• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    CA has low property taxes due to Prop 13…details here

But they rape taxpayers at every other opportunity. 15% state income tax adds up fast when you have dual good incomes.

And let’s not forget the gas and energy prices…depending on the time of day, I was paying $0.45/kWh for power

c02c66341af7a20f7a1f7afb5383ee19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Prop 13 was a tremendous boon for taxpayers initially. It was promoted as reducing taxes on property for the individual. What it did not take into account is thst residential property sells, on average, every 5 years, and commercial property, every 20 years. Since it went into effect, most residential property has been sold, several times, often at inflated prices, and the 1% established meant higher taxes for people, not so much for banks. Not saying Prop 13 was/is bad, but it did not solve the problem. And, it gave politicians several ways to still increase taxes, special districts being one.

As for the chart showing that Texas is #47 in the least burdensome department, that just proves tge point that propeety owners are obviously paying far more than their "fair share," of taxes in Texas, and need relief!
    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If the government wants more tax monies, it can get rid of that ridiculous tax exemption churches enjoy right now!

Claiming it will "destroy the free exercise of religion" is the smelliest bullshit I've ever smelled!

But to be fair, here's both sides of the argument. I know which side I choose!

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    If the government wants more tax monies, it can get rid of that ridiculous tax exemption churches enjoy right now!

Claiming it will "destroy the free exercise of religion" is the smelliest bullshit I've ever smelled!

But to be fair, here's both sides of the argument. I know which side I choose!

Or, we could just trim a TON of fat from the budget.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The reason they were given the exemption in the first place, is because they were doing things the government couldn’t or wouldn’t do - feed the homeless, clothe the needy, etc.

I think real churches that actually do The Lord’s work to help the community should be tax-exempt.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    The reason they were given the exemption in the first place, is because they were doing things the government couldn’t or wouldn’t do - feed the homeless, clothe the needy, etc.

I think real churches that actually do The Lord’s work to help the community should be tax-exempt.

100% agreed. And it's not like the people donating to those churches aren't already being taxed. Many good Christian citizens pay their taxes AND donate to their churches, so that's a might unfair to double tax that money, too.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

You really believe government tax monies don't go to feeding the homeless, clothing the needy, etc.?

100% agreed. And it's not like the people donating to those churches aren't already being taxed. Many good Christian citizens pay their taxes AND donate to their churches, so that's a might unfair to double tax that money, too.

Just because people give them money doesn't mean they shouldn't have to pay taxes on it. I give other businesses my money for services, and they have to pay taxes on it. What's the difference?

Churches are more businesses than charities. They should pay taxes. It's about as outdated as blue laws...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

And many do a great deal for the less fortunate. And more efficiently than govt. agencies.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You really believe government tax monies don't go to feeding the homeless, clothing the needy, etc.?

Just because people give them money doesn't mean they shouldn't have to pay taxes on it. I give other businesses my money for services, and they have to pay taxes on it. What's the difference?

Churches are more businesses than charities. They should pay taxes. It's about as outdated as blue laws...
    A small percentage of the churches more businesses than churches? Yes. No denying. Churches are far more than charities. Charities only address the body. Church addresses the soul as well.

But most are not. As someone who has been fortunate to attend church my entire life (and a number of different churches along the way), I can say that most folks (like you) are clueless as to the good they do. Why is this? Because neither the church nor the members go around blowing their own horns. They don't have media publicists touting everything they do. They do good quietly. Many casual church attendees do not even realize how much is done.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Do they save you significant money?

Rotor, the group that did my protest saved me $490 it taxes this year, and I had to pay them 40% ($196). So that is the immediate benefit. The long term benefit is that the appraisal district cant increase the property value 10% on top of 10%. Fighting the appraisal each year reduces or eliminates the compounding effect.

Top Bottom