• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    3 shots at 500m, how many hits? You really took that shot, freehand standing? Why? How long to hike the distance to get to the target? Yup, saw Butkis take a ram shot across a river and down it - can be done. But took an hour to find/get a boat across the river.
    1 hit, buck was walking even after first 2 shots, across a canyon while standing in knee deep snow with light snow falling. took two of us all day to get it to where an atv could bring it out, just West of Guffey CO/ We had to follow the herd trail several times because where he fell the snow was waist deep and he had slid forward under the snow. we learned from that and my next hunt there my pard shot a buck at 375 yards from the hood of my pickup and we back up to the bottom of the rise and drug it down til it slid onto the tailgate. He used a 1954 Mannlicher 30.06 which I had traded to him for a Registered Spanish Mustang. Horse was named Tequila and stood me on my head and ass so often that I gave the devil away 3 years later!
    I used to compete in Mexican silhouettes which is all offhand and the rams were at 500 meters,
    I would not take even a 400 yard shot from a rest today

psledoux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2015
    I am trying to decide on a rifle and cartridge that will not break the bank and will take any game in Texas/Oklahoma up to 600 yards. I'm also looking at this from a preparedness angle for what kind of ammo will be more likely to be available if it gets hard to find again. What are your thoughts? Will 3030 still be effective at that difference? I lean 308 for various reasons, but I'm also fond on 3006 and lever guns. TIA
    I don't think anyone on here takes game at 600 yards. That's a long ass shot. If you haven't gone hunting before, I would recommend you get a nice 30-30 lever action rifle with a good 1x6 scope on it. Should be good for up to 200 yards and will take down most game in Texas. That would be a good starting rifle for you.

If you want a flatter shooting rifle, I would go with a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 or .270. The .243 gives you a flatter and longer range. The .270 gives you more knockdown power. You will be able to use .243 Winchester and .243 Weatherby magnum ammo in the rifle. Sight at 25 yards. This will give you accurate shots from 200 up to 400 yards.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I don't think anyone on here takes game at 600 yards. That's a long ass shot. If you haven't gone hunting before, I would recommend you get a nice 30-30 lever action rifle with a good 1x6 scope on it. Should be good for up to 200 yards and will take down most game in Texas. That would be a good starting rifle for you.

If you want a flatter shooting rifle, I would go with a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 or .270. The .243 gives you a flatter and longer range. The .270 gives you more knockdown power. You will be able to use .243 Winchester and .243 Weatherby magnum ammo in the rifle. Sight at 25 yards. This will give you accurate shots from 200 up to 400 yards.
    Weatherby never made a 243 Weatherby Magnum they made what they called a 240 Weatherby magnum and it won't chamber in a 243 Winchester chambered rifle.
    Only thing in common is the bullet itself.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Got a friend who's from Guffy, Co. Wife went on a visit there, said there wasn't much but a cafe/gas station.

psledoux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2015
    Weatherby never made a 243 Weatherby Magnum they made what they called a 240 Weatherby magnum and it won't chamber in a 243 Winchester chambered rifle.
    Only thing in common is the bullet itself.
    You are right. I was on their website and looking at a .243 Vanguard. It said it would shoot .243 Weatherby ammo and standard ammo. I assumed they meant a .243 Weatherby magnum. The .243 will shoot .243 Winchester. Sorry about the mistake.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Got a friend who's from Guffy, Co. Wife went on a visit there, said there wasn't much but a cafe/gas station.
    Wow they have a gas station now? The restaurant bar is the Bull Moose, great dancing pool country bar, right down to the corral for locals to ride horses to the bar!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    The 30/06 is to what the 30/30 is famous for.

30/30 has killed more deer then any other cartridge going. Wives tale

The 30/06 can shoot shoot 220 gr Bear and Moose bullets as well as 55 grain Accelerators for varmints. That shit stopped in the 60s

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    DISCLAIMER: I do not hunt. (I do enjoy fishing IF I decide to fish.)

My late husband was NOT into hunting.

I do NOT live in Texas. I live in Western Montana.

Two or three choices that you mentioned and IF you only want to buy one caliber rifle.

Longer OR shorter distances - various types of terrain AND various types of animals = 30-06 Springfield bolt action rifle.

That is what my Montana born and raised husband said to tell you.

He said that he does NOT hunt animals (ELK, deer, etc.) at that long of a distance that you mentioned too. He said a BUNCH about that hunting issue but I can't type it all down to you with my old, sore and arthritic hands now.

He does hunt at various lengths and in various types of terrain. He does TARGET shoot at long distances for sport, is a VERY good shot BUT he is VERY SPECIFIC when it comes to HUNTING and so forth. Ethical hunting - one shot - one kill. He does NOT shoot at those long distances that you mentioned. Etc.

He has shot guns all of his life even as a KID with his late Dad or an older relative too.

When I decided to CHOOSE my FIRST centerfire RIFLE after I moved out west, I decided on a WINCHESTER 30-30 CALIBER in a MADE IN CT - MARLIN 336C lever action rifle. Walnut and blued steel. I KNEW that I would NOT hunt but I wanted a good, simple and quality made rifle like my RF ones. I wanted MY CF rifle for woods/wilderness protection. That was MY main reason even though I used to carry a quality large caliber CF handgun on me ALWAYS in the woods/wilderness. Shoulder holster or a Triple K western leather belt with a holster.

My MT husband gave me 2 leather slings and I liked the plainer, leather, military style sling over the prettier scrolled leather sling for that MARLIN 336C rifle too. Former rifle of mine.

And IF I still shot CF rifles and out of the various CF rifles in LEVER ACTION BRANDS that I used to LOVE, own and shoot in 3 SPECIFIC CF CARTRIDGES = 30-30 Winchester AND 2 specific CF pistol calibers in 45Long Colt and 357Magnum... I would STILL CHOOSE A 30-30 WINCHESTER for ONE MAIN CF CALIBER RIFLE for myself. But I KNEW that I was not hunting or shooting WAY OFF at longer distances. But IF I ever did DECIDE TO HUNT and for MY own hunting decisions and distances - the 30-30 Win CALIBER would work for ME.

My husband's downsizing and CALIBER consolidation in RIFLES:

30-30 Winchester

30-06 Springfield

45-70 Government

He sold the .223 bolt action rifle and special ordered his 22-250 BOLT action rifle.

Plus he has various 22lr and two 22wmr rifles too.

Plus a few handguns. NO shotguns now.

I gave him my LAST 2 firearms - CZ bolt action rifles in 22lr and 22wmr but I still shoot them. I do NOT own, shoot or carry handguns at all and have not for some time now due to my old lady hands.

He DOES reload and has since the EARLY 70'S. He has some factory ammo on hand too.

I do NOT reload and never did reload but I did consider doing this with my late husband. AFTER he died back east, I had NO desire to do this.

Even though I do NOT choose to RELOAD, I have NO interest in it for MYSELF, I do HELP my husband and some VERY close friends SEARCH for STUFF. In the past and recently for the 22-250 BRASS and factory ammo for my husband.

So even my OWN CHOICE for my own needs/wants IF I was still shooting a CF rifle would DIFFER from my own husband living in the same house and state.

I DO still carry and USE fixed blade knives with NO problems.

Plus axes and 'hawks.

I have good and bad days.

Best wishes to YOU.

Old Lady Cate

PS: TOP calibers if I only wanted or needed 2 or even 3 RIFLES for myself still are pretty much the same.

I LOVEeeeee 22WMR caliber rifles in BOLT and LEVER ACTION RIFLES only.

And IF I still had GOOD HANDS and I could ONLY afford 2 of them at a younger age, I would PICK:

ONE 30-30 Winchester caliber rifle. CF choice.

ONE 22lr rifle OR only ONE 22wmr rifle. RF choice.

I ALWAYS liked to share AMMO with pistol caliber rifles AND handguns too.

BUT when it comes to the COST of things especially if I was just starting out and on a BUDGET - I would consider the 30-30 Win AND the 22lr since 22wmr ammunition does COST MORE in this day and age as in the PAST too. WE have plenty of that ON HAND and 22lr ammo but some people do not.

And for a time frame, once I discovered shooting 22wmr OUT of a rifle and not just out of a handgun in a SWEET Ruger single action convertible with 2 cylinders... I thought that IF I ever went to ONLY ONE RIFLE... I would choose the 22wmr out of a lever action or out of a bolt action rile. Man, oh man, some of my heavier walnut lever action rifles were beautiful but HEAVY as I got older and so forth with old injuries thrown in with arthritis.

TYPOS!

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I am trying to decide on a rifle and cartridge that will not break the bank and will take any game in Texas/Oklahoma up to 600 yards. I'm also looking at this from a preparedness angle for what kind of ammo will be more likely to be available if it gets hard to find again. What are your thoughts? Will 3030 still be effective at that difference? I lean 308 for various reasons, but I'm also fond on 3006 and lever guns. TIA
    Welcome!

Old Lady Cate

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom