• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Memories of my bolt action 7.62 x 39 rifle... The army surplus stores in Houston had the ammo in big barrels. A nickle each.
    Late 1960's. Can't imagine shooting those in a light weight AR of any kind.

hallowzeve

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Lakeway
    AR platform all day.
    I've got several of both, and the AK's have essentially become additional storage for my dust collection.
    I've been building AR47's for about 12 years now.
    The magazine issues of the early days have largely been addressed. The firing pins are all extended and harded at this point. The only "Failures" I've ever had was a couple broken extractors, and I've had those on 5.56's as well.
    One thing not covered is the buffer spring. While x39will work just fine with a 5.56 spring, they will fatigue after a while.
    We had the springco guy do a custom rate buffer spring for us back in the day for our dedicated builds to help soak up some of that extra recoil and extend the spring life.
    I'd recommend a slightly stiffer spring in a standard ar build.

Surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but I recently picked up an MCX Spear LT in x39, and it's absolutely a dream to shoot.

I have a 5.56 and 300 setup for it as well, but x39 seems to have a permanent residence on it so far. It makes for one heck of a Hog gun. (try putting NV or thermal on an AK)
    Shoots brass, steel, russian, igman, the spear lt just doesn't care. Man, it's really, really accurate with decent ammo.
    I'm considering selling the .300 barrel and bolt since I basically just shoot .300 subs with a Honey Badger, and use x39 in the ar's or mcx for supers these days.

I do love me some AK, but improved ergonomics, better barrel and optic options on the ar platform are really causing the AK platform to show it's age.

If the market picks up, Ive had my eye on some kypcyk furniture for the krinker, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I bought the Galil Ace for the x39 caliber. used it as a pig thumper, but wasn’t impressed with the accuracy. For that price point I felt I could sell and buy several cheaper rifles and get the same results. Sold it and did buy an unfired JM stamp Ruger mini 30, which I have yet to fire

Attachments

• Resized_20190216_164031.jpeg
      Resized_20190216_164031.jpeg
      324.2 KB · Views: 13

User1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Texas
    Had a 7.62x39 AR. Jammed like crazy. The guy I sold it to said he drilled the gas ports out a little and it worked perfect. Idk if that was the right thing to do or not but my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    AR platform all day.

The magazine issues of the early days have largely been addressed. The firing pins are all extended and harded at this point. The only "Failures" I've ever had was a couple broken extractors, and I've had those on 5.56's as well.
    One thing not covered is the buffer spring. While x39will work just fine with a 5.56 spring, they will fatigue after a while.
    We had the springco guy do a custom rate buffer spring for us back in the day for our dedicated builds to help soak up some of that extra recoil and extend the spring life.
    I'd recommend a slightly stiffer spring in a standard ar build.
    I run a Strike Ind. flat wire spring in my piston AR47. They are known to out last round wire springs.
    The now defunct Adams Arms said to use a carbine gas length on the 18" barrel, for whatever reason, but I went mid-length. Probably why people were breaking bolts trying to unlock them too soon.

Shit ammo, that sets the head space too tight can cause both bolt issues, and extractor breakage.
    Tip: Don't ever run Norma ammo, the base to the shoulder length is off by a mile. This puts so much pressure on the bolt lugs that you will get erratic ejection, and you will have to pry the bolt open to eject an unfired round.
    Mine runs very well on Winchester & Belom ammo.

Have had ZERO issues with Dura / C-Products mags.

Top Bottom