• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So this probably belongs under rants and raves but it's pretty hometown relevant. I've been fixing cars in Austin for 25 years now. I have seen it all in those years and when I chose my most recent employer I did it based on their reputation as an "honest" shop having won numerous back to back chronicle awards for most honest shop in Austin in the early 2000s.

I should have known better when after a few months the owners wife told me "I know too much" during a meeting where I disagreed with the manager telling me he would make up for short changing me on a job on my next one. So he literally adds time to another customers bill to compensate me. I had mentioned to them that every other shop I worked at simply "ate" the time. It really wasn't much. I didn't huff and puff about it but it irked me and I was always hesitant to send friends or family there.

Through 7 years of grinding I was literally the most productive and efficient employee they had in the entire history of the company spanning over 20 years. The last 2 were rough considering I endured 50 cent raises in consecutive years during which they not only raised their labor rate by $35 but also received almost $250k in COVID PPP money. Naturally when COVID hit they disappeared to their lake house along with part of the shop supply of nitrile gloves. During this same period we broke records for revenue as everyone worked on.

The COVID money thing baffled me. When I found an article in the el paso times about the money they received I thought how did they qualify while making more money than ever before? Now it's clear they must have claimed their children as employees too since they simply never had their reported number of staff.

But it gets better...I finally put in my 2 weeks after dealing with the owners wife not paying my earned PTO, over a month after I took it. Then when I submitted a tx payday law claim she edits a document she submitted to show I have no YTD accrued vacation but paid me anyways. I cited the numbers from our Intuit payroll portal in the filing. So I finally get paid those days only to find my PTO edited the next week in the payroll portal. Literally removing almost a week of earned PTO in spite of only getting paid for 2 vacation days and one sick day.

I wanted to quit right then but our employee manual only shows end of year payouts for unused PTO. I decided to ride it out til January first then I finally submit my 2 weeks. Even come in the Monday after to finish a job I started on an APD vehicle. So Monday I start packing, talked to the owner and he tells me, no hurry understanding that I have 4 tool boxes, 2 of which require a tow truck to move. Tuesday I head in and the manager says hey you need to be out by Thursday. I thought ok I'll get it done.

Then today as I'm cleaning and packing the manager tells me the owners wife said if my tool boxes aren't out today she will charge me a thousand dollars a day for storage! When I call towing companies most won't do it, others need a day to make the right driver and flatbed available. At the end of the day I get it done. Shout out to Damien with K&S towing but I couldn't help but tell the owners wife that's the most unprofessional treatment I have received in my 25 years.

And before you ask, yes they are liberals who voted for Biden. I'd tell her she lost the respect of every employee there today but the reality is she never had it. I talk to people all the time about how Austin has changed but this is an entirely new experience.
    Military Camp

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So this probably belongs under rants and raves but it's pretty hometown relevant. I've been fixing cars in Austin for 25 years now. I have seen it all in those years and when I chose my most recent employer I did it based on their reputation as an "honest" shop having won numerous back to back chronicle awards for most honest shop in Austin in the early 2000s.

I should have known better when after a few months the owners wife told me "I know too much" during a meeting where I disagreed with the manager telling me he would make up for short changing me on a job on my next one. So he literally adds time to another customers bill to compensate me. I had mentioned to them that every other shop I worked at simply "ate" the time. It really wasn't much. I didn't huff and puff about it but it irked me and I was always hesitant to send friends or family there.

Through 7 years of grinding I was literally the most productive and efficient employee they had in the entire history of the company spanning over 20 years. The last 2 were rough considering I endured 50 cent raises in consecutive years during which they not only raised their labor rate by $35 but also received almost $250k in COVID PPP money. Naturally when COVID hit they disappeared to their lake house along with part of the shop supply of nitrile gloves. During this same period we broke records for revenue as everyone worked on.

The COVID money thing baffled me. When I found an article in the el paso times about the money they received I thought how did they qualify while making more money than ever before? Now it's clear they must have claimed their children as employees too since they simply never had their reported number of staff.

But it gets better...I finally put in my 2 weeks after dealing with the owners wife not paying my earned PTO, over a month after I took it. Then when I submitted a tx payday law claim she edits a document she submitted to show I have no YTD accrued vacation but paid me anyways. I cited the numbers from our Intuit payroll portal in the filing. So I finally get paid those days only to find my PTO edited the next week in the payroll portal. Literally removing almost a week of earned PTO in spite of only getting paid for 2 vacation days and one sick day.

I wanted to quit right then but our employee manual only shows end of year payouts for unused PTO. I decided to ride it out til January first then I finally submit my 2 weeks. Even come in the Monday after to finish a job I started on an APD vehicle. So Monday I start packing, talked to the owner and he tells me, no hurry understanding that I have 4 tool boxes, 2 of which require a tow truck to move. Tuesday I head in and the manager says hey you need to be out by Thursday. I thought ok I'll get it done.

Then today as I'm cleaning and packing the manager tells me the owners wife said if my tool boxes aren't out today she will charge me a thousand dollars a day for storage! When I call towing companies most won't do it, others need a day to make the right driver and flatbed available. At the end of the day I get it done. Shout out to Damien with K&S towing but I couldn't help but tell the owners wife that's the most unprofessional treatment I have received in my 25 years.

And before you ask, yes they are liberals who voted for Biden. I'd tell her she lost the respect of every employee there today but the reality is she never had it. I talk to people all the time about how Austin has changed but this is an entirely new experience.
    Some people are garbage. Sorry you had to deal with it. If it helps at all, things always get worse before they get worse. Or as my father in law says: it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

On a serious note phuk em.

Once I read the bit about adding time to a job to buffer something else; seen it. Sacks of shit do that stuff. I have had two former employers do stuff like that.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Dang dude, that sucks.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Sadly not surprising. When I was a kid, my uncle owned a shop with a really good repuation - Andy's Auto Electric on South Lamar. He and my aunt ran the shop through the 80s - I took my first car to them a few times and sat in the office chatting with my aunt while the work was done. When Uncle Andy retired, the shop passed to one of his sons who honestly tried, but his heart wasn't in it. Eventually he sold the business to one of the mechanics and...it went to shit.

Then the shop moved out to somewhere on 290, and now apparently it's in Lockhart and the guy who bought it appears to have handed it over to his son. Considering what Kenny did to my uncle's reputation (he's still using Andy's name on the business, even though Andy has been gone since the 90s) I wouldn't recommend anyone take a vehicle there.

Locally to where I live now, there's a shop I went to a few times where I was treated well and good work was done on my car. Then at some point it was bought from the original owner, the name stayed the same but all the old employees moved on, and the quality went into the crapper. Last time I took my car there for an oil change they actually tried to pull the shit with me where they pour iron filings into the oil drain pan and show it to you, trying to get you to sign off on major repairs that aren't needed and will not actually be carried out.

Another "highly recommended" shop kept my son's car for three months, always begging for more time because they were so busy. When I finally lost patience and told them to either fix it or I'd come get it, the owner couldn't remember why it was there.

It seems to be the way of things these days. Small shops struggle, then wind up being taken over by crooks.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sad thing is we also do repairs on executive duty DPS vehicles. I replaced a 4k$ rack and pinion on a Taurus someone else misdiagnosed. A week later it's back for the rear differential it actually needed. I even said, what's wrong with this rack and pinion while replacing it. They don't just burn everyday customers but employees and our tax money all at the same time.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Start with the mobile, but get to a brick and mortar location as quickly as you can - your overall income will improve, as will your work hours per dollar earned. And I mean YOUR brick and mortar - as an independent, not working for someone else. As you work your mobile business, keep a good customer list, and always let them know you're "looking around" for a good location. You'd be surprised at the opportunities that might arise from "someone that knows someone with a building for lease".

Best of luck to you - and don't worry, the place you left will ultimately pay the price....they always do.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    In my experience, disreputable companies will eventually screw you over. I don't care how much money you make or how many promotions you get, people like that are out for themselves only. Get out as soon as you can.

A neighbor kid wanted to be a mechanic and took classes to be one. He got on with a local car dealer, but within a month or so he realized that they were crooked. If he found a simple way to make a repair, he got chewed out for not finding more things to charge the customer for. It didn't take long before he just absolutely hated the place. The upside was that he joined the Navy and is happily working there.

servis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Denton County
    Start with the mobile, but get to a brick and mortar location as quickly as you can - your overall income will improve, as will your work hours per dollar earned. And I mean YOUR brick and mortar - as an independent, not working for someone else. As you work your mobile business, keep a good customer list, and always let them know you're "looking around" for a good location. You'd be surprised at the opportunities that might arise from "someone that knows someone with a building for lease".

Best of luck to you - and don't worry, the place you left will ultimately pay the price....they always do.
    Plus 1 on that. Not only that "someone that knows someone". People like to help people that do good, honest work for them. That's why those busy shops don't need to advertise.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom