• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    TM247, Glad to see you are making it on your own. I've got 3 vehicles to maintain, so I may need your services in the future. Can you PM your contact info?
    Guns International

JandK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2021
    Cherokee County
    I was enrolled in auto mechanics at vo tech during high school and absolutely loved it. The real world of wrenching turned me off when I learned how cut throat it is between techs and how dirty shop owners can be.
    I worked for a gentleman part time in high school that was a class act of a mechanic and would teach me anything and he knew everything, granted I was 14 to 18 time frame. Worked on his race cars for fun and education and his customers cars for pay. He himself was self employed and had severe alcohol and drug problems but was a friendly man. His advice was do my Army thing and stay away from the wrenching life. He knew I was a decent carpenter and had great remodels and teachers in that trade so I pursued it. Here I am now a residential contractor. I loved working on all cars but my love was 4x4 building and race cars,he knew there wasn't a huge market for those guys in the 90s and that I would hate working at a dealership. Which I did for a bit and hated it. Lies and deception is a skill those owners almost all major in.
    So i maintain my work truck and wife's jeep,one day neighbor who works as a jeep mechanic comes over to have a beer and sees my tools and the axles I'm re gearing for wife and the break job. He watches for awhile and comes off with we can't find good mechanics would I be interested in working at his dealership. I replied, can I work on vehicles with attention to detail like this one? He immediately says you won't make a dime taking things that far. So I said that's why I fix my own rigs as mechanics are screwed out of money so the big box place becomes wealthy.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I was enrolled in auto mechanics at vo tech during high school and absolutely loved it. The real world of wrenching turned me off when I learned how cut throat it is between techs and how dirty shop owners can be.
    I worked for a gentleman part time in high school that was a class act of a mechanic and would teach me anything and he knew everything, granted I was 14 to 18 time frame. Worked on his race cars for fun and education and his customers cars for pay. He himself was self employed and had severe alcohol and drug problems but was a friendly man. His advice was do my Army thing and stay away from the wrenching life. He knew I was a decent carpenter and had great remodels and teachers in that trade so I pursued it. Here I am now a residential contractor. I loved working on all cars but my love was 4x4 building and race cars,he knew there wasn't a huge market for those guys in the 90s and that I would hate working at a dealership. Which I did for a bit and hated it. Lies and deception is a skill those owners almost all major in.
    So i maintain my work truck and wife's jeep,one day neighbor who works as a jeep mechanic comes over to have a beer and sees my tools and the axles I'm re gearing for wife and the break job. He watches for awhile and comes off with we can't find good mechanics would I be interested in working at his dealership. I replied, can I work on vehicles with attention to detail like this one? He immediately says you won't make a dime taking things that far. So I said that's why I fix my own rigs as mechanics are screwed out of money so the big box place becomes wealthy.
    And you still have your integrity, which is worth far more.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have traveled as far as Killeen to help another TGT member but I do have to increase my travel charge. Things are snowballing for me lately and now that it's getting hot I'm getting stacked up with compressor replacements and lots of local work. I gave a lady a quote yesterday for struts and brakes on an Escape and I came in $1000 under the estimate they received.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Talk to the local IRS office. I did it in Houston years ago. They showed me how to set up my books and told me what I could deduct and how. Some of which I would have missed. It is worth asking. And no offense to Deemus, he is a great guy, it is cheaper than a CPA.
    How many years ago was that? I'm under the impression that due to budget cuts the monthly seminar that the Houston IRS used to conduct for new business owners had been discontinued.

Top Bottom