• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullsi

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2022
    Montgomery Co, TX
    So this probably belongs under rants and raves but it's pretty hometown relevant. I've been fixing cars in Austin for 25 years now. I have seen it all in those years and when I chose my most recent employer I did it based on their reputation as an "honest" shop having won numerous back to back chronicle awards for most honest shop in Austin in the early 2000s.

I should have known better when after a few months the owners wife told me "I know too much" during a meeting where I disagreed with the manager telling me he would make up for short changing me on a job on my next one. So he literally adds time to another customers bill to compensate me. I had mentioned to them that every other shop I worked at simply "ate" the time. It really wasn't much. I didn't huff and puff about it but it irked me and I was always hesitant to send friends or family there.

Through 7 years of grinding I was literally the most productive and efficient employee they had in the entire history of the company spanning over 20 years. The last 2 were rough considering I endured 50 cent raises in consecutive years during which they not only raised their labor rate by $35 but also received almost $250k in COVID PPP money. Naturally when COVID hit they disappeared to their lake house along with part of the shop supply of nitrile gloves. During this same period we broke records for revenue as everyone worked on.

The COVID money thing baffled me. When I found an article in the el paso times about the money they received I thought how did they qualify while making more money than ever before? Now it's clear they must have claimed their children as employees too since they simply never had their reported number of staff.

But it gets better...I finally put in my 2 weeks after dealing with the owners wife not paying my earned PTO, over a month after I took it. Then when I submitted a tx payday law claim she edits a document she submitted to show I have no YTD accrued vacation but paid me anyways. I cited the numbers from our Intuit payroll portal in the filing. So I finally get paid those days only to find my PTO edited the next week in the payroll portal. Literally removing almost a week of earned PTO in spite of only getting paid for 2 vacation days and one sick day.

I wanted to quit right then but our employee manual only shows end of year payouts for unused PTO. I decided to ride it out til January first then I finally submit my 2 weeks. Even come in the Monday after to finish a job I started on an APD vehicle. So Monday I start packing, talked to the owner and he tells me, no hurry understanding that I have 4 tool boxes, 2 of which require a tow truck to move. Tuesday I head in and the manager says hey you need to be out by Thursday. I thought ok I'll get it done.

Then today as I'm cleaning and packing the manager tells me the owners wife said if my tool boxes aren't out today she will charge me a thousand dollars a day for storage! When I call towing companies most won't do it, others need a day to make the right driver and flatbed available. At the end of the day I get it done. Shout out to Damien with K&S towing but I couldn't help but tell the owners wife that's the most unprofessional treatment I have received in my 25 years.

And before you ask, yes they are liberals who voted for Biden. I'd tell her she lost the respect of every employee there today but the reality is she never had it. I talk to people all the time about how Austin has changed but this is an entirely new experience.
    Liberalism is a decease. God speed Brother.
    Texas SOT

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    Well I had a couple jobs last week for friends and family. Better money than I'd make in a week at the shop. So much paperwork and procedural Bs to deal with moving forward. Got to have this before that and on and on. I won't have my sales tax permit til mid February so I'm not marking up any parts right now. Single invoice works and just has me paying all tax upfront which I'm fine with.

I'd say my specialty is Asian and Domestic but I've had my hands on just about everything out there. I've fixed tons of old jeeps as well as newer ones. I pretty much grew up with the jeep line working on 2.5s and the 4.0 until they were replaced with the 3.6. I have a feeling I'll always be working on newer jeeps since their plastic oil coolers fail with regularity beneath the intake manifold. I've done several rack and pinions eps pumps and timing covers on grand Cherokees too.

I'm really hoping to line up timing belts/chains on Toyota, Subaru, Honda and others. Definitely one of my strong suits and usually a same day turnover for me. Of course brakes, axles, shocks and struts are mostly easy money too. At that last shop most of the guys were scared of timing belts and chains so I did a couple every week. I'll post my website after I put a little more time into it.
    It's rotten how you were done. The fact that it upsets you just speaks to your character.

My advice is to get past the sting as quickly as you can, let it go.

As long as you resent them they have a power over you.

I was done the same way after a 30 year career with a company that went rotten. God, it literally broke my heart. I've been retired a few years now and I'm finally letting go of my hate and resentment.

You have a good head on your shoulders and you will prevail. After a while you will realize that this is the best thing that could have happened....even if it doesn't feel like it now.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I have had some success and satisfaction from reporting companies that are dishonest to me or other consumers. I file online complaints with
    Texas Attorney General , U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Trade Commission,
    IRS and Better Business Bureau. I also sent letters to my Federal and State legislators (that's fun because several of their "constituancy responders"will follow up with nasty responses to the business). Depending upon the nature of the offense, I have also filed with the FBI and any state or national trade org where the business is a member.
    As an example, a few years ago I bought a car in Dallas. Shortly thereafter I moved to Houston and found that the car had been wrecked and had a front clip job. I wasn't informed of that when I purchased the car. On the phone, the dealership was smug and not willing to give me back my money. I quit talking and started a paper flow going to them on a daily basis. In 2 weeks the dealership owner called me and begged me to stop my assault. He ended up giving me back all of the money that I was out (including costs to drive the car to Dallas) and flew me back to Houston on his dollar.

Slimshaddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    South Austin Texas
    I'm a retired ASE Master Tech with L1 Cert and former small shop owner.
    Ran my own outfit for most of 30 years in Austin and I can tell you it's brutal to comply with the regs and taxes.
    I shut down to go racing and then ended up working for other shops around town.
    The amount of stress I shed going from running my own place to just having to diagnose and repair vehicles was quite the weight off my shoulders.
    Turned out the owners of two of the shops I moved to were indeed crooks and it was painful to tell the boss what the car needed only to get a work order with extra un-needed items added to it.
    My best advice is to go underground until/unless you find a kindred spirit to work for.
    Start working for friends and friends of friends, go cash only and don't itemize the invoice to prevent sales tax collection.
    Don't use social media other than to mention you could "take a look" at a problem.
    Never mention payment or specifics about a repair.
    I would advise opening your own place but the rent in Austin is so high now it's not possible for a small operator to succeed.
    On a positive note run, do not walk, and join IATN. (International Automotive Technicians Network).
    Becoming a member changed my life as a Tech.'
    Vast amounts of tech data and info and connections to thousands of Techs world wide.
    Answers to hard to solve diagnostic problems, wave form charts, trouble code hacks, you name it they have it.
    Cost is low compared to the benefits.
    Wrench on.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I'm a retired ASE Master Tech with L1 Cert and former small shop owner.
    Ran my own outfit for most of 30 years in Austin and I can tell you it's brutal to comply with the regs and taxes.
    I shut down to go racing and then ended up working for other shops around town.
    The amount of stress I shed going from running my own place to just having to diagnose and repair vehicles was quite the weight off my shoulders.
    Turned out the owners of two of the shops I moved to were indeed crooks and it was painful to tell the boss what the car needed only to get a work order with extra un-needed items added to it.
    My best advice is to go underground until/unless you find a kindred spirit to work for.
    Start working for friends and friends of friends, go cash only and don't itemize the invoice to prevent sales tax collection.
    Don't use social media other than to mention you could "take a look" at a problem.
    Never mention payment or specifics about a repair.
    I would advise opening your own place but the rent in Austin is so high now it's not possible for a small operator to succeed.
    On a positive note run, do not walk, and join IATN. (International Automotive Technicians Network).
    Becoming a member changed my life as a Tech.'
    Vast amounts of tech data and info and connections to thousands of Techs world wide.
    Answers to hard to solve diagnostic problems, wave form charts, trouble code hacks, you name it they have it.
    Cost is low compared to the benefits.
    Wrench on.

<>

No amount of laws, regulations, or restrictions could ever replace internal ETHICS.

Abide by the “Golden Rule” and you are almost guaranteed to succeed in Life.

I’m saddened that you had to go through this pain “to comply with the regs and taxes” !

leVieux

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well, I have to admit, so far so good going out on my own! My early goal was to do at least 10 labor hours a week to scrape by and after my first 2 weeks I haven't done under 20. I got a few good reviews on nextdoor in my area and 3 full months in I have 56 "faves" and I'm booked for the following week by the weekend before.

After my first 3 weeks I decided to buy Mitchell pro demand for labor estimates and to have detailed procedures and wiring diagrams. Most of my jobs are pretty small but I love being back in the fray. I've known a bunch of guys that stressed doing diags but I'm like a duck in water. I've chosen to specialize in Asian and domestic vehicles just because my experience tells me euro imports are just a pain in my ass. Hate anything without a dipstick!

I've had a few Saturdays where I'll get about 12-15 calls, texts or emails trying to book. I think I'll hit a ceiling around 30 hours a week but that's all money going right into my own pocket. My only real "problem" is that I make stuff look so easy sometimes it's hard to get full billing without feeling guilty. When I work through an electrical issue in minutes I find myself being generous to my customers.

Probably the most rewarding thing is to see a post on nextdoor asking about a mobile mechanic just to see 2, 3 or 4 of my customers endorse me with plenty of kind words. I ended up taking to a regional manager for ammco after a customer got burned on a repair. I usually don't like to get involved in that stuff but after the manager ducked my first call we had a brief chat. I said how I did and would have approached the same problem they diag'd and of course I fixed it. They had been blowing him off about a refund but they day after our talk they refunded him $550.

Aside from the money that's probably the most rewarding thing about going off on my own. I give it a year before I train a kid up or hire someone but I'm well on my way gents!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Well, I have to admit, so far so good going out on my own! My early goal was to do at least 10 labor hours a week to scrape by and after my first 2 weeks I haven't done under 20. I got a few good reviews on nextdoor in my area and 3 full months in I have 56 "faves" and I'm booked for the following week by the weekend before.

After my first 3 weeks I decided to buy Mitchell pro demand for labor estimates and to have detailed procedures and wiring diagrams. Most of my jobs are pretty small but I love being back in the fray. I've known a bunch of guys that stressed doing diags but I'm like a duck in water. I've chosen to specialize in Asian and domestic vehicles just because my experience tells me euro imports are just a pain in my ass. Hate anything without a dipstick!

I've had a few Saturdays where I'll get about 12-15 calls, texts or emails trying to book. I think I'll hit a ceiling around 30 hours a week but that's all money going right into my own pocket. My only real "problem" is that I make stuff look so easy sometimes it's hard to get full billing without feeling guilty. When I work through an electrical issue in minutes I find myself being generous to my customers.

Probably the most rewarding thing is to see a post on nextdoor asking about a mobile mechanic just to see 2, 3 or 4 of my customers endorse me with plenty of kind words. I ended up taking to a regional manager for ammco after a customer got burned on a repair. I usually don't like to get involved in that stuff but after the manager ducked my first call we had a brief chat. I said how I did and would have approached the same problem they diag'd and of course I fixed it. They had been blowing him off about a refund but they day after our talk they refunded him $550.

Aside from the money that's probably the most rewarding thing about going off on my own. I give it a year before I train a kid up or hire someone but I'm well on my way gents!

<>

CONGRATULATIONS !

We told you. . . . .

Just stay honest and treat folks well.

You’ll be OK, or better.

leVieux

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I had a mobile home repair and refurbish business in Houston in the '80s. Never paid for advertising. Be fair, be honest and never bullshit you r customers about what you can do. It gets you repeat customers and word of mouth advertising is not only free but gets you better customers.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Slimshaddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    South Austin Texas
    My very sincere advice is for you to join IATN as soon as you can.
    Talk about tech data, there's thousands of hard to fix problems that have been solved and posted by techs from all over the world (most from the USA).
    They have a wave form library so you can compare the waveforms you capture to known good ones which eliminates the "is what I'm seeing good or bad questions".
    The site is populated by not just techs from everywhere but also design engineers from Ford, Chevy, Chrysler etc who pop in and answer questions about digital logic traits.
    It changed my professional life when I joined and I had all the manuals money could buy and still found areas where they failed to help.
    so, that's the "International Technicians Network", pay the fee and start reading, you will be floored at what you find and your customers will love it too.
    And no I am not a paid spokesperson nor am I even still a member.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

A bit off-topic, but I’ve noted that with my new 2023 JEEP “Gladiator”, if something goes wrong that the diagnostic compiter doesn’t cover, the local Dealer’s “technicians” are helpless, no matter how simple. I still have my original 2001 JEEP Wrangler and it baffles them but my local “shade-tree” JEEP guy just laughs and fixes it pronto.

Our world needs good honest mechanics

“Endeavor to persevere”, and you’ll do well.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well Ram, Chrysler, Fiat has tried to make things harder for the independents out there. After 2017 they created a security gate way that isolates the computer from manipulation including code clearing. Supposedly the 2015s were getting hacked via Bluetooth and cellphone and they were avoiding massive lawsuits. There solution was to make the OBD2 port read only. So even though I have software thru 2020 my scanner can't clear codes after repairs. However, after a little reading up I got myself the SGW bypass cable and all the appropriate software for them.

The crappy part is, just to use it I have to remove the radio and that central cluster on a vehicle just to hook it up on a ram.

On another note, Mitchell has similar data compilation of confirmed fixes but a buddy of mine I still keep in touch with has an IATN account so it's there if I need it. Maybe one day I will too. Part of the problem with any modern diagnostic approach is that you have to be smarter than the computer. It can't see a connector unplugged, it will just reflect a circuit high. It doesn't know a rat chewed a wire or a ground has marginal contact. It will be a while before AI replaces mechanics.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I appreciate all the kind words guys. If anyone needs a wiring diagram or code definition I'm happy to help and naturally anyone out in the greater LCP area. I cover Georgetown to Volente and North Austin to Liberty Hill and have even traveled as far as Killeen. My travel rates vary by distance so I'm not the cheapest option for most. I welcome anyone here to contact me as needed...512-545-4616 or omwmobiletx@gmail.com. I hope I don't get flagged for listing my contacts, I'm not looking to sell anyone anything just assist as needed.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Sounds like you are and will do fine. One of the worst pitfalls of people going on their own instead of working for another is losing confidence in being able to. Not skill. Stay positive. Running your own business doesn't have to be hard.
    I don't know if they still do it but it is worth a shot. Talk to the local IRS office. I did it in Houston years ago. They showed me how to set up my books and told me what I could deduct and how. Some of which I would have missed. It is worth asking. And no offense to Deemus, he is a great guy, it is cheaper than a CPA.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    However, after a little reading up I got myself the SGW bypass cable and all the appropriate software for them.

The crappy part is, just to use it I have to remove the radio and that central cluster on a vehicle just to hook it up on a ram.
    Depends on the vehicle, but there's usually tricks to make it easier getting to the stupid SGW. If you think they'll be a repeat customer, install the extension cables so you can just plug your bypass in under the dash.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I appreciate all the kind words guys. If anyone needs a wiring diagram or code definition I'm happy to help and naturally anyone out in the greater LCP area. I cover Georgetown to Volente and North Austin to Liberty Hill and have even traveled as far as Killeen. My travel rates vary by distance so I'm not the cheapest option for most. I welcome anyone here to contact me as needed...512-545-4616 or omwmobiletx@gmail.com. I hope I don't get flagged for listing my contacts, I'm not looking to sell anyone anything just assist as needed.
    If you get tired of working for yourself, I know a fantastic local shop looking for a great mechanic!

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom