• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You bring up taking game animals at 600 yards and budget concerns.

I think you're dreaming of ethical shots that far. It does rely heavily on your budget though.

You can get a cheap rifle but you better buy a ton of ammo to practice with. Buy a better rifle and you'll need less ammo for practice.

The fact that you bring up a 30-30 in a discussion of 600 yard shots tells me you need to do a lot more learning before you buy any equipment.

I don't think you have any clue what it takes to make a 600 yard kill shot on anything.

We're here to help but you really need to learn the basics and ask better questions.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I shoot all 3 calibers and reload all of them. The .30-30 is a great round, but realistically it's not for long distance. It's nice to have a lever action rifle with you on your ATV just in case you need to bust a hog or something, but tubular magazines require flat nose bullets and that further decreases distance. (Yes, I know there are .30-30's without tubular magazines, like the Savage 99.) The .308 is the child of the venerable .30-06. It comes close to the same velocity and it shoots most of the same bullets. If you're going semi-auto, then of course the .308 is the round of choice. In bolt action, I favor the .30-06. It gives me the energy to comfortably take a longer shot (though honestly 600 yards exceeds that length by quite a bit). I've noticed that rifles shooting the '06 tend to be less sensitive to the bullet being used. My .308 bolt action (that I've sold off) was extremely sensitive to the bullet weight and velocity. It liked heavy and slow bullets (e.g., 180 grain), and the impacts would spread out with lighter rounds. For reloading, the '06 will also work with a wider variety of powders, a good thing in these days when availability is compromised.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I agree with everything except “much past 300 yards” unless your are talking about larger game. For most animals the size of or smaller than a mule deer the proper bullet and shot placement will go the job. The issue is putting the bullet in the right spot, which very few can do in the field.
    Why I put the disclaimer “typically “in there. I have shot one deer at almost 400 yards with a .308, a 150 grain sierra game king, killed the deer, did not leave an exit wound or a blood trail. She walked off after the hit about 30 feet. After that I keep my .308 shooting to 300 or less. If I need to shoot at animals farther than that, it is .300 win mag.

Not saying it won’t kill deer past 300, but your shot placement has to be near perfect.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Here's a little more context to the question:

I am familiar with the very, very basics of 308 and 3006 capabilities. I'm not a novice shooter, but I am a novice hunter. And 600 yards and change happens to be the distance from my front porch to the front gate, and I'd like to be able to adequately drop anything in between. Much of the land I have access to has line of sight 8-900 yards or better, with a mix of some brush keeping visibility sub 100 yards. But the short distance is not my primary concern here. And game can range from pigs to deer, but I also want to be able to deal with the rare, but occasional, mountain lions and black bears that are spotted from time to time. Predators that LGDs can't handle.
    Not sure of your particular situation or where your land is at but Grayson County is an archery only county for white tails. Also black bear is a protected species in Texas and I definitely wouldn't shoot one unless harm were imminent

Means and Methods Restriction: During youth and general seasons lawful means are restricted to lawful archery equipment and crossbows only, including MLDP properties. During archery-only season, crossbows are unlawful except for individuals with a physician-certified, upper-limb disability as defined in the means and methods section.

Always remember: Bears are protected in Texas!

Let me know if you need a hunting buddy, I am over in Bonham :cool:

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    .30-06. It has killed more of America's enemies than anything else.

IMG_20220824_004701.jpg

Don't be a commie.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Considering the things you’ve said @CATI1836 - it sounds to me that a primary concern for you is to determine the distance that you sight-in and know the amount of drop (or rise) for shots made other than your sight-in distance…. The amounts can be quite considerable with the varied ranges you might consider.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    wheretoshootdeer.jpg

According to Outdoor Life, the “ethical kill zone” for a deer is about a 4-5” diameter circle indicated above.
    At 600 yards, that’s a sub MOA shot with no wind, obstructions or movement, et al, with about 1/3 the muzzle energy remaining.
    Not a high probability of success.

200 yards with 2/3 the muzzle energy is only a 2+ MOA shot many can make.

Good luck.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Info is available on reloading sites and from bullet manufactures. Forget the 3030, and 308 at 600 yds, let's just go for the 3006.
    Your performance will vary. From a major manufacture. 150 gr spitzer boat tail, muzzle velocity 3000fps. Zero at 100 yards. Bullet drop at 500 yards 52 inches. Bullet speed at 500 yards 1800 fps. They don't list 600 yards but basic math puts it around 70 inch drop, at about 1350 fps.

Look at the previous post, can you make that shot?

1725235335843.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Info is available on reloading sites and from bullet manufactures. Forget the 3030, and 308 at 600 yds, let's just go for the 3006.
    Your performance will vary. From a major manufacture. 150 gr spitzer boat tail, muzzle velocity 3000fps. Zero at 100 yards. Bullet drop at 500 yards 52 inches. Bullet speed at 500 yards 1800 fps. They don't list 600 yards but basic math puts it around 70 inch drop, at about 1350 fps.

Look at the previous post, can you make that shot?

View attachment 471448
    Let’s be real. The 600 yard shot isn’t going to happen. Shouldn’t even be a consideration.

CATI1836

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2019
    Sherman
    Not sure of your particular situation or where your land is at but Grayson County is an archery only county for white tails. Also black bear is a protected species in Texas and I definitely wouldn't shoot one unless harm were imminent

Let me know if you need a hunting buddy, I am over in Bonham :cool:
    Thanks for the info. I hope I never have to take a bear. I'd just prefer to have 1 rifle to handle any critter I might want to eat or that might eat me.

I used to live in Bonham - still go to church there.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    In theory you could push a .30-30 to be acceptable at 600 yards, but you won't get there with factory ammo, and you're going to want a strong action, like a ruger no.1 or a custom 700 action.

cckirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    Sealy Texas
    I have a friend that shoots long range. He has a couple of Remington 700 looking actions in 308 with hi dollar glass. They are not field grade sporters and more kind to bench guns. My bullberry tuned emcore with Leopold 6-18 wasn't in the same league as them past 300yds and it shoots pretty good.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    S

So you gonna tell the OP he will need a 338 Lapua to get a bullet drop down to 12 inches at 600 yards?

Nope, just that he needs to consider his shooting abilities. Maybe get a 6” plate and put it at varied distances between 300 and 600 yards. See how many first round hits he really gets without a nice bench to sit at and a known distance.

It’s not impossible. And I don’t think 600 yards is an extreme distance. But as someone else said, you’re looking at moa shooting by 600. The wind is gonna be the real issue.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom