• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    We all benefit from educating children. We need them to be able to read, write, do simple math and to understand the real constitution, how our government is supposed to work and our history as well as some world history. We adults will have to deal with these children daily at some point Whether the children grow up to become burger flippers, ditch diggers, auto techs, computer techs, retailers, grocers, doctors or lawyers they all need the basic education.

If you don't think we all benefit from public education, just wait until your lawyer tries to get you out of jail with a writ of jalapeno corpus.
    The idea that education can be so directly tied to age as we do now in the USA is a terrible idea, a farce and leads to those who excel becoming bored and losing interest and those for whom development lags falling so far behind as to be lost.

Public schools should not offer programs like theater, cheer, sports, arts etc unless they funded from something other than taxes. If schools only taught folks how to read, write, do their sums and maybe a bit of honest history they could get the school day over in probably 5h and let the older kids work, but one of the reasons for a full day of school came about during the end of the 19th century was to prevent juveniles from working or being delinquents while their parents worked and thus school became a public daycare under the color of education.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am not opposed to taxes, even on income. They need to be changed in the way they are levied. Everyone pays taxes used to construct and maintain roads, but some roads require a toll based on their use. Although I pay a tax for fire protection, if they send an ambulance I will be required to pay the fire department for their service.
    You don't pay the full cost. Part of that cost is still taxpayer subsidized.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Personally, I think every child should have access to a quality education, at least to learn the very basics in order to function as an adult in society.

My biggest gripe about much of the current educational systems are that they put too much importance of much of the extra-curricular activities that have nothing to do with education. Also pushing too many children into college, instead of trade schools or other learning sources than just college. No every student is college material. If that is the path the student wants to pursue, that's fine. But we also need plumbers, mechanics, electricians, construction workers as much as we need doctors and lawyers and engineers.

Then there is my other gripe. Too many teachers pushing their political ideology towards their students. IMO, unless the subject directly pertains to politics, then they need to leave their political opinions at home. It has no place in the classroom.

Public education needs to focus on the fundamentals, such as reading, writing, and math.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personally, I think every child should have access to a quality education, at least to learn the very basics in order to function as an adult in society.

My biggest gripe about much of the current educational systems are that they put too much importance of much of the extra-curricular activities that have nothing to do with education. Also pushing too many children into college, instead of trade schools or other learning sources than just college. No every student is college material. If that is the path the student wants to pursue, that's fine. But we also need plumbers, mechanics, electricians, construction workers as much as we need doctors and lawyers and engineers.

Then there is my other gripe. Too many teachers pushing their political ideology towards their students. IMO, unless the subject directly pertains to politics, then they need to leave their political opinions at home. It has no place in the classroom.

Public education needs to focus on the fundamentals, such as reading, writing, and math.
    I'd vote for you on the school board.

69ChevelleLSX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    Texas

My wife is a teacher definitely underpaid for what they do. 70% of parents don’t even care about education. Parents need to step up and teach their kids right and wrong. You have to give the kids the information need to make a wise decision on politics, religion and personal choices.( kinda laugh at wise but that’s where parents come in) They are being bombarded with what the media thinks, and others around them. My child made the 5 grade science teacher look foolish about evolution, he sent a letter home saying my son disrupted the class The principal was happy with what my son said. Students can bring up religion, teachers can not unless a student does.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So we’re looking into home schooling, and what surprising is the actual amount of time spent learning. It’s just a couple hours per day.

The rest of the typical school day, the majority of the time, is spent doing other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So we’re looking into home schooling, and what surprising is the actual amount of time spent learning. It’s just a couple hours per day.

The rest of the typical school day, the majority of the time, is spent doing other things.

Excellent. It would probably amaze many people just how long children are actually spending time learning the fundamentals and essentials if you trim off all the needless BS they endure during a school day.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring

So you'll have them working in the yard the rest of the time? Or teaching them a trade? Gunsmithing? Welding? Electronics?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So you'll have them working in the yard the rest of the time? Or teaching them a trade? Gunsmithing? Welding? Electronics?
    I can safely say, the time spent on the family farm working under our father, taught my brother and I a lot about learning a trade, but also about a work ethic.

It never made me a wealthy man, but it did allow me to support two ex-wives, numerous stepchildren, bought and built several homes, and have had a semi-comfortable life.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My wife is a teacher definitely underpaid for what they do. 70% of parents don’t even care about education. Parents need to step up and teach their kids right and wrong. You have to give the kids the information need to make a wise decision on politics, religion and personal choices.( kinda laugh at wise but that’s where parents come in) They are being bombarded with what the media thinks, and others around them. My child made the 5 grade science teacher look foolish about evolution, he sent a letter home saying my son disrupted the class The principal was happy with what my son said. Students can bring up religion, teachers can not unless a student does.
    I'll grant you, it should never be the teacher's or the school's place or responsibility to be teaching children right from wrong, or about moral ethics in how they conduct their lives as they grow older.

And I agree, many parents are too self-absorbed in their own daily lives to take the time to even see what is going on with their children's lives, or what they are being taught.

And I agree, that there probably many teachers that are under-paid, but at the same time, some that I suspect are over-paid as well. Teachers could probably get a decent raise if school systems were concentrating funds on teaching and resources for learning rather than expensive sports programs and all the other needless extra-curricular activities that many students spend their time on.

I also think many schools could use those funds on building up their trades classes, like welding, construction, auto repair, farm and ag classes, instead of sports, theater and band. I will say it again, not every student is college material, and IMO, too many teachers and schools focus and concentrate on trying to prep these children for college. IMO, setting them up to fail, or to start their young adult lives with huge college debt.

I'm not in any way saying that a college education isn't important, because it is for some professions, like doctors, lawyers, dentists, engineers, accountants, ect. But we also need plumbers, electricians, mechanics, welders, construction workers, ect.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

We’ll see when the time comes.
    Whatever they’ll be doing, it’ll be in The Lord’s name and to His glory

But I can tel you what they won’t be doing:
    - liberal indoctrination
    - confronting their racism
    - acknowledging their privilege

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    We’ll see when the time comes.
    Whatever they’ll be doing, it’ll be in The Lord’s name and to His glory

But I can tel you what they won’t be doing:
    - liberal indoctrination
    - confronting their racism
    - acknowledging their privilege

Our eldest kiddo ended up being best bent towards a college degree (like his momma).

He graduated TODAY at age 22 from UHCL in the top five percent of his class for his psychology bachelor’s degree (magna cum laude).

we homeschooled very loosly his entire life until he was 15 and then stuck him in community college dual credit classes (one or two at a time).

At 18, he graduated home school high school and worked 40 hours a week at a hardware store and kept working at college classes.

we didn’t need no stinking public school.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Our eldest kiddo ended up being best bent towards a college degree (like his momma).

He graduated TODAY at age 22 from UHCL in the top five percent of his class for his psychology bachelor’s degree (magna cum laude).

we homeschooled very loosly his entire life until he was 15 and then stuck him in community college dual credit classes (one or two at a time).

At 18, he graduated home school high school and worked 40 hours a week at a hardware store and kept working at college classes.

we didn’t need no stinking public school.

I love this.
    Thank you for sharing

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I love this.
    Thank you for sharing

No problem. It helps to talk it out sometimes to make sure going a different path will work out. You can make it work.

A lot of freedom in Texas with homeschool. People don’t believe me when I tell them I can just grant my kid his diploma when he is through learning what I ask him to and nobody checks up on you. And that that diploma stands just like one from the public school down the road.

There is a lot of trust in parents to do the right thing, which is not really a problem any worse than trusting the government to do the right thing by the kid.

Top Bottom