• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I applaud the aluminum frame but have to admit this is not the best looking pistol....especially with that janky looking trigger. Some talon grips would help out the smooth frame but not too sure I would jump this offering with everything else out there. Also don't know why Smith left out the dust cover rail. Probably will be added to the Gen 2. It's annoying that manufacturers drop these models sans standard features and then drop the PLUS model shortly after the first wave of buyers already have one.
    I actually really like the look of the slide, but HATE the look of the trigger. It's like a Glock and a 1911 had a bastard child together.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No mention of the CSX on Smith and Wesson's website. Looks like someone leaked early and others piled on that already had a sample. Link below not intended to turn thread into a public forum of those that do or do not like Nutnfancy.

Beat me to it. I've been busy today, but yeah. Some good, some bad.. wouldn't replace the 365 or the hellcat, but it's got the weight to mitigate the rough recoil on sub compacts.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I actually really like the look of the slide, but HATE the look of the trigger. It's like a Glock and a 1911 had a bastard child together.
    Nobody trusts the grip safety on a 1911, but Glock owners trust the trigger dongle on a Glock... The dongle essentially replaces the 1911 grip safety, and you get to decide whether you trust it sans engaged frame safety, or not...

It really is like a bastard child of a Glock and a 1911, but why is that a bad thing?

In the scheme of hammer fired pistols, the choices are basically SA, DA/SA, or DAO. DAO sucks except that at least every pull is consistent, DA/SA sucks because of the transition, and SA is great except it needs to be safed somehow.

The CSX is like a Glock with a better grip angle and presumably a crisper trigger more like a 1911 and less like striker mush... That all sounds pretty good to me, and I expect the looks will grow on me. It already looks better than a Glock!

Whether people will trust the trigger dongle like they do a Glock's remains to be seen, but I don't see much difference. And, I daily carry and have gotten used to a P365 with neither a trigger dongle or a frame safety already...

What surprises me is that S&W decided to release a new sub-compact into an already crowded market, rather than a duty gun into that already crowded market, but in either market the metal frame and hammer will/would probably be well received.

I won't rush out to buy a CSX, but it's already on my watchlist as a worthy successor to S&W's Gen 3's. When the Army began looking at 9mm's to replace their 1911's, I thought the Gen 3 Smith had it in the bag..., and bought one... stainless steel, American made... Then they chose the 92, which once I bought one, I still thought inferior, but it served well enough. Polymer framed striker fired pistols have mostly carried the day, and DA/SA seems really old school now, but the ideas of a metal frame and hammer fire still have merit, and S&W seems to have put the best of all features into this new pistol, IMO.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    It's much like my several year old S/A XD-E that holds 10 rounds, just a little smaller to hold double-stack magazine. I'll pass, thanks.

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    I'd be more interested if it had double action capability like a Para Ordnance LDA - You'd think a major mfg could run with the LDA design and not have Para's quality problems when doing a 1911 style gun. I appreciate the effort they've made here though.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I trust the 911 grip safety as much as any other gun doodad.
    Do you carry your 1911 Condition 0? Most don't...

I know some Glock owners will argue their carry is not the same as Condition 0 as the striker is not fully cocked, but my Sig P365 carry seems like carrying Condition -1; the only safety is me and my holster.

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW

I know some Glock owners will argue their carry is not the same as Condition 0 as the striker is not fully cocked, but my Sig P365 carry seems like carrying Condition -1; the only safety is me and my holster.
    I tested the grip safety on my Colt 1911. I pointed the gun at a 45 deg towards the ground 10 feet away in a private pasture with a single ShotShell in the chamber/empty mag.
    I'd decided I was going to make 100 efforts and that's what I did.. 100 presses of the trigger with the grip safety not engaged trying to get it to fire. Towards the end of the test I was pulling the trigger with all the might my grip would allow.. Hammering that trigger for all I was worth... the gun Never fired... Would not fire without the grip safety depressed. The Grip Safety works.. It's not dressing or an afterthought.. It is a serious/functional item.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I tested the grip safety on my Colt 1911. I pointed the gun at a 45 deg towards the ground 10 feet away in a private pasture with a single ShotShell in the chamber/empty mag.
    I'd decided I was going to make 100 efforts and that's what I did.. 100 presses of the trigger with the grip safety not engaged trying to get it to fire. Towards the end of the test I was pulling the trigger with all the might my grip would allow.. Hammering that trigger for all I was worth... the gun Never fired... Would not fire without the grip safety depressed. The Grip Safety works.. It's not dressing or an afterthought.. It is a serious/functional item.
    I carried 1911 condition 1 at work, front desk of hotel. Came out of the office, floor was wet, slipped and fell right on my gun. Boy was I glad it didn't fire. Edited from condition 0 to 1

Last edited:

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    I carried 1911 condition 0 at work, front desk of hotel. Came out of the office, floor was wet, slipped and fell right on my gun. Boy was I glad it didn't fire.
    Like dropping a rifle from a tree stand. Stunt testing or Ooops testing .. the least popular most dramatic kind. Glad nothing happened.. I wouldn't want to slip like that with any pistol/revolver... Not just the 1911. Ouch.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I really like this basic pistol for a few reasons.

Three (?) active safeties. The thumb safety, the blade safety, which kinda' and essentially takes the place of the grip safety, and my assumption of a drop safety. The question mark above.

It is a true hammer fired, single action only almost pocket gun in 9mm.

The metal alloy frame, instead of polymer.

The glare serrations on the metal slide are a nice touch. And though the sights are simple, they are metal and appear to be dovetailed to change out easier.

Round count is low by some standards but, for most situations, appear to be of enough capacity to get you outta Dodge.

I'm really interested to have one of these in my hand, putting a box or two of ammo down the pipe to see what it can do.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX

I don't carry it much because I'm skinny and it's not. Condition 1 is more likely for me because the thumb lever is so easy to use. My point is no safety is a real safety compared to proper handling.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    Interesting. . . . . .

But, I'm trying to standardize to things which accept GLOCK magazines.

Mais-la, I'm on the way "out"; y'all have fun learning single actions.

leVieux

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I carried a couple of Star 9mm (Models A and B) that way in the 70's and 80's. Now it is a Colt Delta Elite. Only difference was the lack of a grip safety on the Stars.
    I carried a Firestar in Condition Two for awhile....never trusted a SA auto with only a thumb safety. I've learned more since then.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Reactions: gll

OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia
    I carried a Firestar in Condition Two for awhile....never trusted a SA auto with only a thumb safety. I've learned more since then.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    Carried/Carry in a thumbbreak holster. puts a strap between the hammer and the firing pin. Just one more safety.

Top Bottom