail to mount this scope on (had my scope in my hand), he said oh you want a set of scope rings? No I have rings for this scope, just need the rail. He clearly did not know what it was. We find one I can use then I pull out another scope and ask if he has a set of rings for it (I think it was 30mm) he finds some. So I have a P-rail, about 4 in long and the mounting screws along with a set of 30mm scope rings. This stuff is not LaRue or anything but made in China quality, my total bill was about $112 before tax. I gasped at the cost, then he said will I can give 5% if you are military. OK I got hair over $5 bucks off on the bill. The rings were $64.95 as I remember P rail about $50.

Opened up the packages when I got home and WOW talk about poor quality, cheaply machined metal, I have given away better stuff to a gun buddy.

Went to take them back, no returns, sorry....

I will pass on it, better to shop the Saxet gun show...better prices, more knowledgable people...
    [/FONT]
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Gotta agree, I've gone by there a couple of times (it's on my way home from Bullis) and have never been impressed with the place. Overpriced and horrible customer service.

Next time try the Gun Shack in Helotes, it's not too far away from there and it's a real gun shop!

Or join us at the Premier show on the 22nd of March!

Cheers! M2

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    It was my first time there and all the stuff was packaged, they don't like you opening them in the store...now I know why there is no return policy, they do not want the junk either...

Is the Pemier Show the one over at the AT&T Center????

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I've always got good parts & good customer service the times I have been there. Have shot the shit for quite a long while with a lot of the guys there as well, always been friendly & helpful...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Last month, I needed some scope bases and rings for an Anschuetz .22 LR repeater. I checked all the major internet sources: Cabela's, Numrich, Brownell's, Midway, etc. No luck.

So I called the local gun shops. Nagel's on San Pedro had exactly what I needed. They also had some CFE223 and I was out the door under 80 bucks.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Last month, I needed some scope bases and rings for an Anschuetz .22 LR repeater. I checked all the major internet sources: Cabela's, Numrich, Brownell's, Midway, etc. No luck.

So I called the local gun shops. Nagel's on San Pedro had exactly what I needed. They also had some CFE223 and I was out the door under 80 bucks.

Be VERY careful when buying from Nagel's. I have seen them lie to customers (claiming a Mosin-nagant was a Mauser K98) and sell guns they knew were dangerously defective.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Gun Shack in Helotes is a drive but they are good people. I did a transfer through them right after SHOT show and talked with them for a bit. They were nice, friendly, they are C3, I was surprised they charged me tax on a transfer but maybe that is a TX thing. This was my first transfer in TX since moving from AZ.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Be VERY careful when buying from Nagel's. I have seen them lie to customers (claiming a Mosin-nagant was a Mauser K98) and sell guns they knew were dangerously defective.

That is a very serious charge, without any specific evidence of date/time/place, nor any evidence they were ever investigated or prosecuted for a fraudulent transaction.

Can you prove your allegation?

I have never had a problem there, other than high prices and a cluttered floor. They do negotiate, and every time I bought a gun/scope/accessory they dropped their asking price.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That is a very serious charge, without any specific evidence of date/time/place, nor any evidence they were ever investigated or prosecuted for a fraudulent transaction.

Can you prove your allegation?

I have never had a problem there, other than high prices and a cluttered floor. They do negotiate, and every time I bought a gun/scope/accessory they dropped their asking price.

I have no evidence outside of what I've personally witnessed.

I once went in there looking for a bargain on a K98. The guy in the back where all the reloading stuff / junk bin showed me several; all of them were in poor shape and priced way above what they were worth. I asked him if he had anything at a better price and he brought out a Mosin Nagant. I asked him why the bolt handle was straight and he said, "That's just a variant."

Another time I saw an engraved Tanfolgio .380 at a nice price I figured might be nice for my grandma. Upon inspecting it I found the slide release had a mind of its own. When I pointed this out he said, "Yeah it's been doing that." I didn't know much about Tanfoglios so I decided to so a little research, then decided against the purchase. A little while later I saw the same long-haired guy who showed me the gun telling one of the employees how he finally sold the "Defective pimp gun that took off a piece of my hand." Apparently when showing it to a customer the slide released and badly damaged the web of his hand. Now it's in the (hopefully still undamaged) hands of a customer.

I saw a woman pick up a firearm from them that they mailed into S&W for warranty work. They graciously only charged her $75 to mail it. That's a handsome profit indeed considering S&W sends free pre-paid packages to customers requesting warranty work (ask me how I know). $75 to put a gun in a free cardboard box and drop the box off down the street. Someone's kids are going to college!

Someone else here claims one of the employees told him their prices are higher than Academy because Academy gets defective factory seconds. Ha! If anything your odds of buying something defective are greatly increased at Nagel's, and you WILL pay a premium for it.

Believe it or not. Caveat emptor.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree with all the statements. I haven't been fully impressed with the shops up here. I just keep buying from my favorite down in the Valley.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've heard misinformation firsthand from the staff at Nagel's, whether it was intentional or not I don't know; but considering how much they are asking for some of their milsurp rifles, I wouldn't trust their judgment or "expertise"...

To be honest, the Gun Shack is the only local shop I have faith in these days. Well, that and my good friend over at Hill Country Black Rifle.

I take every other gun shop is SA with a grain of salt...

Last edited:

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Powderhorn is good folks. Gun Shack, good. Nagels, some prices can't be beat, others suck.
    You probably get better or at least more honest advice at an Academy or Bass Pro than some gun shops.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    I've heard misinformation firsthand from the staff at Nagel's, whether it was intentional or not I don't know; but considering how much they are asking for some of their milsurp rifles, I wouldn't trust their judgment or "expertise"...

To be honest, the Gun Shack is the only local shop I have faith in these days. Well, that and my good friend over at Hill Country Black Rifle.

I take every other gun shop is SA with a grain of salt...

+1 on Hill Country Black Rifles. Don's guns is another one of my favorites.

nailski

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Centex
    Stopped by to visit and will never go back.

Price: Jaw dropping, its full MSRP ++ (then one of the guys there tells me how slow sales are, nobody buys guns anymore etc...I wanted to say, lower you prices some to be competitive, its not a MSRP ++ market anymore)

Needed a couple of parts asked a guy if he had a Picatinny rail for one of my rifles. He looked at me and asked what a Picatinny was. I said a rail to mount this scope on (had my scope in my hand), he said oh you want a set of scope rings? No I have rings for this scope, just need the rail. He clearly did not know what it was. We find one I can use then I pull out another scope and ask if he has a set of rings for it (I think it was 30mm) he finds some. So I have a P-rail, about 4 in long and the mounting screws along with a set of 30mm scope rings. This stuff is not LaRue or anything but made in China quality, my total bill was about $112 before tax. I gasped at the cost, then he said will I can give 5% if you are military. OK I got hair over $5 bucks off on the bill. The rings were $64.95 as I remember P rail about $50.

Opened up the packages when I got home and WOW talk about poor quality, cheaply machined metal, I have given away better stuff to a gun buddy.

Went to take them back, no returns, sorry....

I will pass on it, better to shop the Saxet gun show...better prices, more knowledgable people...

My first trip to Alamo Tactical will also be my last. I stood at the counter while employees ignored me for at least 5 minutes before someone asked if I had been helped. The employees outnumbered the customers so it's not like they were very busy. Fortunately, they didn't have a buffer tube so I was on my way. These guys need to understand at a retail location, customer service matters.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My first trip to Alamo Tactical will also be my last. I stood at the counter while employees ignored me for at least 5 minutes before someone asked if I had been helped. The employees outnumbered the customers so it's not like they were very busy. Fortunately, they didn't have a buffer tube so I was on my way. These guys need to understand at a retail location, customer service matters.

This is a common complaint from some. Personally, I have never been ignored and when I asked for help they where right there to help. This is not a knock on you nailski personally, but I think some people's idea of customer service varies.

Personally, when I go in any store, I don't need anyone to say anything to me until I initiate contact with them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom