• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …That said, property taxes still need reform. I think it's a bit absurd that the ISDs are allowed to be their own taxing entity. Teachers continuously say they need better wages. Considering the amount of money the districts collect, where does it go?
    Most of the ISD cut of property taxes goes to infrastructure construction and O&M. GA expenses are mostly state and fed contributions.

I’ve never met a .gov that didn’t like a tax on something.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Most of the ISD cut of property taxes goes to infrastructure construction and O&M. GA expenses are mostly state and fed contributions.

I’ve never met a .gov that didn’t like a tax on something.

Ah, I see. Admittedly I was not aware of that. I knew that bonds almost always went to infrastructure projects but didn't realize that tax thefts revenues did too.

You should see what some of the taxing entities in CA would do to get around Prop 13 taxes. There'd be 7-10 line items on the property tax bill that were special assessments above and beyond the regular property assessment.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    IMHO schools should have to compete for my education dollar.

Give me a voucher…of course, vouchers are a non-starter, no politician wants to get behind them.

So we’re left with basically monopolies that get funding without having to compete for it.

And we all know how monopolies play out for the end customer…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    ^^^^^^ the correct situation. If you (we) vote down the bond issue they will figure out another way to get the $$. Even fudge the ballot box, as several cities have done. You will never cut the Gov. 'take' no matter what.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I think people should be able to opt-out if they don't use the services. My parents homeschooled three kids while paying property taxes to two or three school districts...
    I think more of the costs of school districts should be paid by the parents utilizing the schools. Those living on retirement incomes shouldn't be overly burdened by property taxes to fund these schools.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I think more of the costs of school districts should be paid by the parents utilizing the schools. Those living on retirement incomes shouldn't be overly burdened by property taxes to fund these schools.
    Yep. Constitution guarantees an education. Does not guarantee sports, proms, band, lunch, etc. those should be paid by those use the service.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No it doesn't. Education is not mentioned in the constitution. The FedGov has usurped the authority on education from the states starting with Brown v, Topeka Board of Education.
    Well thanks now I got go find out what I read to make me think that

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yep. Constitution guarantees an education. Does not guarantee sports, proms, band, lunch, etc. those should be paid by those use the service.
    All citizens pay part of the operating costs of the services of their governments. The parents of children using the schools should pay for those services more than others who do not utilize these services. Those using the court system should pay more of its operating costs than citizens who obey the laws. The tax system needs to reflect this. A home owner pays taxes upon purchasing the home and property tax every year as long as he owns it. Most items are only taxed once, when they were purchased. An automobile has taxes based on purchase as well as fuel taxes based on its use. Many of those paying for the activities and facilities of the schools derive no benefit for the taxes used to finance them.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All citizens pay part of the operating costs of the services of their governments. The parents of children using the schools should pay for those services more than others who do not utilize these services. Those using the court system should pay more of its operating costs than citizens who obey the laws. The tax system needs to reflect this. A home owner pays taxes upon purchasing the home and property tax every year as long as he owns it. Most items are only taxed once, when they were purchased. An automobile has taxes based on purchase as well as fuel taxes based on its use. Many of those paying for the activities and facilities of the schools derive no benefit for the taxes used to finance them.

Hilarious proposal, there are numerous government programs I contribute to despite not being a recipient of the benefits.

In fact, those programs far outweigh the few I actually tangibly benefit from!

Anyone who believes such a tax system will be implemented is as delusional as those who believe West when he says he'll abolish property taxes!

In fact, such ignorance (also displayed in some of the comments in this thread) are one of the reasons schools need to be funded!

Lastly, it is equally ignorant to believe those without children in schools don't benefit from other kids' education. If you think the younger generations are dumb now...

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    We all benefit from educating children. We need them to be able to read, write, do simple math and to understand the real constitution, how our government is supposed to work and our history as well as some world history. We adults will have to deal with these children daily at some point Whether the children grow up to become burger flippers, ditch diggers, auto techs, computer techs, retailers, grocers, doctors or lawyers they all need the basic education.

If you don't think we all benefit from public education, just wait until your lawyer tries to get you out of jail with a writ of jalapeno corpus.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    And there are a lot of school districts that do an excellent job managing their budgets.

I was on a NISD citizens bond committee back in 2007, and was impressed with all the information we had at our disposal. They basically opened their books to us, and we got answers to all our questions.

We recommended a $692.67 million bond which passed during the vote. It remains the second largest bond in NISD history, only being surpassed in 2018 (a $848.91 million bond).

Only two NISD bonds have failed since 1949 (1957 and 1992).

Northside ISD Voters have passed almost $2.5 billion in bond construction programs since 1995.
    We all benefit from educating children. We need them to be able to read, write, do simple math and to understand the real constitution, how our government is supposed to work and our history as well as some world history. We adults will have to deal with these children daily at some point Whether the children grow up to become burger flippers, ditch diggers, auto techs, computer techs, retailers, grocers, doctors or lawyers they all need the basic education.

If you don't think we all benefit from public education, just wait until your lawyer tries to get you out of jail with a writ of jalapeno corpus.
    I like the jalapena Corpus. I believe that should be instituted in a court of law.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So, using your logic, only those who have a house on fire should pay taxes that go to the fire dept. Boy, will that be one heck of bill.

Some things are for the common good and should be paid in general.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I am not opposed to taxes, even on income. They need to be changed in the way they are levied. Everyone pays taxes used to construct and maintain roads, but some roads require a toll based on their use. Although I pay a tax for fire protection, if they send an ambulance I will be required to pay the fire department for their service.

Top Bottom